Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

XWE and Chasm: The Rift

The Wiki article for XWE/Chasm: The Rift states that CtR can be modified with XWE? Well, how? I mean, what files can be extracted or edited? I would love to know.

A quick browse through CSM.BIN in XWE turned up plenty of lumps to experiment with - script files like CHASM.INF which appears to contain game-wide definitions, PROCESS.* lumps that function like ACS scripts, RESOURCE.* lumps that appear to define most of a maps content as plain text, SCRIPT.* lumps that drive the game's storyline. Each map has a FLOORS lump which can be edited, though I don't know how you'd go about replacing individual textures. The game's sound samples are straightforward enough OTOH the images are in an unusual format, so you might have to do as this ugly looking webpage suggests and use an image converter if you plan to import new graphics. It's a pity XWE doesn't support the animation and 3D object lumps, though someone out there probably knows what format they're in.
Hope this helps.

Yeah ,That website is mine, sorry about that, it looked fine on my old monitor.
I fixed it and added the download for the map editor.

In response to the question Chasm pictures need to be in .cel format and in the Chasm palette which you can also extract from CSM.BIM with XWE, the biggest hurdle is directory structure, as this is not shown in XWE and you have to have the picture in the right directory structure under your Chasm folder.

That's much easier to read. Main problem with the previous layout was a lack of contrast between text and background.

XWE's support for Chasm is probably more by accident than design and unfortunately isn't going to improve unless someone decides to make it a personal project. OTOH - if you can get Gez interested, he might add Chasm support to Slade.

You should see my old Hovertank3d mod page (transformers of course)
it needs some work too!

I sent a PM to CloneHunter, I have all kinds of neat info for his CHASM wiki.

If we could just get XWE to replace the existing content in CSM.bin or to convert any format to .CEL (Lumena cel format) we'd be well on our way!

the 3D model format is unknown even to TRid but i found a post on 'Diehardwolfers' that mentions a beta version of CHASM with a model viewer

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=2944&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=20

8th post down.

unfortunately he was a guest and gave no good details about what disks these were included on except that they were included with a f-22 model viewer as well.

I have all the known codes and command switches for CHASM as well.

AlphaPrime(CW) said:

the 3D model format is unknown even to TRid but i found a post on 'Diehardwolfers' that mentions a beta version of CHASM with a model viewer

Found it! Test-demo v1.02 of what was then titled "The Chasm". Attempting to run the viewer from a command prompt only produced a "Runtime error 200" message, which I seem to recall means I need a much slower CPU. Running it in DOS-Box might sidestep the error, otherwise I'll hunt down the patcher I used to fix this problem in another Dos utility.

EDIT - Found the patcher I needed which fixes what seems to be a fairly common Turbo Pascal bug. The viewer now runs like a charm - in fullscreen mode when run from the command prompt.

Got a patcher and fixed it so it works on my XP system, however it only works with the demos 3o files not the full versions they must have changed the model format some between releases. still at least we have the file to add to the growing CHASM archive.

The beta itself works nicely in DOSBox as does CHASM (CHASM will work on XP without help but crashes after briefings, even with VDMSound.

Strange as it saves screenshots in CEL format instead of PCX like the full version, also this CEL format is slightly different as AB picture convertor won't read it but XNView will (although VERY DARK), theres no mouse view, and the bow weapon is very different, curious to see if these will work with the full version? and if XWE will read the CSM.BIN from the beta?

Anyhoo, I'll make some screenshots of the 3o viewer and the beta for Clonehunters Wiki.

AlphaPrime(CW) said:

. . . it only works with the demos 3o files not the full versions they must have changed the model format some between releases.

If only they'd updated the viewer. :(

Wonder how tedious it is to decipher the model's data structure? Might invest some time finding out. It's odd that they'd modify their image format as well, given what they started with isn't exactly mainstream. My search for that viewer turned up several beta/demo releases, I'll let you know how XWE gets on with them.

it may not be that they changed their picture format, it seems that AB picture converter doesn't like XP, it was giving me an error, I initially assumed that it was the picture file, since the demo of ABPC has expired and the company is no longer in existence i'll have to find a way around it.
As no other program I know of can 'Save' Lumena CEL pictures.

ANY links to CHASM betas and stuff please send to me as i'll add them to my growing collection of CHASM software.

Running ABPC in a virtual windows98se seems to work nicely.

*EDIT:
No they didn't change their CEL format ABPC was just not working right under XP, so i'm using it under virtualPC with Windows98se and its working fine. even the beta versions screen captures

Our search for an editing program for Autodesk(Lumena) .Cel files is over!
I found a new program thats free and works great on XP! its called IMAGINE.
Its by a Korean guy, and it saves cel files like a charm, (make sure you apply the CHASM palette and add the .cel extension before saving!)

I added the link to my CHASM site and a bunch more stuff, I'll add links to those betas you found if you send me the links to them!.

Now all we need is for XWE to be able to replace files in CSM.bin, or do an 'extract all' without changing all the extensions.

Next i'm working on a list showing the required directory structure for different files,
this will show where to put modded files, we know that graphics,monster and level data can be outside the bin file so lets hope everything can.

Custom levels can be accessed using the 'GO' command in the console,
the Console is activated with BACKSPACE during gameplay,
it has two sides the right side allows for typed commands,
to warp to a level use 'GO ##' where ## is the level number,
custom levels are assigned a level number when they are made, use this number

Um, according to my USERMAP folder, the custom level is under the folder LEVEL 30, right? So My command would be 'GO 30'? If so, it doesn't work. (Go 24 or 23 brings me to a rather interesting level by the way... It looks like a DM map, but with monsters scattered arund it)

Clonehunter said:

Um, according to my USERMAP folder, the custom level is under the folder LEVEL 30, right? So My command would be 'GO 30'? If so, it doesn't work. (Go 24 or 23 brings me to a rather interesting level by the way... It looks like a DM map, but with monsters scattered arund it)

Did you add the command line parameter "-addon:USERMAP\" ? If you load Chasm up normally it will not see the additional levels when you use the go command.