Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Quake-style ambient sounds?

Does Eternity have Quake-like ambient sounds, that play from an actor or point source always, even when out of range, so that when I get within their attenuation range, I catch them playing? The Heretic wind and waterfall examples are bad, because they only start playing when I'm close.

EDIT: oh shit, it figures there seems to be already an ambience block for this. I thought only sound sequences existed, that played Heretic-like global sounds.

Double post, but at the top anyway, and just in case the thread got read before double posting, I'm double posting.

Well, it doesn't appear to work. I put these two blocks, first in ESNDSEQ, then I tried in an included lump:

ambience
{
	sound = tortured
	index = 1
	attenuation = static
	type = continuous
	volume = 127
}

ambience
{
	sound = fire1
	index = 2
	attenuation = static
}
and placed two objects, 14001 and 14002, in maps using the data, in the coordinates I want to be heard. They don't play.

printz said:

Double post, but at the top anyway, and just in case the thread got read before double posting, I'm double posting.

Well, it doesn't appear to work. I put these two blocks, first in ESNDSEQ, then I tried in an included lump:

ambience
{
	sound = tortured
	index = 1
	attenuation = static
	type = continuous
	volume = 127
}

ambience
{
	sound = fire1
	index = 2
	attenuation = static
}
and placed two objects, 14001 and 14002, in maps using the data, in the coordinates I want to be heard. They don't play.

You need to look at the output in the -edfout error log first before asking questions and make sure it's not something obvious, before I go strolling over 1000's of lines of code looking for errors that may not even be there :)

To help you out I have added a new warning reporting system to EDF in the latest SVN revision. The number of warnings that happen will be reported unconditionally. To see the actual warning messages on the system console (as well as in the verbose log where they will always appear unconditionally), use the new -edf-show-warnings parameter.

If this doesn't solve anything, let me know.

printz said:

fixed. I'll try to be more silent in the future before bothering.

I value the input you've given, so don't take me wrong. I've fixed a lot of bugs this week alone because of it. I just wanted to point out that there's a new way you can find simple EDF semantic errors and knock 'em out a lot faster than waiting for me to check the forum :>

The error was that I simply accidentally removed the sound definitions when I transitioned to using ambience.

printz said:

The error was that I simply accidentally removed the sound definitions when I transitioned to using ambience.

I kinda figured that might be the problem. Yeah, the ambience definition is separate from the sound it references (so that you can use any sound as an ambient sound :) - When an ambience has an invalid sound reference, the sound is set to sound #0, which is "none" and is never played.

The fact that EDF warnings weren't externally visible without -edfout until now was something of a design problem which I had been meaning to solve for quite a while. I'm glad that's out of the way now.