Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

Vertical scrolling middle texture?

Is there a way to make a middle texture have its graphic scroll vertically without it actually moving off into the floor/ceiling? Think eg. waterfalls.

Make a smooth ANIMATED sequence.

You could also try "wafer thin walls" -- two-sided unflagged as two-sided linedefs -- but they're hacky: they block hitscans and monster sight, but not projectiles. Unrealistic for bullets unless you somehow get to explain why supersonic bullets are blocked, and rockets or hot materials can breach through.

I really don't want to make an animated sequence. Don't think it will look OK when seen next to a scrolling floor. Your hack won't do either... waterfall remember? :)

Up till now my solution is a raised deep water sector with no middle textures but with the waterfall graphic as its lower texture. Normally you won't see this lower texture, but due to the deep water nature of its sector that lower texture will be painted where the middle texture ought to be. And since it's not a middle texture but a lower one, it will be able to scroll vertically. Problem solved: a walk-through vertical scrolling waterfall.

But this time I want to be able to use a texture with 'holes' in it... think thick lava falling down in irregular globs. The holes in the texture will be black when you use above technique.

Indeed my suggested hack wouldn't work, because any transparent windows would become tutti frutti. In case you didn't understand, it was about a linedef with two sidedefs, but the 2-S flag cleared. It will act like a border wall against hitscans, sight and texture mapping (it wraps, and in vanilla, no Medusa effect). It will act like a middle wall against projectile, non-projectile actors and by not appearing in the automap.

ZDoom's solution is its own linedef flag that says "wrap middle texture". I can guess that it's a feature waiting to be added in EE.

Failing anything, use N copies of that lava flow, by translating its graphics one pixel below for each frame, and giving a wait of 1 tic for each. It's inefficient, but could allow you more animation freedom.

Wouldn't the usual trick of making the light level on either side of the 2S line differ by at least 1 unit work?

Quasar said:

Wouldn't the usual trick of making the light level on either side of the 2S line differ by at least 1 unit work?

From the thread question, I understood that the whole texture, appearing only once (without wrapping), will move up or down, until disappearing away. I doubt Mordeth's problem is bleeding midtexture here.

Quasar said:

No, because by default, midtextures on 2-sided lines don't vertically tile. ZDoom adds a line flag to control this behavior for setups like what Mordeth described.