Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
captmellow

barn-raising: open iwad project

Okay, time for mass commentage:

* DM maps. I say these should be done in a separate episode (E5) for D1, and just follow the Quake DM map naming scheme for D2. (This does break Boom/MBF/SMMU compatibility for DM, but it's better than nothing, and we can put the DM levels into a separate WAD as well. Plus, I don't think any of these ports without a console or such allow netplay.)

* Storyline. I'll go out on a limb here and say "let's use the original Doom Bible for this." Wildman already has a good storyline going there.

* Monsters. This should be fun - let's get a list of *new* monsters we'd like to see.

* Textures. This does not appear to be a problem at this point, aside from the already-mentioned things of alignment issues. However, one point - we should use the WFALL series of textures and the SWATER series of flats. No sense in not getting all the animated textures we can out of this. (I'm not sure if Legacy supports the Boom system of the ANIMATED and SWITCHES lumps.)

* Port compatibility. This is the fun part.

Probably the simplest way to do this is to distribute the main, non-port-dependent IWADs, and then, in addition, distribute PWADs that match to specific ports (or have those ports that already have an autoloaded PWAD [EDGE, ZDoom, Legacy] come with a modified version for use with Freedoom).

* Weapons. Sadly, we're sorta stuck with how the weapons are, except for in EDGE. It just becomes a case of "make the weapons look different". This sucks Carmack's balls.

* Sounds. Already in progress. Should be interesting.

That's everything I wanted to comment on.

the doom storyline is kinda defined by the scripts run at the end of certain intervals, e.g. e1m8, map07... so we can't really play with that much.

the doom storyline is kinda defined by the scripts run at the end of certain intervals, e.g. e1m8, map07... so we can't really play with that much.

It's easier to monkey with for the Doom 1 version than the Doom 2 version, though - you just have to make your story fit into eight (possibly nine) maps.

Okay, time for mass commentage:

* DM maps. I say these should be done in a separate episode (E5) for D1, and just follow the Quake DM map naming scheme for D2. (This does break Boom/MBF/SMMU compatibility for DM, but it's better than nothing, and we can put the DM levels into a separate WAD as well. Plus, I don't think any of these ports without a console or such allow netplay.)

No comment on this. We'll have to see how many maps come in, eh?

* Storyline. I'll go out on a limb here and say "let's use the original Doom Bible for this." Wildman already has a good storyline going there.

Well, to avoid IP prob's, we should probably eschew Doom Bible et.al for inspiration & go totally original.

* Monsters. This should be fun - let's get a list of *new* monsters we'd like to see.

I was thinking of a few things for the unique Doom monster behaviors:
-pe/lost souls would be replaced maybe by some kind of robotic thing that launches orbs--remember Phantasm? Those things had an attack reminiscent of skullfly. LOL then we get the movie studio after us instead of Carmack.
-archie could be electrical, w/ lighting crackling around him & his victim.
-chaingunner could be a walking turret (shot attack, rapidfire)
Anyway, I need some feedback re: Iikka's sprites, esp. if we are going for a cohesive set of monsters.

* Textures. This does not appear to be a problem at this point, aside from the already-mentioned things of alignment issues. However, one point - we should use the WFALL series of textures and the SWATER series of flats. No sense in not getting all the animated textures we can out of this. (I'm not sure if Legacy supports the Boom system of the ANIMATED and SWITCHES lumps.)

* Port compatibility. This is the fun part.

Probably the simplest way to do this is to distribute the main, non-port-dependent IWADs, and then, in addition, distribute PWADs that match to specific ports (or have those ports that already have an autoloaded PWAD [EDGE, ZDoom, Legacy] come with a modified version for use with Freedoom).

I agree w/ all this. Sounds good.

* Weapons. Sadly, we're sorta stuck with how the weapons are, except for in EDGE. It just becomes a case of "make the weapons look different". This sucks Carmack's balls.

* Sounds. Already in progress. Should be interesting.

That's everything I wanted to comment on.

What sounds are in progress? You have my attention.

remember Phantasm?

Haha, is that the one with the handyman brigade invading the morgue? I saw it on late night TV a few years ago. I know there's a few of them and I don't think it was the first one. Either way it was hilarious.

remember Phantasm?

Haha, is that the one with the handyman brigade invading the morgue? I saw it on late night TV a few years ago. I know there's a few of them and I don't think it was the first one. Either way it was hilarious.

That may have been one of the sequels. I have only seen the first one.

Protagonist(s): kid & his brother/friends
Antagonist: the "tall man" & his yellow-blooded dwarf henchmen

One of the highlights was the sequences w/ the orb. This baseball-sized silver ball w/ wicked-looking prongs would fly around & stick into people's foreheads. Once held fast by the prongs, it would present a drill, & eventually siphon blood out of the victim's head, discharging it from a vent in the back.

Skadoomer, your email is borked. I have tried several times to reply to your email. Please check out the sites that Jon has set up, & upload your stuff via anon ftp to /incoming at despayre.ath.cx.

The POVDoom sprites are up there (/incoming), & should soon be available for viewing at http://fraggle.despayre.ath.cx/freedoom/deutex/. They do have a rather light-hearted look, but they are very well done (try them out in-game), & in the interests of expediency I would recommend that we use them, as no small amount of work went into them by one of the community's legends, Iikka Keranen.

No comment on this. We'll have to see how many maps come in, eh?

I'm sure we could get permission from Gothic DM to use their maps as the DM maps. :-)

Well, to avoid IP prob's, we should probably eschew Doom Bible et.al for inspiration & go totally original.

Maybe. Considering how the Doom Bible has almost nothing to do with how Doom ended up, though, I don't see where they'd get on our case for this.

[qquote]
I was thinking of a few things for the unique Doom monster behaviors:
-pe/lost souls would be replaced maybe by some kind of robotic thing that launches orbs--remember Phantasm? Those things had an attack reminiscent of skullfly. LOL then we get the movie studio after us instead of Carmack.
-archie could be electrical, w/ lighting crackling around him & his victim.
-chaingunner could be a walking turret (shot attack, rapidfire)
Anyway, I need some feedback re: Iikka's sprites, esp. if we are going for a cohesive set of monsters.
[/quote]We'll see.

I agree w/ all this. Sounds good.

What sounds are in progress? You have my attention.

A few grunts/growls, a teleport sound, a replacement for the Romero head's sound (it's "Freedoom no longer has John Romero's head on a stick" reversed)... that kind of stuff.

gothicdm uses a lot of hexen and I think quake stuff so thats a definite no-no

gothicdm uses a lot of hexen and I think quake stuff so thats a definite no-no

I meant the maps, you numbnuts.

It's generally agreed that the playability of many gothic2 maps isn't on the same level as their remarkable aesthetics. I would cast my lot w/ Carnevil's Doomserv maps, or perhaps vicious circles, execution, etc.

Layout & flow.

even if someone had the zillion hours required to rework the textures, I'd still prefer something else :)

count me in. I might do some levels if i have the time. If anyone decides to go with EDGE on extra weapons (you could make a DDF ver and dehacked), then i'll definitely help out.

Wow we're really getting somewhere, fraggle informed me that over half the flats have been replaced in just over a week!

You know, I asked Zaldron to redo some textures for a Millennium map and he ended up redoing ALL the textures in the game. I guess we can pass those on when we get them done and packaged. I may do some from-scratch maps as well, but nothing horribly complex. The previous ones in question are for vanilla Doom/Doom2, and I'm gonna keep it that way.