Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_user

Weird full screen glitch

In Eternity 3.37.00 I'm encountering a weird glitch in full screen mode. 11 pixels get cut off of the bottom of the screen and 3 pixels get cut off of the left side of the screen. At the same time, 11 pixels of garbage appear at the top of the screen and 3 pixels of garbage appear at the right side of the screen. This happens at all resolutions. Screenshots are unaffected by this, so I can only show it by taking a screencap.

Screencap

Screenshot

Have you tried updating your gfx-card drivers to the latest? Perhaps that could help.

ptoing said:

Have you tried updating your gfx-card drivers to the latest? Perhaps that could help.

Other things to try, in order:

• Try -directx and see if that makes a difference.
  • Try the -8in32 parameter.
  • Try both of them together.
  • Try a different resolution, with and without the above flags. You can change your video mode setting temporarily from the command line by using -geom WWWWxHHHH[wf] where WWWW is the width, HHHH is the height, and [wf] means to specify either w or f to get windowed or fullscreen.
  • Disable the "vsync" option in the config file if it is enabled.
  • Run windowed instead of fullscreen.
  • If running windowed already, make sure you selected a resolution which is less than your desktop resolution in dimensions. SDL bugs out if you ask it to make a window larger than the desktop.
If none of these fix it, you're in a bad way. Either way, this is probably a machine-specific problem with the combo of video driver, SDL, and screen mode you are trying.

Also, info on the version of Windows you're using might be helpful.

Doom_user said:

Adding -directx fixes it completely.

OK in that case, you may wish to add the following to your system environment variables:

SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx
Then you shouldn't have to use this command-line parameter any more. Hopefully somebody else can help you on how to do this, since I myself still do not know where later versions of Windows have squirreled the permanent environment variables off to. In Win9x you could just add them to your autoexec.bat >_>

Quasar said:

In Win9x you could just add them to your autoexec.bat >_>

For Win9x you could just add them to Eternity :)

entryway said:

For Win9x you could just add them to Eternity :)

How do you detect you're running on Win9x? Probably an amateur question but I've never had to do it, even with all the Win32-specific programming I've done over the years.

Quasar said:

How do you detect you're running on Win9x?

(int)GetVersion() < 0

prboom+ forces 'directx' for win9x only if config value for sdl_videodriver is "default" and it is not overridden through command line.

{"sdl_videodriver", {NULL,&sdl_videodriver}, {0,"default"},UL,UL,
   def_str,ss_none},

if ((p = M_CheckParm("-videodriver")) && (p < myargc - 1))
  {
    free(sdl_videodriver);
    sdl_videodriver = strdup(myargv[p + 1]);
  }

if (strcasecmp(sdl_videodriver, "default"))
  {
    // videodriver != default
    char buf[80];
    strcpy(buf, "SDL_VIDEODRIVER=");
    strncat(buf, sdl_videodriver, sizeof(buf) - sizeof(buf[0]) - strlen(buf));
    putenv(buf);
  }
  else
  {
    // videodriver == default
#ifdef _WIN32
    if ((int)GetVersion() < 0 && V_GetMode() != VID_MODEGL ) // win9x
      putenv("SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx");
#endif
  }

p = SDL_Init(flags);

if (p < 0 && strcasecmp(sdl_videodriver, "default"))
  {
    //e6y: wrong videodriver?
    lprintf(LO_ERROR, "Could not initialize SDL with SDL_VIDEODRIVER=%s [%s]\n",
      sdl_videodriver, SDL_GetError());

putenv("SDL_VIDEODRIVER=");
    free(sdl_videodriver);
    sdl_videodriver = strdup("default");
    p = SDL_Init(flags);
  }

Quasar said:

OK in that case, you may wish to add the following to your system environment variables:

SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx
Then you shouldn't have to use this command-line parameter any more. Hopefully somebody else can help you on how to do this, since I myself still do not know where later versions of Windows have squirreled the permanent environment variables off to. In Win9x you could just add them to your autoexec.bat >_>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310519
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931715

SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx question. This is a dumb question, but I don't know exactly where to put this information at. I opened the system config as a notepad document and wrote it at the bottom(screen in zip folder).

Can someone help my dumbass.

TendaMonsta said:

SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx question. This is a dumb question, but I don't know exactly where to put this information at. I opened the system config as a notepad document and wrote it at the bottom(screen in zip folder).

Can someone help my dumbass.

It depends entirely on what operating system you're using.