Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Ronge

Scythe demos [-complevel 2]

Seeing your demo made me want to try it. This is just one hour's work, first exit, so can be improved greatly (especially after the yellow key).

Map14 Pacifist in 1:57

PrBoom+ 2.5.0.6
-complevel 2
HUD used

sc14-157.zip

Nice job, Philnemba and Phml. I have a question related to the Pacifist category and to this very level. Am I allowed to shoot at a barrel (it never explodes after one pistol shot). There's a rule that says "no destroying barrels that hurt monsters" but I just wanted to make it easier to be destroyed by monsters...

I guess that's one of those marginal areas of the pacifist category.

Clearly there is nothing wrong with shooting a barrel and destroying it, as long as the blast doesn't harm any monsters.

Clearly you can nudge a barrel slightly aside with the pistol or non-berserk fist if this is to allow you to get through an area (either faster than you could otherwise, or that you couldn't get through at all). And if that barrel later gets caught in the monsters' cross-fire and explodes more easily thanks to the damage you've done, and monsters are hurt, then that isn't your fault.

But you're talking about reducing the barrel's "health" purely with the aim of increasing the chance of monsters being harmed later, then I think that isn't quite within the spirit of pacifist play. It's a little like making repeated teleports in the hope of getting "accidental" telefrags. Yes, the telefrags are accidental in themselves, but if the only reason you made the teleports them was in the hope of killing a monster, then they aren't especially pacifist.

I think the meta-rule here is: If the route you run makes complete sense as a way to reach the exit, monsters or no monsters, then you can't really be blamed for any incidental indirect damage to monsters.

aah finally someone dared to go for map14 pacifist, very nice!
I did this demo long time ago, it's surely improvable, although as Phml posted a slower one i'll post mine too ;)

Map14 UV-Pacifist in 1:12

Concerning the intentional dammage to a barel - i don't see it as a violation of a pacifist's ideals and i can't agree with what Grazza said - in that manner you should call the intentional monsters infighting non-pacifist too. you just 'help' the mosters kill themselves in both cases. while in the case of telefrags, you are actually killing them yourself.
Also i used this 'trick' in scythex map01 pacifist and from that experience i'd say it is something that can make a pacifist run much more interesting, so personally i'd encourage everybody to use it ;)

sc14p112.zip

I always thought that a Pacifist run was never firing your weapon and using your fist but meh I guess I was wrong about that. Anyway great runs Phml, Graim and tatsurd.

Graim said:

Concerning the intentional dammage to a barel - i don't see it as a violation of a pacifist's ideals and i can't agree with what Grazza said - in that manner you should call the intentional monsters infighting non-pacifist too. you just 'help' the mosters kill themselves in both cases.

Please note that my last sentence started "If", not "If and only if". That is, this is a guideline to assess demos that feature damage to monsters that is within the "marginal" areas of pacifist (telefrags, indirect damage from other map features that the player has interacted with either by shooting or otherwise activating). Provoking infighting is explicitly OK by the pacifist rules and this guideline therefore doesn't apply to it.

I think one of the most intelligent comments I have seen on this type of question was the one by Xit-Vono here:

My opinion is that telefrags should be allowed under most circumstances. For example, if you are simply running the level as fast as possible you can get away with anything, even running into a teleport just after a monster. However, if you slow down to wait for a monster to reach a teleport spot(or for him to enter before you), then that would be not allowed. Also, for crushers, if you activate it by switch, then it should rarely be allowed, except for example rq08 where there is no other way to finish the map. I doubt that rq08 is possible anyways due to tons of blocking monsters, but this would be an example of what I'm talking about. If you activate a crusher by walking over a line and that line is on your route, then it's ok to kill monsters with them, as long as you don't slow down to lure monsters under them.

Wonderful to see another pacifist on a map with Romero. It's been a while...

Yes, unless you are very lucky with other monsters, lost souls are the best bet by far for attacking Romero's head. Its height is actually very small, and a misdirected attack from other monsters will just go over it, kind of like if it were a ghost. Only if the height is perfect (due to a floor height difference being just right) will the attack connect. The other good way to kill Romero pacifist-style is with splash damage from a cyber or archie, but that obviously isn't feasible here.

Thus if you have a boss shooter in a situation like this, then the two monsters you are hoping for are PEs and archies - a reverse from normal.

that lost soul took forever to fly down. impressive run, tatsurd.

Scythe Map28 UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:27
Scythe Map28 UV Max in 0:31 (First demo that kills all reachable monsters and gets the secret)

Long long story with the UV Max, read the txt :P

kimoscy2.zip

Great work on level 28, kimo, and I see those lost souls had their share of fun!

That technicality about the shotguns and 2 shells is new to me, at least consciously, as I had occasionally noticed unexplained switches to the shotgun instead of the SSG.

Scythe MAP22 Nightmare Pacifist in 0:28.

Not a very serious demo, I recorded it just to keep myself in tone. BTW, it's done with PrBoom Plus -complevel 2 (unlike my old 0:29 here, which was recorded with DOS Doom2.exe), so maybe purists will find my old demo better :-)

sn22p028.zip

SAV88 said:

Here's a much less ugly run, in 7:38.

Nice stuff here. You didn't get trapped by the archnotrons this time :P

Vile said:

Scythe map23 UV Max in 1:34
Recorded in Prboom-Plus 2.5.0.8 -complevel 2

That was rather fast. I noticed that you squandered a second at the very end :P :P.

Vile, your return to demo recording is one of Doomworld's greatest surprises for me and others. Your SC23-134 not only features a more rational strategy, but also is brilliant in execution, and I'm sure you can take back many of your other beaten records if you want.

woah, return in style. demos like these are why i prefer scythe over other wads. :)

SAV88 said:

Vile, your return to demo recording is one of Doomworld's greatest surprises for me and others. Your SC23-134 not only features a more rational strategy, but also is brilliant in execution, and I'm sure you can take back many of your other beaten records if you want.

I wasn't really planning to take back records, although I did use to have that one. It's just a fun map. :)