Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Community mapset with continual mapping

Imagine the next thing:

We want to make a new community project. A mapper (e.g. me) made MAP01, and he/she (woman mappers exists anywhere?) made MAP02 start places. These places continues the previous level from the exit. For example, MAP01 ends on an empty room, and MAP02 starts with the same room; or MAP01 ends in an empty outdoor place, MAP02 starts in an empty outdoor place too. So when you made your level, and the next level will continue on the place, which previous level finished.

Do you understand?

And the funny thing: when you finished, you send the next level start only, and the next mapper will continue that, as he/she wants.

What do you think about that?

I think it's a cool idea but it could slow down the already cumbersome process of getting so many people to finish a map.

Maybe you could have people design the end of their level first? So even if they aren't finished, the person in the next slot can have something to build from

magicsofa said:

Maybe you could have people design the end of their level first? So even if they aren't finished, the person in the next slot can have something to build from

Yes, it is a good idea :) I didn't think about the slowness...
or maybe 3 mappers start to make the 3 episodes, and two more, which want to make the secret levels

I like the idea of a continuous community mapset as they are obviously usually thematically clashing by their nature. I'd also like to see weapon/ammo progression rather than pistol starts for every map but this would add to the issue of delaying maps that magicsofa pointed out.

A couple more ideas to add.

1: Ever do that thing at school where you start a story and the next kid has to continue where you left off? How about posting the story of your map on the forum with an indicator of where to go next. The next mapper in line would then have incorporate the end of the previous map's story into his map before taking the story somewhere else. And so on for each map. Would be cool/funny I think.

2. How about making it a speedmapping exercise? Each person gets a week (or any other pre-determined amount of time) before he has to pass his map on to the next in line. This would solve this problem of delayed maps too.

Wow, better and better ideas! I'm not a good guy about institution, so I didn't think about these problem solvings. :)

Cool idea I suppose. Duke Nukem 3D used this scheme in creating the episodes. "E2L2 ended in a red elevator? Then, E2L3 begins with the elevator going up!"

Cell said:

Cool idea I suppose. Duke Nukem 3D used this scheme in creating the episodes. "E2L2 ended in a red elevator? Then, E2L3 begins with the elevator going up!"

And Duke Nukem 3D wasn't and won't the only game which use this concept :P

Sure it isn't/wasn't. Everything created stuff uses 60-80% of ideas from somewhere else. Otherwise they do nothing but all-selfmade... rubbish.

Sounds like a nice idea. Maybe the story telling aspect could go one further and become a community fan fic to got with the eventual wad?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind. I believe there was once a community project to make maps for fan fics so it's like an extension of that.

If this appeals to people should we start a new thread or edit the first post/thread name to include rules etc?

As I said, I'm not a good guy in institution, and also I don't have time in every day, so if we want to make this project, an other man need, who lead the project with me

okay, sorry, my English is so terrible... I try to say it...

If we van to make this project, a "leader" need, who make the "administration" things (e.g. mappers send the maps for the "leader", he/she write attentions for the inactive mappers, etc.), like The Green Herring in Community Chest 4, or Jonas Feragen in Hell Revealed 2 (but I don't know how HR2 made, so it is an example only)

Well, I'm lame, so I can't be a good leader for this project... and also I don't have many time

Sorry, Magicsofa. As it was mentioned several times before, we're BOTH Hungarians along with Katamori.
Though I take my mappings quite seriously, I don't suppose I would make a satisfactory leader. Katamori was the one who brought the subject up, and I really don't have an idea if he doesn't want to be the leader.

Well, on late October and early November I mustn't go to school, so I have 1 free week.

But I don't believe to find enogh people for the project under 1 week...

I'll start a new thread, post some rules and host/organise the maps if Katamori doesn't mind?

purist said:

I'll start a new thread, post some rules and host/organise the maps if Katamori doesn't mind?

No problem :)

Katamori said:

my English is so terrible...

hehe no worries, I got that you couldn't lead the project. 'Institution' is just a funny word to use - but in a poetic way, or perhaps even archaic, it makes sense :D

Looking forward to see how many people get on board, I'm certainly interested

magicsofa said:

'Institution' is just a funny word to use - but in a poetic way, or perhaps even archaic, it makes sense :D

Looking forward to see how many people get on board, I'm certainly interested

1. Poetic way? lol

2. I'm interested that thing too