Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brewtal_Legend

Master levels background?

Anyone know if there is a copy of the master levels background art around anywhere? I mean just the background with the skulls. Without the text and everything else in front of it like on the box cover.

Just curious. I'd like to use it as my desktop wallpaper and make a custom titlepic for my own personal use.

One of the results in the first page of that link is one guy with a severed finger, smiling.

What the hell ?

Dude, if you have Doom 1, just use the Episode 4 intermission background. It was designed specifically to be a wallpaper!

Or desaturate the Doom 2 interpic.

EDIT: Isn't that dude Frodo after Gollum bit his finger to take the ring?
EDIT: Turns out yes. You can get out now from under the bed, people, nothing disturbing to see!

Thanks for the link, but I've already done quite a bit of google searching for the pic, but no luck aand your link doesn't show anything new or what I'm looking for.

I know episode 4 is extremely similar to or based on the master level cover pic, but I'm specifically looking for the master levels cover art with the pencil sketch look to it. I also lack the proper photo editing software to mess around with desaturating the doom 2 pic. Nor do I have the disk space to look for a good free one.

Thanks all the same though for your suggestions.

40oz said:

I haven't found it without text on it, but there is a high resolution version of the INTERPIC I found as well as this really close up scan of the Master Level's box art. I'm not sure whether either of these are of any value to you though.

That INTERPIC looks like a sized up and filtered/touched up image.

A re-touched INTERPIC is probably the best bet since even the Master Levels poster has text on it.

GreyGhost said:

A re-touched INTERPIC is probably the best bet since even the Master Levels poster has text on it.

Yeah. I'm getting that feeling. Probably the only one's who might have the background art without the text would be the people at id. Too bad they don't release it. It would be nice to have. I know it's my favorite version of that particular pic.

Btw, anyone have or know where I could find a cleaned up pic of the part of the text on the cover in the upper left corner that says "master levels for doom II". The text on the black background shape, but with pure white background behind that so it would be easy to superimpose on something else with ms paint and maybe use as the top of the menu in the game?

Thanks for te touched up pics Quasar. They look really good.

***I just found this

http://img.game.co.uk/images/productpages/doom3collectors.jpg

Anyone happen to have a scan of the back cover of the doom 3 collector's edition? The one on the right looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

That is a really cool version, but not quite what I was looking for. I like the black and white version specifically from the master levels cover.

Maybe from the back of the xbox doom 3 collector's edition.

4bbfcc2cbacd2.jpg + Irfanview > Convert to Greyscale + Auto adjust colors = Sweet! Playing around with some simple color correction and things on the original gets some nice results too.

By the way, thanks Janizdreg for pointing out the colour version.

Does anybody know who has drawn the original pencil sketch? Was it Adrian Carmack or Kevin Cloud? Its an amazing piece of work!

It was Carmack. He apparently had a sketch book with all the Doom sketches. Some sketches has surfaced in the Anthology booklet.

Oh yes I know about his sketchbook. I have a Anthlogy. Some really cool stuff in there:-)
Here is a picture of him infront of his desk with the origianl drawing hanging on the wall.

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/4599/15510596.jpg

Too bad that he is lost without a trace since he left id in 2005.
It would be awesome if he releases a book of his art some day.

Bare in mind that the background pic from Romero's formspring page is a recoloured version of the same image from the JDUI (JDoom User Interface Pack).

Accrding to the credit's in the pack, the image was made by either Lord-Noctrun or Chilvence.

The only thing I don't like about using that as a desktop background is that the coolest, most noticeable part of the image, where a skull's roof of its mouth is stretched to become the spine of another skull underneath it is parted to the left, which is where I keep most my icons. I guess I could mirror the image..

Or offset it (easy with something like GIMP: Ctrl-Shift-O IIRC) since it tiles.