Sign in to follow this  
printz

I want to wiki the documentation

Should I do this?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should I do this?

• Yes.
    • No.

I'm copying the contents of EDITREF.HTML 1.90 (the latest EE documentation) to the wiki (http://eternity.youfailit.net). I am going to write a headpage for each "Part", which branches off to each of its "Sections". I really like how BOOMREF/EDITREF is written, and I'd like to make it appear on the Net. And since it's old, after I finish copying it, someone else with deeper knowledge would have to update it with the new stuff. Then, it will have to be linked to from the wiki startpage.

Anyway, is this a good or bad idea? So if it's a bad idea I know to stop and not clog the wiki.

Yeah but people rarely edit the youfailit wiki, but others lead the mappers there anyway. Oh fine then.

Ok, there it is: http://eternity.youfailit.net/index.php?title=Linedef_types
It's not my writing, and it belongs to version before Simorgh. It's taken from that editref.html until (excluding) "detailed generalized specification". I only added data to the Portal linedef types, by linking to the already existing Linked portals. Most of the pages lack much of the possible important hyperlinks, but I formatted them. I may have to learn some more wiki formatting probably. Some of the data may have to be updated to Nekhbet level.

Thankfully, nothing yet links to my created article.

Ok, I added most of EDITREF, except ExtraData (which has its own document) and Detailed generalized (which either is time-based -- we see there about BOOM and DETH --, repeated or too techy).

Here's the finality. Master, add a link to it from the main page :)

Cool! Some of that stuff could probably be eventually rewritten into a more tutorial-esque form, but having it moved onto the wiki is a good starting point. Thanks, printz :)

Careful when documenting codepointers. Something like RemovePod originates straight from Heretic, so it's not "new to Eternity".

Here's the list of Heretic codepointers (some are shared with Doom):

AccTeleGlitter
AddPlayerCorpse
AddPlayerRain
BeakAttackPL1
BeakAttackPL2
BeakRaise
BeakReady
BeastAttack
BeastPuff
BlueSpark
BoltSpark
BossDeath
Chase
CheckBurnGone
CheckSkullDone
CheckSkullFloor
ChicAttack
ChicChase
ChicLook
ChicPain
ClinkAttack
ContMobjSound
DeathBallImpact
DripBlood
ESound
Explode
FaceTarget
Feathers
FireBlasterPL1
FireBlasterPL2
FireCrossbowPL1
FireCrossbowPL2
FireGoldWandPL1
FireGoldWandPL2
FireMacePL1
FireMacePL2
FirePhoenixPL1
FirePhoenixPL2
FireSkullRodPL1
FireSkullRodPL2
FlameEnd
FlameSnd
FloatPuff
FreeTargMobj
GauntletAttack
GenWizard
GhostOff
HeadAttack
HeadFireGrow
HeadIceImpact
HideInCeiling
HideThing
ImpDeath
ImpExplode
ImpMeAttack
ImpMsAttack
ImpMsAttack2
ImpXDeath1
ImpXDeath2
InitKeyGizmo
InitPhoenixPL2
KnightAttack
Light0
Look
Lower
MaceBallImpact
MaceBallImpact2
MacePL1Check
MakePod
MinotaurAtk1
MinotaurAtk2
MinotaurAtk3
MinotaurCharge
MinotaurDecide
MntrFloorFire
MummyAttack
MummyAttack2
MummyFX1Seek
MummySoul
NoBlocking
Pain
PhoenixPuff
PodPain
RainImpact
Raise
ReFire
RemovePod
RestoreArtifact
RestoreSpecialThing1
RestoreSpecialThing2
Scream
ShutdownPhoenixPL2
SkullPop
SkullRodPL2Seek
SkullRodStorm
SnakeAttack
SnakeAttack2
Sor1Chase
Sor1Pain
Sor2DthInit
Sor2DthLoop
SorcererRise
SorDBon
SorDExp
SorDSph
SorRise
SorSightSnd
SorZap
SpawnRippers
SpawnTeleGlitter
SpawnTeleGlitter2
Srcr1Attack
Srcr2Attack
Srcr2Decide
StaffAttackPL1
StaffAttackPL2
UnHideThing
VolcanoBlast
VolcanoSet
VolcBallImpact
WeaponReady
WhirlwindSeek
WizAtk1
WizAtk2
WizAtk3
And the Hexen codepointers (some are shared with Doom and/or Heretic):
AddPlayerCorpse
BatMove
BatSpawn
BatSpawnInit
BellReset1
BellReset2
BishopAttack
BishopAttack2
BishopChase
BishopDecide
BishopDoBlur
BishopMissileSeek
BishopMissileWeave
BishopPainBlur
BishopPuff
BishopSpawnBlur
BounceCheck
BridgeInit
BridgeOrbit
CentaurAttack
CentaurAttack2
CentaurDefend
CentaurDropStuff
CFlameAttack
CFlameMissile
CFlamePuff
CFlameRotate
Chase
CheckBurnGone
CheckFloor
CheckSkullDone
CheckSkullFloor
CheckTeleRing
CheckThrowBomb
CHolyAttack
CHolyAttack2
CHolyCheckScream
CHolyPalette
CHolySeek
CHolySpawnPuff
CHolyTail
ClassBossHealth
ClericAttack
CMaceAttack
ContMobjSound
CorpseBloodDrip
CorpseExplode
CStaffAttack
CStaffCheck
CStaffCheckBlink
CStaffInitBlink
CStaffMissileSlither
DelayGib
Demon2Death
DemonAttack1
DemonAttack2
DemonDeath
DragonAttack
DragonCheckCrash
DragonFlap
DragonFlight
DragonFX2
DragonInitFlight
DragonPain
DropMace
ESound
EttinAttack
Explode
FaceTarget
FastChase
FAxeAttack
FHammerAttack
FHammerThrow
FighterAttack
FireConePL1
FiredAttack
FiredChase
FiredRocks
FiredSplotch
FlameCheck
FloatGib
FogMove
FogSpawn
FPunchAttack
FreeTargMobj
FreezeDeath
FreezeDeathChunks
FSwordAttack
FSwordFlames
HideThing
IceCheckHeadDone
IceGuyAttack
IceGuyChase
IceGuyDie
IceGuyLook
IceGuyMissileExplode
IceGuyMissilePuff
IceSetTics
KBolt
KBoltRaise
KoraxBonePop
KoraxChase
KoraxCommand
KoraxDecide
KoraxMissile
KoraxStep
KoraxStep2
KSpiritRoam
LastZap
LeafCheck
LeafSpawn
LeafThrust
Light0
LightningClip
LightningReady
LightningRemove
LightningZap
Look
Lower
MageAttack
MinotaurAtk1
MinotaurAtk2
MinotaurAtk3
MinotaurCharge
MinotaurChase
MinotaurDecide
MinotaurFade0
MinotaurFade1
MinotaurFade2
MinotaurLook
MinotaurRoam
MLightningAttack
MntrFloorFire
MStaffAttack
MStaffPalette
MStaffTrack
MStaffWeave
MWandAttack
NoBlocking
NoGravity
Pain
PigAttack
PigChase
PigLook
PigPain
PoisonBagCheck
PoisonBagDamage
PoisonBagInit
PoisonShroom
PotteryCheck
PotteryChooseBit
PotteryExplode
Quake
QueueCorpse
Raise
ReFire
RestoreArtifact
RestoreSpecialThing1
RestoreSpecialThing2
Scream
SerpentBirthScream
SerpentChase
SerpentCheckForAttack
SerpentChooseAttack
SerpentDiveSound
SerpentHeadCheck
SerpentHeadPop
SerpentHide
SerpentHumpDecide
SerpentLowerHump
SerpentMeleeAttack
SerpentMissileAttack
SerpentRaiseHump
SerpentSpawnGibs
SerpentUnHide
SerpentWalk
SetAltShadow
SetReflective
SetShootable
ShedShard
SinkGib
SkullPop
SmBounce
SmokePuffExit
SnoutAttack
SoAExplode
SorcBallOrbit
SorcBallPop
SorcBossAttack
SorcererBishopEntry
SorcFX1Seek
SorcFX2Orbit
SorcFX2Split
SorcFX4Check
SorcSpinBalls
SpawnBishop
SpawnFizzle
SpeedBalls
SpeedFade
Summon
TeloSpawnA
TeloSpawnB
TeloSpawnC
TeloSpawnD
ThrustBlock
ThrustImpale
ThrustInitDn
ThrustInitUp
ThrustLower
ThrustRaise
TreeDeath
UnHideThing
UnSetInvulnerable
UnSetReflective
UnSetShootable
WeaponReady
WraithChase
WraithFX2
WraithFX3
WraithInit
WraithLook
WraithMelee
WraithMissile
WraithRaise
WraithRaiseInit
ZapMimic

Gez said:

Careful when documenting codepointers.

If you happen see any mistake, edit it. I'm not all the time on it, and merely for the sake of getting rid of (as many) red links (as possible), I copied data from the offline docs. It's already for an older version, and whoever finds that it doesn't work on their version has to just ask Strogg-on-Meth, Quasar or another informed person and do the edit.

The codepointer docs are horribly out of date and now blatantly incorrect on some points due to changes in implementation / bug fixes.

Also, the docs referred to Heretic pointers as "New to Eternity" because Eternity grew out of a DOOM port, and DOOM didn't have Heretic codepointers. So yeah.

Hexen codepointers are not implemented or supported yet.

Also, not all of them have the same names or even exist at all in EE, so do not go by a list of vanilla pointers.

Quasar said:

The codepointer docs are horribly out of date and now blatantly incorrect on some points due to changes in implementation / bug fixes.

Like which? I haven't encountered big errors yet.

For example:

Any reference to monster vs player pointers crashing if used interchangeably is now incorrect.

Args for a couple of pointers, such as SpawnGlitter, have changed.

Most damage range info (ie where it tells min or max damage values as plain numbers) is considered useless and should be removed, since they all fail to take the effects of DOOM's limited pseudo-RNG into account. That info is now available on the Doom wiki in a much better format anyway.

Thing counters have been extended from 3 to 8 (and from 16- to 32-bit), so all functions referring to counters need to be updated.

Keywords have been defined for almost all parameterized codepointers, but their method of use and available values have never been documented.

And then finally, tons of pointers are missing because I never got around to documenting them.

There's probably more than this. I was in the process of updating the pointer docs during the last attempt to update the documentation, so some of this stuff may be in a half-fixed state.

I built up the list of console commands here at the wiki, based on searching the source code by looking for CONSOLE_ strings inside it. I didn't take my time to explain all of them; I only listed them there. Use them with caution, some have helps, some have usages, but others don't do nothing if parameters are missing, while others work already without parameters.

The main reason I posted this: could someone add a link to the list of console commands I linked above, at the eternity.youfailit.net front page?

printz said:

I built up the list of console commands here at the wiki, based on searching the source code by looking for CONSOLE_ strings inside it. I didn't take my time to explain all of them; I only listed them there. Use them with caution, some have helps, some have usages, but others don't do nothing if parameters are missing, while others work already without parameters.

The main reason I posted this: could someone add a link to the list of console commands I linked above, at the eternity.youfailit.net front page?

Not every article on the wiki should appear on the front page. We need to start building up a solid hierarchy of categories and have the categories visible from the main page, like on other wikis such as the ZDoom wiki.

Also some of the commands you listed are internal commands marked with the cf_hidden flag. Those should be removed from the list, as they are intentionally undocumented and their direct use may be highly detrimental.

EDIT: * I took care of removing some of those commands. Mainly the mn_df* commands that are used internally by the deathmatch flags menu.

Yay for adding info on some of the commands/variables :)

I think they'll also need to be regrouped in better categories. The current lousy clustering was based on their distribution in the source files, and how the CONSOLE_* macro looked like :)

printz said:

Yay for adding info on some of the commands/variables :)

I think they'll also need to be regrouped in better categories. The current lousy clustering was based on their distribution in the source files, and how the CONSOLE_* macro looked like :)

I reorganized it a bit, but it can definitely be tweaked further ;)

I have done some recent work on the wiki: cleaning up the thingtype flags, updating the command line parameters, and correcting/tweaking some stuff in the EDF frames article.

Quasar said:

Not every article on the wiki should appear on the front page. We need to start building up a solid hierarchy of categories and have the categories visible from the main page, like on other wikis such as the ZDoom wiki.

Feel free to copy and adapt ZDoom wiki templates that helps doing automatic categorization such as the Special, Wad and Actor ones. Also don't underestimate the power of simple templates such as LE that allow to directly link to a List Entry with other templates like Flag or Property. Finally you may need to use simple templates such as ! and = to work around some problems in wiki syntax.

The sooner these things are adopted, the less work to do; and it makes the wiki a lot more user-friendly.