Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HenKonen

Unity City, a 6-level classic doom style wad

Finally, I finished this.

About half a year ago, I finally got my wish and found Doom Builder 2. I could finally draw my own Doom levels. The Ultimate Doom being my all time favourite game as a kid, I was stoked. Shortly after that, I found a youtube user who made tutorial videos to how to do more complicated maps than just running endless corridors occasionally blasting some imps away. I finished two maps and for some reason saved them in the same wad.

Why stop there, I thought.

And now, it is complete! After about half a year of working seldomly, this 6-level wad is complete. It takes place mostly in Knee-Deep in the Dead -styled maps.

These are my very first maps ever made (excluding a mindless test map I used to make to learn how to raise and lower platforms), and therefore uses pretty much only the Doom2 -iwad actors and textures, with the exceptions of all self-composed music, custom title and intermission screens, the modified MAPINFO lump and a crummy storyline.

After the notorious events in Phobos, UAC has stricly forbidden the usage of any teleportation equipment. However, after some time a message is sent to a secret military evacuation base in Mars, Unity City.
A gateway has been opened again, and the horrors of Phobos are now taking place on earth. The army forces cooperating with the UAC begin a desperate effort of transporting its military elite to safety, and gives the order to open the portal in Unity City.
Something goes horribly wrong, and communications with Unity City are lost. You, returning from a supply transmission in Mars, are the last man outside the earth’s atmosphere. With the rest of humanity trapped on earth, it is you who is called to investigate the situation…

In my youtube channel, there is a video showing clips of the music included in the wad. Feel free to check it out if you are not interested in the wad itself.

Download the wad here

Edit: DL link fixed as Megaupload has been vaporized into the depths of internet

A 2 hour midi!

Theres also a texture lump defining new textures, yet your wad doesn't include any new textures and the maps only use doom2 textures.

Certain ports such as Doomsday and ZDoom can handle texture lumps that refer to missing textures, but most ports will abort.

That said, the levels appear to get better as you play through them.

Vermil said:

A 2 hour midi!

Theres also a texture lump defining new textures, yet your wad doesn't include any new textures and the maps only use doom2 textures.

Certain ports such as Doomsday and ZDoom can handle texture lumps that refer to missing textures, but most ports will abort.

That said, the levels appear to get better as you play through them.

Oh yes, that texture lump got left there. In one map I tried to add custom wall textures but couldn't get it to work. Then I forgot to remove it. But it works with Zdoom, and if I remember correctly, it runs with SkullTag too.

And I didn't know how to make a midi loop, so I made the musics into 40min lasting loops myself. Only 6 maps, so the file size doesn't get too big on my opinion. How to make a midi track loop, advice is welcome.

Thanks for the feedback!

Herska said:

And I didn't know how to make a midi loop, so I made the musics into 40min lasting loops myself. Only 6 maps, so the file size doesn't get too big on my opinion. How to make a midi track loop, advice is welcome.

That depends on the software you use. You can look here for the technical details. That said, there are no standard loop control value. The one indicated in this article is 111, which is what is used by RPGMaker to loop back to the start of the file. ZDoom doesn't use this, since instead it uses the Apogee EMIDI extensions, which uses 111 for track exclusion. You use 118 then to mark the loop begin point, and 119 to mark the loop end point. (For a single track, you can use 116 and 117 instead.)

why rapidshare again, WHY?

(please guys, next time use filefront, megaupload or mediafire on your files upload!)

walter confalonieri said:

(please guys, next time use filefront, megaupload or mediafire on your files upload!)

Or DRD Team... (Okay, you have to register or your upload limit is 0.)

walter confalonieri said:

I made a few slight changes to some unpegged linedef textures and corrected some problems with the music and such (same wad and same levels, errors fixed). The 1.4 version can be found in megaupload (decided to give that a try, I don't know much of the file sharing services).

Link in the original message.