Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Okuplok

Speed of Doom demos [-complevel 9]

A failed MAX for SOD Map28. This is just me learning the map, nothing fancy. As I was using the HUD, I noticed I was missing 40 monsters near the end. Using IDDT I noticed they were near the start, so killed myself to try to find them (it doesn't seem possible to TP back). I didn't manage to get to them (so this demo doesn't show it) and finally had to look in DB2 - and even AFTER looking in DB2, I had trouble, heh. Granted, I'm not the best doomguy when it comes to finding secrets.

mehsod28run.zip

Phml said:

A failed MAX for SOD Map28. This is just me learning the map, nothing fancy. As I was using the HUD, I noticed I was missing 40 monsters near the end. Using IDDT I noticed they were near the start, so killed myself to try to find them (it doesn't seem possible to TP back). I didn't manage to get to them (so this demo doesn't show it) and finally had to look in DB2 - and even AFTER looking in DB2, I had trouble, heh. Granted, I'm not the best doomguy when it comes to finding secrets.

Yeah, it's not possible to teleport back; you have to clear out the first room to proceed any further. The RL should be beneficial for some situations in the open area too.

And if it's not too wrong to ask, could SoD have its own demo thread? It would be confusing wading through other miscellaneous demos. I'll definitely watch the demos recorded (:D) so far on this weekend. Got some non-doom related work to do first though xP

And if it's not too wrong to ask, could SoD have its own demo thread?

I thought it'd be better to wait for the final release so eventual bugs are gone. I know personally I'm holding off on doing "serious" runs until it's officially released and bugfree, which is why I've posted this here.

Better demo in 16:24 showing the secret and 100% kills. Still not a proper speedrun by any means.

sod28-1624.zip

Phml said:

I thought it'd be better to wait for the final release so eventual bugs are gone. I know personally I'm holding off on doing "serious" runs until it's officially released and bugfree, which is why I've posted this here.

Better demo in 16:24 showing the secret and 100% kills. Still not a proper speedrun by any means.

True, that's a good idea. Pretty nice demo there although a minute could be shaved off perhaps? :P

And nice runs gggmork (as usual) and armouredblood. :-)

Pretty nice demo there although a minute could be shaved off perhaps?

I'm expecting sub-10 is possible with some work. :)

Maybe not by me in a reasonable timeframe, but I'm sure gggmork could do it with one hand tied behind his back while being blindfolded.

Meanwhile, I had another go at it and got 14:11. I've tried to wake up most monsters ASAP for maximum infighting. I don't think the order I've woke them up is optimal, better could be done (waking up both revenant groups near the red keycard earlier). There's also that part with the hell knights where I always lose a bunch of time - playing aggressively, a good player could cut a path through them and save two minutes easily. I'm still a bit confused as to where to go sometimes, good knowledge of the map might save another minute. Then there's stragglers, which is to some extent luck-based but not always, and hitting the switches while stuff is still alive in the final room would be harder but save 20-30 seconds.

Really a great map to speedrun, lots of health, lots of ammo, lots of fights, and not linear at all makes it a blast to try and find routes.

sod28-1411.zip

Nah, I think we're about the same skill level (had a hard time trying to beat your times on some phmlspd maps). Okuplok is better.
Seems like a good route on 28 since many central enemies infight while you do stuff (watching the demo in automap with iddt and fastest speed (so you can also see doomguy's twitchy fast animated face)).
Large levels take a lot of preparation/ studying in doombuilder to figure out a fast route/where trigger lines are/etc.

speed of doom
map01 uv-pacifist in 0:34
prboom+ 2.5.0.6

i'm sitting on a bunch of demos, but some of them will possibly desync in the final version AND i think it's not politically correct for me to spoil the tricks... so just a map01 dash. :)

also... can we has a separate thread already pls?

sd01p034.zip

These maps all have really interesting layouts; it's quite obvious that a lot of time and effort have gone into their creation - They're beautiful.

Obvious also that time and effort have gone into the speedruns, which are keeping me up well beyond a normal and sane time to go to bed!

But I'm guessing that their creation causes exactly the same problem for their creators...

kimo_xvirus wrote in sod29-033:
Could go a lot smoother and faster with pinkies but this map is soo boring to speedrun...

i also disliked that route... it should get WAY more interesting in the final release :)

Gusta said:

I improved map14 UV Speed to 0:54 (Hi Anima!:)

Very nice trick. I tried my hand at it and managed to squeak out a 0:53. Still quite improvable with me bumping into basically everything early on, but made up with a nice run through the rev army at the end.

sd14-053.zip

Just an update which regrettably won't please several people. The demos in this thread that were recorded on Map08 and 14 (and 29 but that was a boring route yeah :P) will desynch. Really sorry about this but they were game breaking bugs unfortunately.

EDIT: Here's the final version LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj2wmunujmj/SODfinal.zip

Joshy, nevermind, I hope that it gives me motivation to record some better max on map08. Those speed demos for 08 and 14 can be improved whenever and wherever so not a loss, really (I had already 0:52 for map14 btw :-)
Now people can seriously start recording some godlike stuff that your wad deserves, so COME ON! :-)

map16 UV-speed in 0:59

it's a demo i've recorded earlier, perhaps it'll drive doomhero to improve his run a bit. i'm using a slower route, but some more efficient speedrunning 'habits' and cleaner running. doomhero, i hope you accept the challenge and beat it. :)

sd16-059.zip

Throwing out a UV-Speed I did for map20 just now. Time is 1:14 utilizing an AV jump to skip 2/3rds of the level. Considering I had two close calls here (Came FAR too close to that manco fireball during the AV jump and went between two marauding cybies with a baron that died just in time), this is a pretty fun run.

That said this is still quite improvable. I'd imagine getting a 1:0x here to be a fairly easy task.

NM-Speed would be interesting to see as well.

sd20-114.zip

gratz! it's so much nicer to watch with that smooth start, isn't it. :)

an advice, though: try following a file naming convention common for the particular wad. it's not obligatory, but it eases keeping a demo collection for a megawad when everything follows the same pattern. i'm renaming any freak names in my archive. also, perhaps grazza will update the patterns for prboom automatic demo detection one day, to recognize these demos just by clicking on them. anyways, right now it's a bit ambiguous, because some people used 'sodXY-123' and some used 'sdXY-123'. i'd say the latter should be preferred, because it's 8 characters long and follows the oldschool naming conventions.

of course people like timeofdeath and gggmork ignore the tradition with weird long demo names, because they don't like to write text files... but that's their special quirk, plus they keep the conventional method of listing the wad, map number and time first, then their special additional info. :) just consider it as a good habit.

EDIT: just to clarify, your demo would be named sd16-057. that means a 2-letter abbrev for the wad name, XY for the map#, a dash for uv-speed/max (p for pacifist, t for tyson, f for fast, n for nm, s for nm100, r for respawn,....) and a number meaning 0:57. it's by far not bulletproof, for example times over 10:00 are a headache, but at least the first 4 letters should be indicative of the wad/map, imo.