Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bastet Furry

European Doomer Meeting, the interest gathering thread

As proposed by me in the "Doom in Europe"-Thread i want to plan an European Doomer Meeting but first i want to know how many would drive for a long weekend (Friday-Sunday) full of dooming to Bochum Germany.

As stated i have access to a cheap/maybe even free location inside an old bombshelter.
It has a huge attic and we held several (C64-Demoscene) partys there, pictures of the parties, and hence the location, are on slengpung:
click me!
click me too!
One picture showing the attic (ignore the nerds and the old computers... ;) ):
http://www.slengpung.com/pics/Retro%20Copy%20Convention/12237.jpg

If we would be at least 16 people i would say, lets party!

A doom map of the Bunker so you know of what place i speak of, the partyplace would be in the huge attic.
It should be up to scale but dont nail me on the centimeter and some little details might be wrong, like the amount of windows in the attic.
Here it is:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/vycrgk
Should even work in vanillia...
And if you find the room with the green carpet, thats mine. ;)

If it's in this period, count me out. College exam session aside, I'd have to book a flight in time too.

To be fair, I'm free from 15 to 21 of February, but don't count on me coming, because I've never made a trip for myself.

Besides, I'll have to see who else comes there, because I don't know everyone.

I wouldn't bring my computer and join the whole party for days, because I don't like LAN parties and I have other things to do also. But since it is only like 2 hours driving for me, I would certainly consider showing up for one day, just to meet some folks. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

I am tempted, I will admit. Could bring my laptop and arse along to Germany with some ease as I live close to London and will have a bit of money. BUT that money should probably be saved for my final year at uni, and a job is quite unlikely for me.

Did you misspell 'internet' as 'interest'?

Still, I don't think I'd go there just to play a netgame. That I can do online as well.

Did you misspell 'internet' as 'interest'?

No, no misspell.

Still, I don't think I'd go there just to play a netgame. That I can do online as well.

And yeah, you could play a netgame over the net, but can you see AND talk, as in speaking and not just reading and writing, with your fellow doomers over the net?

If you would take that to the demoscene then there would be no Breakpoint, no Evoke, no Northpole, no tUm, ...

On such a party you would have compos and other things, like people explaining stuff to an audience, or big guys from the scene speaking about some topic.
Graf Zahl speaking about UDMF? Might be.
CodeImp talking about the history of Doombuilder? If he comes and wants to...

To make an example for the doom world: ever mapped with an audience? On a bigscreen?

Yeah, the first meeting might suck in some places, but you have to start somewhere. :)

TL;DR:
Its not just about playing doom, its also about the creative process inside the doomscene.

Bastet Furry said:

TL;DR:
Its not just about playing doom, its also about the creative process inside the doomscene.

Heh, speedmapping sessions followed by everyone playing those maps would be cool. Too bad I'm unable to join. :(

Bastet Furry said:

And yeah, you could play a netgame over the net, but can you see AND talk, as in speaking and not just reading and writing, with your fellow doomers over the net?

If you would take that to the demoscene then there would be no Breakpoint, no Evoke, no Northpole, no tUm, ...

On such a party you would have compos and other things, like people explaining stuff to an audience, or big guys from the scene speaking about some topic.
Graf Zahl speaking about UDMF? Might be.
CodeImp talking about the history of Doombuilder? If he comes and wants to...

To make an example for the doom world: ever mapped with an audience? On a bigscreen?

Yeah, the first meeting might suck in some places, but you have to start somewhere. :)

TL;DR:

That's better than just going to a LAN party. I'm three countries away from Germany, so the effort has to be worth it in my case.

How about the lodging?

How about the lodging?

Somewhere inside the Bunker, in the summer its a nice 20-22°C inside. :)
Consider bringing one of these inflatable sleeping matresses(sp?).

There will be a small entrance fee (10-15€) that will mostly go towards catering.
(Buns, stuff for the buns, warm supper, beer, cola and similar stuff, ...)

BTW1: If someone comes by plane and i know the time and the airport, i can arrange a "shuttle-service".
BTW2: If someone who has interest in this party comes from the Ruhrpott area, drop me a PM, i could use some helping hands/co-organizers. ;)

Sounds interesting.

It's not too far from where I live, but right now the weekend of Februari 20th seems like my only available option for quite a while.
And it would just be for 1 day.

This could be fun. I doubt I will be able to make it though. I'll keep a lookout on this topic and maybe.

id love to go, but the fact it is in another country is completley stopping me. i have a passport and all, its just travel costs. and time. and age, probably...