Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Clearing out more of my backlog from this year...

Dsnacks
Map 1 UV Speed in 0:11
Map 19 UV Speed in 1:50

Doom 2 Reloaded
UV Speed
Map 31 in 0:07

Icarus: Alien Vanguard
UV Tyson
Map 4 in 2:25

Rebirth
NM100S
Map 6 in 0:41

Stone Stratagems
Map 2 UV Max in 1:07
Map 31 UV Max in 1:56

Twilight Zone 2
Map 1 UV Max in 1:23
Map 32 UV Max in 0:35

Thissuxx
Pacifist
Map 3 in 0:01

Twilight Zone
UV Max
Map 30 in 1:28

revmisc2.zip

Revved said:
Clearing out more of my backlog from this year...

Wow, an excellent Tyson here... and a quick glance at DSDA shows it's the only Icarus Tyson after Gusta's MAP32! I should take care of it...
But... are you sure you zipped the correct .lmp in the dd31 speed? The tally screen shows 8 seconds.

vdgg said:

are you sure you zipped the correct .lmp in the dd31 speed? The tally screen shows 8 seconds.

Yeah..I completely forgot that it wasn't the correct time. Didn't even realize that until you pointed it out. A few minutes ago, I updated the zip and sent it to Andy, so that when he updates the DSDA, hopefully it'll show the correct zip instead of the other one. Thanks for pointing out, vdgg.

Malinku said:

Here is a UV max Demo of my X-Mas E1 map
done in 3:08

done in prboom 2.5.0

Yay, someone still uses trunk! Thanks Malinku, my life is not completely pointless :-)

Also here are three demos for your excellent little speedmap:

http://rjy.org.uk/stuff/e1cm-203.zip - 2:03 UV-max
http://rjy.org.uk/stuff/e1cm-007.zip - 0:07 UV-speed/pacifist (also contains an 0:08)

I will update the text files therein with a proper canonical URL once the map ends up in /idgames. If Mr. Olivera is reading this he may like to hold off putting these files on the DSDA until that happens. On the other hand, he may not, since he hosts copies of the wads as well anyway. Shrug, I'll leave it up to his discretion.

Recorded 3 NM demos for WADS OF THE DAMNED: PART ONE: BLOODY DREAMS (there are three maps in the zip) back in the end of April and forgot to post them. Since then, I didn't play Doom at all :) Of course, I will soon, but there are still quite a few demos to watch, I need to catch up :P Demos attached.

Grazza said a couple of months ago:
Mini-level megawad by Wim Vanrie: Map05 UV Speed in 0:20

Featuring a wobble-based death slide.

I used the same death slide when doing a NM run for this map (see this post), though I approached it a bit differently - just tried to bump into the bars. As I said in the textfile, this slide is much easier in Boom, you can just press a sargeant to the bars and wait for him to kill you.

Oh, and nice glide in MAP14, I actually tried it, but with no success.

dm2damnm.zip

Donce said:

I used the same death slide when doing a NM run for this map

Very careless of me to miss that there were earlier demos on this wad. Sorry about that. My map05 run should just be deleted, as I don't see any point releasing demos that don't improve on existing runs or introduce some sort of new idea.

Grazza said:

But the one by Kimo Xvirus was faster, and the idea was anticipated by your demo.

Oh, I somehow missed Kimo's demo, now I see :)

Anyway, decided to check how rusty I got and recorded a couple of NMs in Cobra 11. This wad has four maps, but one of them does not run in Boom (which is the intended port for this wad) because of texture error, so I recorded the other three. Last map was very short, so I only count the first two. They both feature (usual) tricks to shorten the way to the exit. Zip attached.

cobranm.zip

Another NM, AvantGarden by Jow in 2:55. This could easily have been NM100S, if I made a sidestep near the shotgun, but I did not need that medikit. Thought it would be quite hard, but turned out to be easier than expected. This time, I didn't lose any health at all in the spectre corridor, which was quite surprising.

av_nm255.zip

For "recording demos on excellent old WADs which suffer from little demo activity", I also recommend trying another undeservedly little-known mapset, Dark Covenant by Keith Phipps. These grand-scaled, powerfully designed levels are a true gift for fans of the grim industrial atmosphere (including of course the natives of Donbass, like me). And while the architecture is somewhat crude and old-fashioned, it's done with true talent and taste. For example, MAP03 is so spectacular that it makes many other great city maps look puny. Dark Covenant even inspired Erik Alm for Scythe's fantastic second episode.

The current UV Max records for this WAD are not-too-fast, old-school demos, easily beatable for you.

Also worth mentioning is another of Keith's levels, Demon Plague. It's also a big, impressive level with fun heavy action, similar to some MM2 maps in a few ways.

Yesterday I played a nice map, Cybie, Our Friend by Eye del Cul. I really liked everything about it, except the music :) so I put some effort in a Nightmare run. This is 4th exit in 1:29, please refer to the textfile for more details.

UV Max anyone? I think this map deserves it, but I'm too lazy to work out a good route.

cb_nm129.zip

Donce said:

I really liked everything about it, except the music :)

i had the music really loud and had to laugh, it was perfect for the epic ending. :)

holy hell map 5 close fail uvmax (had to do two posts because the file size was too big to put in the same zip as the others). I might have even posted these before, but most likely in expired file hosting links:

holyhell-map5-closefail.zip