Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
audiodef

Alpha Labs sector 4 rotating platform jump?

In Alpha Labs sector 4, I decided to activate the EFR rather than extend the service bridge. Am I supposed to run and jump across the gap to get to the far door? I was able to reactive the EFR, but when the rotating platform swings around to the newly unlocked door, I always fall when I try to jump. Did I miss something?

As far as I remember this is a non-linear level where you have a choice between 2 different paths. Activating one path deactivates the other, so you have to play the level two times if you want to see everything.

One path was over the activated bridge, and the other one continued somewhere below, if I remember correct.

Run and jump. That's something I've mastered in the game. My one friend was having all kinds of trouble with that part, then I took over and got it on the first try. I'm now known as bastard.

LOL!

OK. I'll try more running and jumping. Maybe looking slightly down so I can see the edge of the platform and jump at the last possible moment.

You can do strafejumping and circlejumping in Doom3. It's not necessary, but it might help you if you got difficulties.

The first time I tried it again after I posted this thread, I made it. I'm now in Enpro, fighting off the hordes of floating female heads. Wheehee!

What's circle jumping?

audiodef said:

The first time I tried it again after I posted this thread, I made it. I'm now in Enpro, fighting off the hordes of floating female heads. Wheehee!

What's circle jumping?

A way of jumping where you don't approach the jump straight on but from an angle then kinda flick your wrist when you jump to give you more distance. It's easier done than said, check out youtube or quakelive.com (there is a jumping tutorial map)

There's a reason that FPS rarely features jumping puzzles such as this and it's usually because you can't see the player's feet. Doom 3 was pretty bad at this, thanks to the marine's movement, and I can see why those segments were cut from the Xbox port.

Serious Sam was pretty good at poking fun at this and the only reason the Metroid Prime series was playable was thanks to the double jump.

Even 3rd person games can have bad jumping sections though. It often depends on player movement. Some games get "cute" and try for realism which means that there may be a delay in the jump or a try for a more life-like animation which means the time between pressing the button and the jump is delayed. I never understood why such attempts at realism are thrown into games. If your weapon and item pickups spin on the ground and you can carry an arsenal in your pockets, realism has already been vacated.

diosoth said:
If your weapon and item pickups spin on the ground and you can carry an arsenal in your pockets, realism has already been vacated.

++!

You can go into a bathroom and look in the mirror as you magically whip out in succession a shotgun, machine gun, plasma gun, and a CHAINSAW, all from thin air behind your back.

Now if only I could do that IRL, I'd be all set.

Speaking of voices... The ones which lead you throughout ducts and such, until you find the plasma gun - I'm considering them to be angelic, because they're leading you to something beneficial, instead of tricking you. It's only that the demons are mad that you picked up the big gun, that they teleport in.

printz said:

Speaking of voices... The ones which lead you throughout ducts and such, until you find the plasma gun - I'm considering them to be angelic, because they're leading you to something beneficial, instead of tricking you. It's only that the demons are mad that you picked up the big gun, that they teleport in.

I think the Soul Cube was that voice in question. It does the same thing a few times in the Hell levels.

diosoth said:

I think the Soul Cube was that voice in question. It does the same thing a few times in the Hell levels.

There's no soul cube around at that point in the game (in the Alpha Lab), and I don't think it has that kind of magical powers to communicate with you at distance. It's mostly a device.

I need the caption mod, so I haven't seen any captions about angelic voices. I got the plasma gun because it was in the logs one of the PDAs I picked up.

Now, as for doing what the voices tell me to do, they tell me to ki*static* all! Bl*static* away! De*static* to *static*.

I just found the rocket launcher. It's kind of lame compared to the original Doom 1/2 rocket launcher. The original had a nice zing sound effect. This new one is too quiet.