Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Johnsen

Doom Comic

Since I'm a long time comic book collector trying to track down the Doom comic released back in 1996, I was wondering - anyone here got that issue laying around? Trying to figure out how scarse it actually is.

And no, I dont care about the legendary suckage of the content =) I'm just curious as theres little information to be found on it.

You'll spend most of your life trying to track down a copy that doesn't cost a fortune.

Andy Johnsen said:
And no, I dont care about the legendary suckage of the content...

Legendary suckage? The Doom comic rocks, its more or less how I picture the doom guy would actually be like -very crazy.

Well, didnt intend to insult your preference, but the digital version I read didnt look too inspired, terribly written and had its game facts messed up :) Still, a cool novelty for sure.

Cost a fortune huh... uh oh. Seen any go for much? Its a modern age comic, very few high profile comics from the past 20 years sell for much more than 1000$. I think alot of people confuse scarsity with value tho, and it might just be that people who picked up this issue are mostly gamers. This being an adaption of one of the most populare games of all time, I imagine non comic book collectors might push the prices up as well.

Seriously? So they were just poking fun at the game... Or the Doomguy in the story was just having some drug induced hallucinations about killing things. (Perhaps the last panel should've been him in a straight jacket and a padded room mumbling about BFG's...)

There was a review of the doom comic by a guy who reviews all sorts of lame comics. He did in fact mention that it's pretty much impossible to get, and couldn't get his own.

Andy Johnsen said:

Well, didnt intend to insult your preference, but the digital version I read didnt look too inspired, terribly written and had its game facts messed up :) Still, a cool novelty for sure.

If you mean this digital version, it's a scan of the comic and complete apart from a few pages of advertising. It's also deliberately over-the-top.

Cost a fortune huh... uh oh. Seen any go for much? Its a modern age comic, very few high profile comics from the past 20 years sell for much more than 1000$.

While they're rarely listed separately I picked up a mint copy on eBay a year or two back for less than $20.

GreyGhost said:

If you mean this digital version, it's a scan of the comic and complete apart from a few pages of advertising. It's also deliberately over-the-top.

While they're rarely listed separately I picked up a mint copy on eBay a year or two back for less than $20.

Allright, thanks :) Leaves some hope.

The Doom comic will push Shakespeare, Herman Melville and George Orwell off of the bookshelf of history.

Creaphis said:

The Doom comic will push Shakespeare, Herman Melville and George Orwell off of the bookshelf of history.

+1

Isn't it in the id Anthology? Is there a difference?

Edit: I have the id Anthology, but I'm far too anal to unravel the the nicely placed comic and poster.

Yes, it was in the id Anthology, so perhaps most people who have a copy got it from there. I'm not sure how else it was distributed. I'd check if there was any clue from the imprint info, but my copy is in a different continent from me at the moment.

Looks like there were two printings. My stand-alone copy's printed on whiter paper than the id Anthology copy, which gives it more contrast. The front cover looks a little paler, the issue number's italicised, the warning text isn't and the advertisments have been changed around - Hexen for PlayStation on the inside front cover, PlayStation Plus on the inside back cover and Final Doom for PlayStation on the back cover.

Here's the cover for comparison - I've adjusted the gamma and brightness a bit to compensate for the glossy paper. The Doom Wiki states that the comic was produced as a giveaway at a video game conference, which is probably where this copy came from.

(685x1034 - 1.39MB)

Thanks Hobo, Grazza and Grey.. thats just the kinda information I was looking for. Since one copy was included in the box set, the giveaway version should be the toughest one to track down. The box sets are sold semi regulary on ebay, but I didnt realize it included the comic, altho I should have since I belive I did browse through that set in 1997 - might have read the comic even, and forgotten all about it.

40oz said:

There was a review of the doom comic by a guy who reviews all sorts of lame comics. He did in fact mention that it's pretty much impossible to get, and couldn't get his own.

While I'm not saying that the comics aren't lame, not much else can be said for that guy either. :s

Grazza said:

Yes, it was in the id Anthology, so perhaps most people who have a copy got it from there. I'm not sure how else it was distributed. I'd check if there was any clue from the imprint info, but my copy is in a different continent from me at the moment.

I just spoke to a potentional seller, but he says the comic came rolled up with the poster and thus have some quality issues, can you recall if this is correct? I imagine I hafta deal with some natural wear on this book if thats the case.

Grazza said:

Yes, it was in the id Anthology, so perhaps most people who have a copy got it from there.

That's certainly how I got mine.

Andy Johnsen said:

I just spoke to a potentional seller, but he says the comic came rolled up with the poster and thus have some quality issues, can you recall if this is correct?

That's how it arrived when I obtained a copy of the Anthology. (In case anyone's getting confused - I have 2 comics)

Andy Johnsen said:

I just spoke to a potentional seller, but he says the comic came rolled up with the poster and thus have some quality issues, can you recall if this is correct? I imagine I hafta deal with some natural wear on this book if thats the case.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was rolled up, but my copy got unrolled so long ago that it shows no sign of damage from that now.

The poster was definitely rolled up, but quite neatly and not so tightly as to crease it.

Funny, but maybe the copies in unopened boxes (as so highly prized by the collector types) will be in a worse state (after 14+ years being curled up with paper drying out) than ones that were taken out and looked after reasonably well.

Grazza, that is very likely - being rolled up for all those years will prevent the comic from laying down flat, permanently. Theres pressing services that can probably fix that if you're seriously into collecting comics, tho :) I would still like to get a copy of the giveaway, since thats the real rarity for sure, and should not suffer such issues as the one included in the anthology set.

Before I did those scans, I put the comic under a stack of encyclopedias for a while to flatten it out. I don't know how long it was rolled up before I obtained my id Anthology, but it remains flat to this day.

Hi

I have a copy of the 1996 doom comic with the hexen and playstation plus advertisements in the back, I was hoping to sell but I was just curious whether you had any advice?

Cheers Sam

Samuel1234 said:

Hi

I have a copy of the 1996 doom comic with the hexen and playstation plus advertisements in the back, I was hoping to sell but I was just curious whether you had any advice?

Cheers Sam

If I had a comic for sale I would put it up on eBay. Its hard to give good advice on what would be a proper starting price, but you can always make it a high starting bid and then accept offers to see where the limmit goes. Try to describe the quality as good as possible, and take pics from the front and back cover. Browse through it to check for internal damage, but dont spread it open to take pics - that could cause some spine damage. Try to be as honest as possible in regards to quality, if you're not good at grading comics, just make the pics high res and try to describe the flaws.

If you are looking for a deal you could also email me, I'm still looking to buy.

Hi Andy

Thank you very much for your advice, I've decided to put it on ebay.com, there is another copy online going for $4000 I thought that was quite expensive I've put it up for $500 do you think that is a fair price?

Cheers Sam

Point out that it's not the id Anthology version. I'd like to know at which convention that comic was handed out - the Wiki doesn't say.

That $4,000 comic is the id Anthology version, which makes it waaaaay overpriced compared to the $200-$300 the Anthology tends to fetch.

Samuel1234 said:

Hi Andy

Thank you very much for your advice, I've decided to put it on ebay.com, there is another copy online going for $4000 I thought that was quite expensive I've put it up for $500 do you think that is a fair price?

Cheers Sam

Well, never knock anyone for "trying" on eBay as long as their item is genuine, but that is indeed redicolously overpriced at $4000. You may have a shot at $500 given its the most exclusive version (which GreyGhost is absolutely correct about pointing out - this should be in the auction text).

I would say $500 for a giveaway from the nintees is still way overpriced, but if the right collector comes around it just might happen. Personally I would probably limmit a buy to around 200$ for a Near Mint copy, and less for a beaten VG to Fine copy. Its a scarse comic, but thinking its a 4000$ comic is just... comical. Good luck with your auction tho, would be a great sell if it happens!

Hey

sorry about the late reply, Cheers for the advice Andy and Greyghost,
lol not having much luck but like you said If I took some decent quality shots and specified its a non anthology version version I may have a chance.

I'll have to mull it over, thing is it seems like a rariety that its difficult to put a price on it, other than like you pointed out some deluded guy on ebay.

Cheers Sam