Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AngelOfDeath

Stair Problem?

Alright I have stairs in my wad. the ceiling hight is the same over the stairs as the sector they lead to.
My problem is the wall texture. It looks bad,
how can i make the wall texture look smooth with all the different floor height's

Guest Fanatic

Manually adjust the Y and X offsets for each linedef for your walls, and/or use pegging.

Examine GothicDM levels for an incredible example of texture alignment.

Assuming a stair out in the "open": set Lower unpegging and then use your editor to -automatically- X align (most editors can do this for you, e.g. DeePsea,WA, or Z/DETH).

Sort of the same as Fanatic's, he didn't mention the type of unpegging and didn't mention that X can be automatic. Y offsets would work in place of unpegging, but a bit more work.

First of all be sure the lower unpegged flag for the walls (linedefs) on either side of the stairs is clear (ie *not* set or checked). Since the ceiling heights are the same for all the stair sectors you now won't need to concern yourself with y-offsets because Doom draws the texture from the ceiling to the floor. The upper unpegged flag has no effect on single sided lines (I'm assuming the sides of your stairway are single sided). The sidways or x-alignment can probably be done with your editor as most have a built in funtion to do this.

Since the ceiling heights are the same for all the stair sectors you now won't need to concern yourself with y-offsets...

Not really - it can be a 1 or 2 sided given what he gave. Look at E1M1 inside sector 32 for an example. I assumed a 2-sided version.

I assumed single sided lines because he said "wall" texture, not the "texture on the sides of the stairs." In that case, yes the lower unpegged flags should be set to simplify things.

I assumed single sided lines because he said "wall" texture, not the "texture on the sides of the stairs." In that case, yes the lower unpegged flags should be set to simplify things.

In BOTH instances they are called "wall textures" - there is no differentiation implied by texture "location".

IOW, a "wall texture" is just a texture that is on a sidedef - nothing more, nothing less.