Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel17

Hooking modern gamers on DOOM

So, interesting story...my roommate always tells me, "why the hell do you play DOOM? It's old and looks like it's mindless". I kept telling him for months that he oughtta just give the game a chance, to which he replied, "nope."

But then the Quakecon pack arrived on Steam and he bought it primarily for the Bethesda games. He, however, decided to give DOOM 2 a shot. His response? "OMG dude, watching you play this game and actually playing it are two different things...no wonder you love these id games so much"

Thank you, Steam :)

Intel17 said:

I kept telling him for months that he oughtta just give the game a chance, to which he replied, "nope."

KILL all nonbelievers!!!

I think a lot of people just assume DOOM is, perhaps, Painkiller with old graphics. But the level design, puzzles, weapons, and character of the game is so much more alive than any of the modern "mow 'em down DOOM wannabes".

No kidding. I enjoyed Serious Sam and Painkiller, but there's really a world of difference between these games and Doom. It's like Doom got every part of the puzzle just right (which is funny, as much of what makes Doom what it is are old technical limitations or even bugs).

Alot of people bash Doom because of it's graphics without ever seeing in it action or playing it for themselves...Quite sad really...

One way I try to persuade the newer gamers to check out Doom is with the comparison that, while whatever new game they've spent $70 to play may have about 30 levels and take them a couple of days to play through, when you consider all the excellent free community-made maps that have been produced over a couple of decades Doom has literally thousands of levels, enough levels in fact that for the rest of your life you could play Doom every day without playing the same levels twice. I don't think any other video game can boast that kind of longevity.

Okay, so you've played through that new Halo release twice now, so what do you do with that $70 disc now? That's a pretty expensive coaster for your coffee table!

My brother likes doom to an extent, it's just... outdated. He won't tell you it's a crappy game; he doesn't even really have any complaints about it, but it's not like he can talk to his other gamer friends about doom. It's old news. The general public is always looking toward the future.

However, as Herculine said, my best selling point is that you get far beyond your money's worth for the game.

also, doom doesn't require supergood hardware. in my business computer programming class, the teacher lets us play games. The uninitiated playing halo just watch it crawl along, but for the other 3 doomersand i doom is nice and speedy. and try making DECORATE mods with Halo!

I've been trying to coax a friend to play Doom for a while, and he kept dissing it becuase it was old and outdated, as if that really matters. (He also complained about a lack of story when he actually played it, on XBox live! Douche...)

He can't exactly be considered a "modern gamer" but Doom is my son's favourite game. Yeah, he's only 4 and it's totally down to my influence but I'm not religous and you have to indoctrinate your kids with something!

He plays PSX Doom on his PS2, Gameboy Doom on his DS and co-ops (mainly Ultimate Doom and OBLIGE maps but also we've also dabbled with Scythe 2 and Plutonia) with me on my laptop hooked up to my TV with a gamepad. He's not that bad for his age except he gets lost easy and often forgets to strafe. That said he's beaten most of Ultimate Doom on ITYTD (an appropriate difficulty setting considering his age!).

He's even dabbled with editing. I got him to draw a map out and I made it with Doombuilder and I've been uploading them under the name CJ Wright. Just kidding but it did remind me of his maps a little.

Codsdammsit, kids these days have the attention span of a goldfish. My 16-year-old nephew gives me hope, though, as he's as big a Doomer as I am. He even PSN'd me today asking "have ya played Stronghold yet?"

Wish I could say the same for the majority of other gamers in my life ...

purist said:

He can't exactly be considered a "modern gamer" but Doom is my son's favourite game. Yeah, he's only 4 and it's totally down to my influence but I'm not religous and you have to indoctrinate your kids with something!

He plays PSX Doom on his PS2, Gameboy Doom on his DS and co-ops (mainly Ultimate Doom and OBLIGE maps but also we've also dabbled with Scythe 2 and Plutonia) with me on my laptop hooked up to my TV with a gamepad. He's not that bad for his age except he gets lost easy and often forgets to strafe. That said he's beaten most of Ultimate Doom on ITYTD (an appropriate difficulty setting considering his age!).

He's even dabbled with editing. I got him to draw a map out and I made it with Doombuilder and I've been uploading them under the name CJ Wright. Just kidding but it did remind me of his maps a little.

It just makes my eyes water with joy at the sound of young children blowing imps into fat, plumpy, organ filled ground goop. Fuck those demons with your shotgun kid, fuck those demons...

When attempting to hook people on Doom think like a drug dealer and not a Jehovah's witness. If they can get beyond the graphics then they will probably enjoy themselves.

An old friend of mine came down to visit a couple weeks ago so we could record a song. During the first night he was here, I showed him a wad of an incomplete remake of our old highschool 10 years ago without telling him what it was (and I never told him about it before), and he recognized it in under 20 seconds. Then he seemed to be really interested in doom the whole time he was here, and I wasn't expecting that because he doesn't really play games at all (I'm sure he must have played or seen doom before in the 90's, and he did play quake2 a bit in the 90's). Whenever we weren't playing/recording music or eating or whatever, we'd be playing doom. I showed him some tweaked oblige slaughter maps and how to kill a cyber with 2 bfg shots, and then he played doom2 starting from map01 on ultra-violence with keyboard and mouse in prboom-plus. Every night he was here he played and he made it to map05 before he left. I helped him a bit at first and showed him where the secrets were, but tried not to ruin the experience. Now he says he thinks about doom and it's all my fault. lols

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Just tell them Halo ripped off Doom indirectly (through the estranged relationship Halo shares with Marathon).

purist said:

He's even dabbled with editing. I got him to draw a map out and I made it with Doombuilder and I've been uploading them under the name CJ Wright.

Holy shit, you had me sold on that one for a couple seconds hahahaha

I asked a former house mate if he wanted to check out this mod I made for doom a while back. In addition to the standard HURFDURF GRAPHICS 9_9 he actually complained about the AI.

Uh what? What the fuck kind of AI dose a game like Doom even need?

Most of my friends are the "modern gamers" you'd usually find on Xbox Live playing Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 2. Some of them had played Doom in the past, and enjoyed it, but just left it afterwards.

I played Doom in school occasionly (when I had the teacher's permission), I was playing one of my mods and I had comments like "Doomguy looks like a ripoff of Mastercheif" and "So you made this game?" It was actually quite difficult getting it through their skulls that I only made the mod, not the whole game!

I got one of my friends to play the game at one time and he gave the usual "Graphics and AI suck" and went back to talk with the others. He came back later when everyone else was gone to say that it was one of the best games he had played, he just didn't want to admit it in front of everyone else...

It seems that some people do like Doom, just are afriad to admit it to the world, as it is "old" and isn't "cool" to like.

Fisk said:

Just tell them Halo ripped off Doom indirectly (through the estranged relationship Halo shares with Marathon).

Also, Masterchief = Doomguy

Ultraboy94 said:

"Doomguy looks like a ripoff of Mastercheif"

Isn't it the other way around? :P

It seems that some people do like Doom, just are afriad to admit it to the world, as it is "old" and isn't "cool" to like.

"This is the crazy world we live in... Now Mr. Homolka, Stop eating my ricecakes!"

PRIMEVAL said:

When my friends want to play a "retro" game, they put in Gears of War -.-

I really do feel that this game is the epitome of everything wrong with modern FPS. I got a chance to play it just the other day... So fucking slow.

I've seen some pretty duff AI in modern games - you don't see Doom's enemies running on the spot for no apparent reason...

No, wait...

Seriously, though, I find it tragic that admitting to liking Doom is such a gaming taboo. Seriously, pay like a tenner for a simple game that will light a fire under your arse for years to come if you let it, or HALF A TON on a hideously over-produced mess with virtually nonexistent gameplay (under the pretense of "realism", of course) which is done and dusted in a few hours (tops), leaving the only remaining "value" in a finite online server full of whinging emo-kids who bitch to moderators every time they get their skill-free arses handed to them about "ZOMFGHAX0RZZ!" (particularly when the PEGI/ESRB rating dictates they shouldn't even be fucking playing the game in the first place).

It could be said that modern gaming is a triumph of style over substance, but most new games I've played haven't had a great deal of style, either.

Fuck you, Kotick. Fuck you and your ma. You too, Blezinski.

Coopersville said:

I hook new gamers by running it with RealGuns2 and telling them I'm playing COD.

Speaking of RealGuns2, I've seen some kick ass videos for it, but where can I actually find the mod itself? And how do I use it?

Most of the dudes I play or played games with think Doom is kewl, but just that it is old. Not that that's saying much, since their favorite FPS is CS 1.6 lol.

I got some people in my school interested in it. Surprisingly none of them seemed to care about the fact that the game is from 1993.

Nomad said:

Also, Masterchief = Doomguy

Only in his dreams, my man. :)