Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Are there any mods based on the status screens from Doom 1?

When I played Doom as a kid, I was fascinated by the Episode 1/2/3 status screns, particularly the one from Inferno. I felt a bit disappointed that the levels themselves didn't really look much like their visual representations on the intermission graphic.

Given the prominence of Zdoom/Gzdoom wads, has anyone actually attempted to create maps based on these graphics? I know that Knee Deep in Zdoom has a fly-by of the Episode 1 status screen during intermission, but I'm not talking about that. I'm quite curious if anyone has made even a single map based on these graphics.

They would probably look like Doom 3, somewhat :-p

Only in Doom 3 you get to see what's "in between" the various labs and bases you fight in (you even ride a monorail that crosses the Martian wastelands), but otherwise yeah, the levels themselves only superficially look like what the map suggests.

For E1M1 you can see a control tower (presumably the Green Armor zone, for the Toxin Refinery you can see the dominant green theme from the outside...and that's it.

For the rest they look like boxes, and there was only so much the Doom engine could to to represent them without making ultra-complex levels.

That being said, there was a very detailed Episode 1 remake that probably has the level of detail you ask for -or similar.

I appreciate the link, but I'm talking less about the titles of the of the levels, or the areas "in between" the bases.

Look at the Inferno screen for instance. I love all the crazy stuff going on; the spikes sticking out the ground, the skull in the side of the mountain, the bleeding pyramid/prison/thing, the threatening fortress, the flaming waterfall...I know it's complex, structurally, but it can be easily adapted for Doom. Hell, I'd even pay a team of mappers to make it.

I thought you were going to say that you wanted to see mods with custom intermission maps. I think that'd be pretty awesome. Doom 2 disappoints me for only having an unchanging texture between levels.

Episode three of an overambitious project I never even started was going to feature a hellish landscape based on Doom's episode 3 intermission map.

Creaphis said:

I thought you were going to say that you wanted to see mods with custom intermission maps. I think that'd be pretty awesome.

As far as I know, there exist only one of them currently: Xaser's Lost Episode.

Creaphis said:

Doom 2 disappoints me for only having an unchanging texture between levels.

They probably wanted simplicity, expecially for an intermission.
OR they wanted to decrase the file size as much as possible by getting rid of a bunch of extra graphics.

Bishop said:

They probably wanted simplicity, expecially for an intermission.
OR they wanted to decrase the file size as much as possible by getting rid of a bunch of extra graphics.

What's more likely is they were rushed... or lazy.

Creaphis said:

or lazy.

That.

Same reason there's no intermap for E4; nor for Heretic's E4 and E5. Though by far the worst offender as far as laziness goes is Hexen Deathkings of the Dark Citadel.

GoatLord said:

Hell, I'd even pay a team of mappers to make it.

Hey, I'll give you the money to pay them. It could be an extremely kick ass map.

GoatLord said:

*Inferno Intermission Screen*

It just reminds me being a kid again: I always thought E3M1 is a HOSPITAL or something else! :D

I've never been good at trying to embark on Doom projects. I always abandon them or get overly ambitious. But I'd love to see something like that, especially for Inferno. At the same time, I also think it would be very interesting if someone were to make E4 and Doom 2 intermission screens.

I find it strange and somewhat amusing that the title pic says that you are entering the Unholy Cathedral and pointing towards the lava up there, yet there are two very obvious buildings that resembles a cathedral more than what the arrow is pointing at.

Doomhuntress said:

I find it strange and somewhat amusing that the title pic says that you are entering the Unholy Cathedral and pointing towards the lava up there, yet there are two very obvious buildings that resembles a cathedral more than what the arrow is pointing at.

That's Doom for ya.

I love those intermission screens. Ah, memories.

Great idea; that bloody prison/hospital/whatever would be a blast to make as a map. Can't guarantee the timeframe, but I'm on it!

Quasar: "I always thought that a gigantic cacodemon should rise out of the sand where those horns are."

It does look like they took those horns right out of the caco graphic.

Doomhuntress said:

I think the arrow is indicating where you are, meaning that you are just reaching the entrance to the cathedral, and the building you're referring to is where the doomguy is going to be when the level is played.

I noticed Slough of Despair is the same way, as I'm sure the entire map isn't a pair of stone tablets with torches next to them, you eventually climb your way down into an ashy volcanic trench.

I made some "high-res" versions for all the doom intermission screens in 3ds max for doomsday some years ago. I wonder where they went? Are they still downloadable? Do anybody use them?

If i rembember correctly they were a tiny bit shit n plastic..

I wish the episode had more places. Notice that you never go the the big mountain range to the left, or the spiky hill. I also wish there were a bigger map of Hell, say if that one zoomed out and gave a more expansive view of all the levels that might exist. Also, Limbo is in the wrong place in the episode. If we're going in order of Dante's Inferno, it's the first one, and Dis is actually the 6th one, while maps 8 and 9 would be Malebolge and Cocytus respectively. Cocytus is supposed to be a frozen lake at the center of Hell.

I know sprawling outdoor segments are not what Doom is renowned for, but it might be neat to make the distance between locations playable. Hell would be neat for its desert setting. Persistent world anyone? Classic Doom MMO?

RightField said:

I made some "high-res" versions for all the doom intermission screens in 3ds max for doomsday some years ago. I wonder where they went? Are they still downloadable?

At Doomsday site? You can download them and check if they're yours. ;)
They're probably embedded in some pack -maybe jDUI, maybe DHTP, maybe something else.

I would do it if I could edit. It's embarassing, but that's an area of computing--simple as it is--that I never got used to. The most damning thing about it is that I'm an artist and could easily sketch out all the details.

RightField said:

I made some "high-res" versions for all the doom intermission screens in 3ds max for doomsday some years ago. I wonder where they went? Are they still downloadable? Do anybody use them?

If i rembember correctly they were a tiny bit shit n plastic..

I ripped all those out of it along with other parts of the pack to use as wallpapers :p