Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TendaMonsta

Eternity - auto-playing Demos

I just recently grabbed Eternity again because I noticed that it is a really good port. I've been messing around with the program and could not solve the question I am about to ask.

Is there a way to get Eternity to playback an .lmp file without the command line? Prboom-plus allows a user to click the .lmp and specify which wads are required (or optional i.e mmmus.wad) to play the demo and since Eternity is getting more and more advanced like Prboom-plus (except with more options) I was wondering if this would be taken into consideration.

I believe there's a submenu in Options or somewhere, which was inherited from SMMU, which allows you to load demos.

printz said:

I believe there's a submenu in Options or somewhere, which was inherited from SMMU, which allows you to load demos.

Yes, but the demo has to be within the wad in order for you to play it. I just thought it was possible to simply click on a demo (no matter where in your computer it is) and it would play it as long as you specify which wads are required.

Jimmy91 said:

Censored title?

?I have no idea what happened there? It was supposed to say
Eternity - Recording Demos

TendaMonsta said:

Yes, but the demo has to be within the wad in order for you to play it. I just thought it was possible to simply click on a demo (no matter where in your computer it is) and it would play it as long as you specify which wads are required.

Well duh, you need to have the WAD loaded first to play the demo belonging to it. Fortunately, you can even do that, either from a similar submenu ("Load WAD"), or right from the console, very intuitively (type "map nameofwad.wad" as if it were a map. In Eternity, map also loads WADs, unlike ZDoom.).

Then you're free to play the demo.

printz said:

Well duh, you need to have the WAD loaded first to play the demo belonging to it. Fortunately, you can even do that, either from a similar submenu ("Load WAD"), or right from the console, very intuitively (type "map nameofwad.wad" as if it were a map. In Eternity, map also loads WADs, unlike ZDoom.).

Then you're free to play the demo.

Look at Prboom-plus and the way it plays demos(you don't even have to load the wad, it loads it for you and the demo at the same time). All you do is click the demo and it will play or you select a wad then it plays automatically. I was just wondering if Eternity had an option like that, although what you wrote above seems convenient.

Also all of my wads and demos aren't in the same folder as EE and some ports. I use ZDL btw and it can do just about anything Doom wise that is.

I have figured out a way for a demo to play automatically though. Simply open up a lump editor, place your demo in the wad and rename it to DEMO1, DEMO2, etc...then you just load up EE with the specified wad and it will play after the title screen(no command lines needed).

Thank you for that information as it will come in handy once I start to understand EE a bit more.

TendaMonsta said:

Look at Prboom-plus and the way it plays demos(you don't even have to load the wad, it loads it for you and the demo at the same time). All you do is click the demo and it will play or you select a wad then it plays automatically. I was just wondering if Eternity had an option like that, although what you wrote above seems convenient.

Also all of my wads and demos aren't in the same folder as EE and some ports. I use ZDL btw and it can do just about anything Doom wise that is.

I have figured out a way for a demo to play automatically though. Simply open up a lump editor, place your demo in the wad and rename it to DEMO1, DEMO2, etc...then you just load up EE with the specified wad and it will play after the title screen(no command lines needed).

Thank you for that information as it will come in handy once I start to understand EE a bit more.

I haven't used PrBoom-plus's automatic loading so I'm unaware of how it works, but since you brought it up, I'll investigate.

TendaMonsta said:

I downloaded Win32 Plus and I have Microsoft Windows 7.

Use the search box on the Start menu and type "environment variable." The dialog to add them to your user account should appear as one of the search results. Click it and I believe the interface is fairly obvious from there. If not, I'll give further instructions after you try it.

TendaMonsta said:
What are the complevels for each specific Iwad?

In PrBoom, 2 is for DOOM v1.9 (the 3 episode registered version or the 1 episode shareware) and DOOM II v1.9, 3 is for The Ultimate DOOM (the 4 episode retail DOOM version), and 4 is for TNT or Plutonia. There are three because the executable files for each product (the two v1.9 games, The Utimate DOOM and Final DOOM) are a bit different from each other (lost souls bounce against the floor or ceiling in the ultimate and final engines, and in the final one there is also a teleporter glitch).

Chocolate Doom, and presumably Eternity with the -vanilla parameter, use the corresponding "compatibility level" (that's a PrBoom term, specifically) automatically when the IWAD is detected or defined. Chocolate also has a -gameversion parameter to override the default behavior. If one wants a Plutonia demo to be read as if recorded with the DOOM II version instead of the Final DOOM version, -gameversion final is added to the command line. Another way to do the same thing on any engine is to run DOOM II as the IWAD, and add Plutonia as a PWAD.