Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Paul Jaquays Interview

I can't believe nobody mentioned this already, but Dear chiQ has posted an excusive interview with Paul Jaquays, who just recently parted ways with id Software. The interview talks about his decision to leave id, what he'll be doing next, and more. Here's a Doomy quote since this is a Doom site and all:

I may be one of the few people actively involved in the computer gaming industry who has absolutely no nostalgia for the original Doom. Sounds shocking, yes? But I didn't have access to a computer that played it during its heyday. I've gotten my FPS enjoyment from later games like Quake 2, Quake 3 Arena, Team Arena and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. So, on that day in June in 2000 when John Carmack suddenly decided to switch id's development focus away from our next scheduled project and turn it towards a new version of Doom, I can't say I was very happy about it. Before that event, I was excited about the project we were supposed to do next, and was looking forward to working along with Graeme Devine on it as a game designer. The sudden decision to drop our next project and make another version of Doom was a real emotional slam to me.

Remember that Doom 3 started full-blown production around 18 months ago, so regardless of his leaving, Jaquays still ought to have a lot of material that will make it into the final game.

For some reason I can't see most of the text on the site. Is that 'coz of my browser or is the site still experiencing technical difficulties? And where the hell is newstuff? :)

Virgil: I need more explanation on what you mean when you can't see most of the text of the site. What OS? Browser? Can I get a screenshot? Etc...

Ling, I think it has to do with your hosts instructions for ridding the pop-unders.

Try it the other way Virgil, remove the hosts entry for mediamgr.ugo.com and add it to the IE restricted sites list.

so Jaq-gheys doesn't like Doom, huh?

Quake 2? Oh, please.

FUCK HIM THEN HE'S MISSED THE POINT.

Originally posted by Linguica
I can't believe nobody mentioned this already, but Dear chiQ has posted an excusive interview with Paul Jaquays, who just recently parted ways with id Software.

The first thing I did when I saw the news at Doomworld was that I sent in the news to the DW news system - it never came up.

Later, I've figured that it's probably because I have hotmail or something, as it's definitely not the first time I've attempted to send in news in vain.

So here's a question: In the future if I see some news elsewhere, may I post them in this forum?

The DW frontpage (perhaps that was a bad choice of words :) looks great!
but Netscape has always had an issue with css and loading multiple javascripts. In Netscape the text is black on a black background.
Glad to see Ling decided on a style... or styles, I should say.
Keep on Dooming! (err, that's classic Doom not Finalquake or UT-Doom2 or whatever the next one's called...)

To give up a very high paying job just because he didn't play Doom when his mates were. Paul, were you bullied back then for not being in the Doom "Cool" gang. Poor child