Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

Map Status and Map Bug Reports

Nothing to report on my maps, sorry.

I've been quite busy as of late as we've had a baby daughter. :)

Does Freedoom have a MAP09.
I see one in the last release, but it is "not started" in your list.

I started on a map09, "The pit". It is just barely playable now, but very rough. It features a big mud pit, with Hell Knights stuck in it.
That part has worked out well. The rest of it could end up completely changed.

But then, I do not know if I should finish it now, there is so much else to be done (in many projects).

Is FreeDoom in need of a map09 ??

Is anyone working on Map01.
It has those few fixes needed, which would be easy enough to do.
Just change that F_SKY1 floor to anything else.
But all that strange stuff off to the right looks like left over experiments, and I have no idea if that needs fixing (or even why it is there).

I would turn that exit button sideways, so the button on the back can
be "discovered" without a cheat sheet. Maybe put something secret or otherwise worth discovering or exploring in that hidden passage, so it is worth going through. Probably make that room across the pit accessible and involved in the play.
Maybe add at least one key.

I have fixed YADEX to handle Boom colormaps, and have fixed a few
other bugs in it too (almost ready to submit bug fix to YADEX site).
I could probably fix the MAP01 colormap too if I can figure out what needs to be done.

I will fix map01, it has some overlap of something.

Map09 is already in Ultimate Freedoom. It was originally in Ultimate Freedoom but was moved into Freedoom to fill in a map since a few releases ago we were short on maps. Now Freedoom's map slots are all full I opened up MAP09.

Yadex? Should try Slade. I think it maps much more easily.

I must have tried 4 times to get Slade. I have two copies, but they are old and just executables (probably windows). I run Linux, and could run FreeDos, or FreeDos under dosemu (which I have yet to get working well), but I do not run windows, not even under dosemu.

I have yadex sources, and I fix anything that gives me trouble.
It had a couple of serious bugs that I have now fixed, one which trashed sidedefs due to a missing test. I have made it aware of Boom specials,
boom colormaps, and Legacy specials.

I have uploaded a MAP09 (The Pit) that I created for FreeDoom from scratch.
It is about 325 sectors.
Features a mud pit.
It is complete, all levels, with an exit.

See if it is compatible in style with FreeDoom. I won't do much more
work on it at this time as I have other things that have to be done.

i know im AFK a long time since i submit part of my map28, im start working again in the map with the little time i have, but i worry about the size of the map because in the way i see the map i think its going to be very big x3

(the other thing that keep me worried its the ideas i need to continue with the map since hellish map isnt my speciality).

EDIT:

this its the map28 i actually works: http://thewadsfactorystaff.i8.com/map28.zip

so only need to do the others 3 ways and the map its ready... but again i have a little question:

there its a limit size for the maps? i think this map its going to be more big than my map15...

and the other question: i put a fix for some part of my map and since my hosting close the service... i need to know:

if the wad i post get downloaded for fixing some of the map problems?...

well i think its all. sorry for my english x3

wesleyjohnson said:

But all that strange stuff off to the right looks like left over experiments, and I have no idea if that needs fixing (or even why it is there).

It is a copy of all the sectors which have the boom type 242 fogging effect applied. The geometry of those sectors is not important, but you do need to have them. The reason they look like a copy of the right-hand side of the map is because that's what they are: I wanted fogging, but I first finished the geometry, then made a copy of it all so I could be sure every sector that needed to be tagged was tagged.

There's an updated version of (the new) map10 here. It's still not finished but I have some spare time around 14th-20th December so I'll try to finish the map then.

Have an update to my MAP09 (Rev 2).
Adds a water treatment plant as exit battleground.
Removed some of the swamp and all the trees and plants as not being compatible with spaceport.

Because the FTP site is down, I cannot upload it to FreeDoom.
There needs to be a way to upload things and contribute without being a insider with total access to all repositories.

wesleyjohnson said:

I have yadex sources, and I fix anything that gives me trouble.
It had a couple of serious bugs that I have now fixed, one which trashed sidedefs due to a missing test. I have made it aware of Boom specials, boom colormaps, and Legacy specials.

Have you uploaded these patches anywhere?

Hey, I'm new to the Freedoom project, and I like it very much--I'm about 2/3 of the way through playing the levels now. I used to make PWADs pretty regularly in the 1990s and I'd be happy to make some levels for Freedoom--I see that many levels are either incomplete or apparently not yet begun. Should I just pick an incomplete level from the Freedoom IWAD that isn't already spoken for in the first post in this thread, and start working on it?

Also, I see that there's at least two Linux WAD editors out there, Deutex and Yadex. I haven't tried either yet (I used DOS for all my past experience with making WADs)--is one particularly more recommended than the other?

There are many Ultimate Freedoom mapslots that need maps. Just pick a mapslot you want.

I use Slade in linux. I made a README for Slade that has all the info you need to compile it.
You want Slade 2, Slade 3 is not fully functional yet.
http://ftpusers.coffeenet.org/~cato/freedoom/tools/slade.README
Binaries if you would rather not compile.
http://ftpusers.coffeenet.org/~cato/freedoom/tools/slade_beta_20.tar

Chapayev said:

Also, I see that there's at least two Linux WAD editors out there, Deutex and Yadex. I haven't tried either yet (I used DOS for all my past experience with making WADs)--is one particularly more recommended than the other?

They are different kinds of tools. Yadex is a level editor. Deutex is used to compose or decompose WAD files.

Actually, I am going to back out after all, sorry--I tried Yadex and Slade natively in Linux (which involved fixing some C errors that kept Yadex 1.7.0 from compiling) as well as Slade, Doom Builder 1, and Doom Builder 2 in WINE, without any luck getting any of them running to the point where they could produce a PWAD that wouldn't crash prboom on trying to load the level. Sorry to back out so quickly.

Chapayev said:

without any luck getting any of them running to the point where they could produce a PWAD that wouldn't crash prboom on trying to load the level.

It sounds like you just didn't build the nodes (like: glbsp my.wad -o my.wad).

I have been doing all my MAP09 and MAP13 work on Linux using Yadex,
and zennode, running native. I have all tools working, and I test wads using Legacy and PrBoom.

After editing with yadex, you MUST, MUST, run the wad through zennode (or bsp, or someother nodebuilder) or it will crash most every known engine including legacy and prboom. Yadex does not build the nodes, but only edits the level map. Some editors will build the nodes too, but zennode is much better (and bsp is good too). Some twisted levels can still crash the engine if the node builder cannot cope with some extensive twisted sector, so in some extreme cases you must cut a really large twisted sector into two.

If the yadex check sectors does not return clean, it is likely the map will crash the engine, because most engines will not tolerate an inconsistent level map.

Yadex saves levels as individual wads, such as map13.wad
They must be run through zennode or bsp, such as "zennode map13.wad".
Then test as "prboom -file map13.wad".
To put into a wad you must then use xwadtools, which is a suite of most all of the wad building tools ported to linux by the same person/people that wrote yadex.
Zennode and xwadtools will compile on linux without problems (that I remember).

I had to edit yadex source and have some patches that I was going to post to the yadex site someday. There are some bugs in yadex, and the posted patches for notepad computers without some keys, mess up the old behavior for normal computers.

I do not know how to get patch files to you right now.
Email maybe??
I could load them up to that file sharing service and post the number ??
I could load them up to freedoom/incoming for all to use, if that is working again ???

Do you want to have my changes ???

I have uploaded my MAP09 changes to speedyshare, which means that someone will have to go fetch them.

MAP09 rev 3.
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/20562473/johnson_map09_03.zip

MAP09 rev 4.
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/20562290/johnson_map09_04.zip

*** UPDATE
MAP09 rev 3. and rev 4. and Hell Knight fix (johnson_bos2) have been uploaded to incoming site.
Thanks to Jon getting incoming working again.

Latest MAP13 uploaded to incoming site.

Fixed some door frame textures and window texture alignment.
Finished the room near the exit, added some contents to make fighting interesting.
Moved a monster transport dest.
Tuned ammo and weapons.
Made Hard level more difficult by adding some monsters at the start
area to guard the approaches to the ammo room.

I await comments on MAP13.
- Too large ??
- Too difficult (too easy ??) ???
- Keep the elevator ?? It would save a few sectors, and could be done without. I do not remove it because it completes the building design
and I am not sure the level needs to be smaller.
I have considered changes that would make the elevator more important, but the map elements are too interconnected now to move anything.

sorry for the long wait. im about 75% done to the map 28. sorry for the long time i got doing it, but since i have less time thanks to my school. but i hope finish the map when im finish the Exam period. Btw im going to search another host for my files, since geocities close their service, im lost all the hosting i have for my wads.

see ya!

Latest MAP09 (rev 5, johnson_map09_04.zip) loaded to incoming site.

Moved a few objects, like the super shotgun.
Added some benches to stand upon in the waterlogged areas so the player can get a breath of air and look around.

Moved the red weapons room in the mine, changed the mine shaft layout, added an air shaft, and added another corridor, so as to keep the revenants from meeting the player at the top of the only elevator (which is the only way in to that area).

Vastly expanded cave system in northwest corner of map.

Sorry for the long wait... school keep me really busy but after a long time i finished map 28. i dont very good with hellish map i really like to do maps base theme, but well here is the map 28. i know... the last part just seem to be too quickly...

well anyways i dont know how hard its the map i really want have feed back about this one.

sorry i dont have web hosting for my files so many wads from my website its down so i upload it in rapidshares...

http://rapidshare.com/files/388148543/map28.rar.html (fix)

lol im know bad english... but hey im just start to talk in english again since im start to play q3a too **.