Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vdgg

What do the monsters say?

40oz said:

Also I've always wondered how people are able to detect that the archvile's death sound is a mutated version of a girl saying "why", because I dont hear it at all.

I can kinda hear it, but I believe Bobby Prince said so himself he got some girl saying "why" and distorted it and added other sounds to it.

One of the imp sounds in the Doom 3 alpha sounds similar to the Hell knight's death sound.

Edit:not beta, alpha

Yeah, I watched some videos. Disappointing I must say. It's the same sound, really. I'm glad they changed it. Hearing such a familiar sound would have only triggered chuckles.

Wow, this is interesting thing.
I hear Baphomet say "Die you fools for the deadly sin."
And sometimes Fatty says "Mohamah"

The explosion sound, when sped up, sounds very much like something being slammed against a piece of sheet metal.

When I played Doom 2 and first reached the SS Nazi's, I thought they said

"Shoot double!" (when activated)
"Who's leaving!" (when killed)

Of course, I never played Wolfenstein that time, nor did I (still don't) quite know German.

I only found out about what they really say when I had proper internet access.

J-selva said:

nor did I (still don't) quite know German.

I think it's safe to say the same thing of their voice actors. :p

The Mancubus is saying "I'M YER MUM" when he/she/it fires, which makes a surprising amount of sense.

I heard the Icon of Sin say "Earth will die even if you win at the edge of Nerub" when I was younger.

...it didn't make much sense back then, either.

Not on the topic of Doom monsters, but has anyone ever noticed that the Strogg soldiers in Quake 2 often yell "Fuck you" upon dying? Even in the N64 version.. unless I've just been mishearing it all these years.

vdgg said:

Arch-Vile - I read somewhere it's a distorted "why" but I don't hear it.

uh, i think arch vile when dies says "I AM A ARCH VILE!"...

whatever, when commandeer keen dies in map32, i think to heard "tutto bene" (translated form italian: all right) with a crazy voice effect....

I don't know what the Icon Of Sin is supposed to be saying, but to me it sounds like "oremor nhoj, em llik tsum uoy, emag eht niw ot". Probably just audio pareidolia, though...

CODOR said:

I don't know what the Icon Of Sin is supposed to be saying, but to me it sounds like "oremor nhoj, em llik tsum uoy, emag eht niw ot". Probably just audio pareidolia, though...

Before I knew what it said, it sounded similar to this:
"Orangor nye eem vuliae ex of amaze de nema woot".

Reversing that phonetically you can see how close it comes to what is actually said ;)

When I first started playing Doom, all the monsters used to say "Beep"

Eventually I got a soundcard.

Gez said:

Video

Pretty clearly we've got a couple of Demons and what I guess might be a Baron? There's some infighting going on.

A Baron and 2 Demons. lol.

Not 100% Doom related, but when I finished Heretic in a single weekend back in 1996, I swear I could hear D'Sparil saying "Γράψε την μεταφραση" ("Grapse tin metafrasi" == "Write the translation") in Greek!

Incidentally (?) I had to do a longish ancient Greek translation as homework for Monday...which I wasn't very enthusiastic about. I think I flunked it or copied off at the last minute or something...

This event haunted me for years, until I verified that the actual sound was "Surrender to D'Sparil" recorded backwards, which does indeed sound very close to the above phrase, especially the first word containing the "raps" part.

Well. Heretic is a special case where you think you can hear some silly stuff.

I've always thought the disciples chanting sounds like they are saying (in swedish mind you, so this is a translation from that) "Here comes radio yoshi!"

And D'sparil's chanting sounds like (again in Swedish) "Here you see demented us!"

In all the years i've played Doom i never thought the monsters said anything. They just made grunts, growls, and roars you'd expect monsters to make.

One of my hopeless friends back in HS thought the Disciples' active sound said "Is there a god in a hoochie?"

Necros20 said:

In all the years i've played Doom i never thought the monsters said anything. They just made grunts, growls, and roars you'd expect monsters to make.

This.

With the exception of the SS Nazis, of course. I always assumed they were speaking German (which they supposedly are), so I never gave them any English phrases. Before I could access the internet, I thought they were saying "Sheirstoffel" when awakening (which was pretty close) and "Reh-c-bith!" when killed (which was not close).

Some of my perceptions:

Imp: Aaaaaahhhhh (active) errrrrrr (death1) ooooooooo (death2) ohhh-ehhh-ohhh (pain)
Demon: lehhh-luuu (active) zulllz (bite) oh-wo (death) ohhhwww (pain)
Spider-Demon: woo-wee-lee (active) waha-waha-waha... (moving)
Cyberdemon: Moo!! (active) ROAR! (death)

Also, from what Kate said earlier... There are people in this world who weigh/have weighed more than 1k pounds, meaning they are indeed heavier than a cyberdemon. I have to imagine it weights more than 853 lbs.

kristus said:

I've always thought the disciples chanting sounds like they are saying (in swedish mind you, so this is a translation from that) "Here comes radio yoshi!"

I think they are reversible aren't they?