Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vdgg

D2reload demos [Doom2/+ or -complevel 2]

I'd like to present three UV Max demos for d2reload.wad

My first impression was... not very great (MAP01). Luckily, out of curiosity I watched the FDA demos by skepticist and Heretic. It turned out that there are some fantastic maps out there!

I'd love to do maxes for MAPS 18,26,28, but I won't have time
until late December. Can somebody else record them?

The demos in the zip file:

MAP19 UV Max 8:46 Tech lab. Cool layout and architecture here!
MAP22 UV Max 5:33 Non-linear castle level with some BFG action.
MAP32 UV Max 23:54 Puzzle level. Quoting the author: "Your efforts will be rewarded if you can complete this map with 100% secrets. Everyone fails the first time"

I went for the naming convention dd19-846 (DD for D2reloaD) so the files won't be confused with Darkening 2 demos.

d2reload_19_22_32.zip

Three more d2reload.wad demos:

MAP18 UV Max 6:49 Unconventional gameplay make it one of the most original maps in Doom history. In this UV Max demo I don't press fire button until 2:39!!
MAP26 UV Max 9:35 Something for Cleimos 2 / Obituary / Plutonia MAP26 enthusiasts...
MAP28 UV Max 14:30 Huge castle level, first part in the style of Alien Vendetta MAP11. Nearly as good.

d2reload_18_26_28.zip

Two more demos for d2reload.wad. "Never say never", but I doubt I will record any more. I was very enthusiastic about all the maps for which I recorded demos, but the rest is quite unconvincing for me. And I'm not TendaMonsta who loathes MAP06 of Whispers of Satan, yet he recorded a UV Max demo. Impressive...

This time there are two levels with lots of slime and an old school feel.

MAP08 UV Max 8:01
MAP13 UV Max 6:20

d2reload_08_13.zip

A set of miscellaneous demos for the first three levels of what I consider the best WAD of 2009 - DOOM 2 Reloaded:

filename | map   | category  | kills | secrets | time
 -----------------------------------------------------
 d2r01max | MAP01 |  UV Max   |  100  |   100   | 5:17
 d2r01ns  | MAP01 |  N100S    |   72  |   100   | 3:11
 d2r01sp  | MAP01 |  UV Speed |   40  |    20   | 2:03
 d2r02max | MAP02 |  UV Max   |  101  |   100   | 6:41
 d2r02gm  | MAP02 |  UV -fast |  100  |   100   | 7:24
 d2r02sp  | MAP02 |  UV Speed |   70  |    50   | 3:21
 d2r03max | MAP03 |  UV Max   |  100  |   100   | 6:44
 d2r03sp  | MAP03 |  UV Speed |   40  |    40   | 2:57
I greatly enjoyed vdgg's handful of d2reload maxes, too bad he gave up on it. Let's hope that following this post there will be more demos for this terrific megawad! ;)

Never_Again said:
It's a shame that the best WAD of 2009 doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Only 8 maxes after 8 months?

The things are not as bad as they seem. There's a Pacifist demo for MAP14, a NM demo for MAP30, UV Speed for MAP31 and two wonderful sets of FDAs which boost the statistics so much that d2reload is in DSDA Top 20 already!

As I said in November last year, "I doubt I will record any more. I was very enthusiastic about all the maps for which I recorded demos, but the rest is quite unconvincing for me." It was a very harsh statement, but I actually considered a Max for MAP27 which is very nice, but a horrible cyberdemon placement discouraged me. I may try it again, though, when I have a bit of time. I'd like to see demos for MAP15 and MAP29; the former for Tyson action, the latter for the simple reason I couldn't figure it out. Hitherto liked this WAD very much, so maybe we should encourage him somehow? ;)

Nice demos, BTW, N_A, the maxes way below par time, I even enjoyed this MAP01 Max despite the fact I think it's the worst map in the set.

Well, "best wad" and "most demo-friendly wad" aren't always the same thing, so the lack of demos on a wad doesn't mean people don't like it.

Never_Again said:
what I consider the best WAD of 2009

From what I played, I agree with the assessment, although I stopped early because I'm trying to get a friend to FDA-coop it.

DoomHero85 said:

d2reload.wad map 12 UV-max in 7:44

Thanks for introducing me to a fun map, but you need to be a lot more aggressive in your demos. Such as with the chaingunners near the start - it's almost impossible to die there. And running around "looking for things" is right out!

I've done 4:42 with a little practice - I bet someone could get it under 4 minutes.

dd12-442.zip

Yeah, I know I am a bit tentative in my playing sometimes. Especially if it's an area I had trouble with in the past. Anyway, here's a uv-speed of map 28 of d2reload.wad in 3:37, I think it's quite a bit more aggressive :) I may not have needed the 2nd secret though. Very large, tough map.

d2r28337.zip

vdgg said:

so much that d2reload is in DSDA Top 20 already!

Nice to see that, but most maps still lack maxes.

vdgg said:

I'd like to see demos for MAP15 and MAP29; the former for Tyson action, the latter for the simple reason I couldn't figure it out. Hitherto liked this WAD very much, so maybe we should encourage him somehow? ;)

We should, but good luck finding him.

vdgg said:

Nice demos, BTW, N_A, the maxes way below par time.

Thank you, vdgg, but there's a maxpak in the works that will grind my times into dust. Not that this should discourage anyone from recording their own takes - the more, the merrier!

Grazza said:

Well, "best wad" and "most demo-friendly wad" aren't always the same thing,

Most of the maps are probably not inviting for UV Speed or NM, but there is fertile ground for some pretty Maxes.

A couple of UV-Maxes for Doom 2 Reloaded:

Map11 (dd11-523) - an enjoyable map and not too hard. Lots of room for improvement by the more daring (or reckless and lucky) player.

Map13 (dd13-520) - another good map but much more of a strain to play fast. I was worried this was too pedestrian an effort, and experienced a moment of dread when I saw vdgg had already recorded a max on it. All that time I spent seemed wasted, but to my relief this turned out to be a minute faster.

dd11-523-dd13-520.zip

Map14 UV Max in 4:29 (dd14-429)

I made a point of not watching Tatsurd's max for this first because I thought it would be an interesting experiment to compare the difference in strategies afterwards. Though this did condemn me to slogging away with far too many tries before beating his time. I've got to admit Tatsurd's tactics seem more rational than mine with more effective choice of weapons, but then again you only get to see your own frustrating failed attempts.

dd14-429.zip

Map15 UV Max in 7:47 (dd15-747)

A relatively bland and easy techbase map. It could have done with a few more tries to get the time down further, but playing the start was so tiresome I couldn't be bothered with it any longer.

dd15-747.zip

cack_handed said:
Map15 UV Max in 7:47 (dd15-747)

Wow, very nice! A few times I said I don't like glides (not only because I can't do them; demos with glides are just less interesting to watch than demos without them), but this one was absolutely unexpected and enjoyable, as well! I also couldn't help laughing at BFG-ing a barrel @6:24 :)

Phml said:
Map28 UV Max in 11:32

A well deserved time, congrats! (You were unlucky with the pain elementals, without those swarms of lost souls it would have been even faster)

Thanks. You're right, with a different route killing the PEs earlier I can save more than a minute ; however, I keep getting killed by a cybie rocket at the last teleport on all my good runs, so no better demos from me so far.

Like I wrote in the text files, if I had known that Skepticist had recorded demos for maps 06 and 09, I wouldn't have bothered. I hate beating other people's demo times unless there are extenuating circumstances, like a new version of the wad, a significantly different route, or if the map happens to be one of my favorites (like SoD 33 or Eternal Memories). This was none of the above, so I only did it because I assumed there were no other demos.

Andy did his usual DSDA update on Sunday night, when I had already finished recording both maps. I figured since I had already recorded them, I might as well as share. Map 16 is a new Max though, I think.

Map 06 UV Max in 5:50
Map 09 UV Max in 5:42
Map 16 UV Max in 5:32

ddmaxes.zip

Qaatar said:
extenuating circumstances, like a new version of the wad, a significantly different route, or if the map happens to be one of my favorites

I guess Vrack 2 was "all of the above" :)

I personally like seeing faster demos on maps which I played. I think I learned quite a lot just by watching Lost Heretic's pe4_dt3 demos in which he had destroyed my hard-worked recordings. So if someone wants d2reload MAP32, just do it, I think it deserves a serious improvement.

Great demos on MAP09, MAP16 (watched these two so far). MAP09 has a totally different approach than Skep, I think. In MAP16 I liked SSGing three demons at 1:24. I also noticed there's a Plutonia-MAP25-tribute part in this map, which I had never realized before.

Skepticist, if you're reading this, what a great MAP29 demo!

vdgg said:

I guess Vrack 2 was "all of the above" :)

Meh, my Vrack 2 demo was total garbage. I'd rather watch yours than mine, even if my demo was slightly faster. But yeah, I really enjoy Vrack 2...1 and 3 are...slightly less enjoyable, to say the least...

:)

vdgg said:

Skepticist, if you're reading this, what a great MAP29 demo!

I assume this is a joke? :)

Seriously, this was just a practice run after all, it's not even a "speedmax", all i was aiming for is to beat the map and to not miss a thing (just like with map08). I do not believe my reglular casual play is that impressive, lol. Especially my lame attempts to kill cybers in two shots... But a some demo better than nothing, right?

As for Qaatar demos i see nothing to worry about since they are so much faster. I'm discouraged a bit by map09 new max (01 & 05 & 09 took most time to record, while most others are just first or second exits, like 06, 08, 10 or 29), but i guess you just used different approach. Anyway, keep up the good job.

@skepticist:
I didn't seriously even try MAP29, but maybe it's easy and straightforward and I got a wrong impression? ;)
Well, good luck to anyone who tries to kill all these cybers in a "clean and ammo efficient" way. I noticed Eschdoom's "par time" indicator which was 21:45, so really nothing lame about a sub-20 min.demo. Yeah, but then I've made a dangerous step and commented on a demo of a perfectionist...

Map17 UV Max in 7:31.

*Hud Used*.

The hud significantly reduced my total recording time for this map. Not sure if I used the optimal route, but details in the text.

dd17-731.zip