Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

doom addicts, unite!

Well, I just had another one of my briliant ideas.
Why hasn't someone come up with a massively-multiplayer version of Doom where all you have to do is get registered, and get a password to join the fray?
I can imagine it all now...
It's you and 190 other Space Marines fighting off a huge amount of Demons. They just keep coming, and the more you kill, the more they respawn. Of course, your guys would keep respawning too. Pretty soon, the screen's filled up with the maximum amount of Marines (around 200 or so) and there are Shotgun Guys, Pistol Guys, Mancubi, Barons of Hell, Knights of Hell, BullDog Demons, and just about every other Doom demon you care to imagine all over the place.
Plus, the online game would be free, with new Killing Fields(tm) submitted every day for you to play on. Best of all, once you're dead, you have a chioce between respawning as a demon or soldier. Oh yeah, and no fee required.
I can imagine the field day level designers would have-huge
wrecked bases twice the size of the Phobos or Deimos bases, Killing Fields set in Hell, or maybe a Moon or Earth base.
Depending on where you are, the action would be quiet and tense, or action-packed and frenetic.
Sound like an idea?

Yeah, that's an idea allright...

/me bored
/me want some action

sure it'll work...btw, how many players minimum ?

if under 30 - boring
bigger than 100 - unplayable on normal (crappy) Internet connection

Hmmm...well, I'd say 80 at least (for 56k and under users) and about 90 to 190 for broadband connection-users.
That would sound about right.

think about it....hundreds of marines charging...like in "Starship Trooprs"...(Beavis voice) that would be cool, heh heh...(end Beavis voice)

Or like in a future-type Braveheart. Hundreds of marines charging, Plasma Rifles firing, rockets whizzing through the air, the screams of the damned being mutilated, the screams of the Marines being mutilated....it sounds pretty cool to me.
Maybe you could even throw a couple futuristic vehicles in, such as a Troop Transporter. A TT would lend the Doom-ish atmosphere a little more realism because we all know you shouldn't just "spawn" into a war. If you needed to teleport back to base, then you would have a little teleportation doohicky that could be used a maximum of only 10 times before it's no good.
Sounds good to me, how about you, maga?

this is beginning to sound more and more like one huge teamfortress war game....the APC, it's kinda non-Doom. I think everybody just drop frop the mothership above, just in Q2, or Starship Troopers....

it is a good idea with more planning and thought it could be better, but i am sure if this becomes a project it will evolve greatly. also 200 maximum players forget that, the lag ohhh the terrible lag! i would make it like 32 maximum players, with different servers, maps, monsters, ect. 200 is just too much even for a big map, everthing would be cramped and it would grow annoying after 5 mins. there must be battling going on but there also has to be calm breathing space between in a map too

/me begins to understand
OK, so don't do the Troop Trasnsporter thing. But some sort of vehicle should send you in.
And maybe 32 maximum players would be OK, I suppose, as long as the people controlling them are not Nazis and they don't purposely try to kill you instead of the demons.

I seriously doubt you would be able to get even 100 Doomers in such a thing at the same time...

No one will ever do that because :

1) Massive games needs lots of bandwidth.

2) Lots of bandwidth are provided by servers.

3) Servers cost money.

4) Money comes from registrations and monthly fees.

5) Amount of registrations depends on the community's appeal.

6) DooM's formula is old.

Marketing guys says : YOU'RE GOING DOWN

I wouldn't even call 4 player through a 56k playable and you want 80? God.

One on one through a modem is BARELY playable, and that's direct... no IP.

You *might* be able to get 64 through some serious high-bandwidth connection, but Zaldron's problem still stands... it would cost a FORTUNE to keep that thing going for only a single MONTH.

If you're gonna port DooM to a massive port, then why the hell don't you gather some artists and make something new?
You can keep the DooM flavor allright, but adding features would greatly enhance the game's popularity, a vital aspect for these kind of things.

You don't need REALLY fancy graphics for that. I could KILL for a Massive version of Magic Carpet II.

Now THAT was some pretty terrain destruction!

You don't need REALLY fancy graphics for that. I could KILL for a Massive version of Magic Carpet II.

Now THAT was some pretty terrain destruction!

Magic Carpet II - VERY COOL GAME