Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Archi

Monsters fall from 3dmidtex lines

I have some problems with 3dmidtexs on my map. It's necessary to walk monsters on them and under them. So, I found solution by marking border lines with flag "Block monsters", but monsters can't pass under this lines.
Eternity version is 3.39.20.
Here is example: http://archi.my1.ru/temp/3dmidfall.wad

Btw, some questions.
What about scripting? If Small is deprecated, can I use FraggleScript?
What about 3d floors, linked portals? Will it or not?
What about height of spawning things? And identifying them by argument like tid from zdoom.

Archi said:

What about scripting? If Small is deprecated, can I use FraggleScript?

FraggleScript has been entirely removed from the engine, so no, you can't use it.

Eternity's scripting solution is something called Aeon, based on javascript. It's for the future; let's hope it won't take as long as ZDoom's "DoomScript".

Archi said:

What about 3d floors, linked portals? Will it or not?

3D floors: no.
Linked portals: yes.

Archi said:

What about height of spawning things? And identifying them by argument like tid from zdoom.

Not possible in the Doom map format. You'll have to wait for Eternity to officially support the Hexen map format and/or UDMF.

Gez said:

3D floors: no.

Bad news. With linked portals it may be powerful. And also, Legacy has 3d floors.

Gez said:

Not possible in the Doom map format. You'll have to wait for Eternity to officially support the Hexen map format and/or UDMF.

Bad news too. Forced to wait for better times.

Archi said:

So, I found solution by marking border lines with flag "Block monsters", but monsters can't pass under this lines.

Are you sure? Try it. Lines which have both "block monsters" and "3d middle texture" only block monsters that try to step on them, not those walking below them. It's an exception to the general 'block all monsters' rule.

Tested again. Yes, it really works. Thank you!

Btw, new question. Mapinfo works or no? Or may be i do something wrong.
Here it is.

[START]
levelname = Start
creator = Archi
music = DPSS

Edit:
Understood where problem was. No more questions yet. ;)

Height of spawning objects *can* be specified, via use of ExtraData - ExtraData is/was a stopgap solution on the way to UDMF and is one of the things that inspired its creation. Support for ExtraData will be continued even after UDMF is supported, although it is unlikely that new features will continue to be added to it unless they happen very naturally (ie. new bitflags or specials). ExtraData is not very convenient compared to UDMF or Hexen format, but it works.

However I should warn you that spawning objects above 3DMidTex at level start may not work; you may find they've fallen to the ground. I haven't tested it personally, but I believe that monsters have to step onto a 3DMidTex line of their own accord, or through ordinary physics interactions, before it will actually hold them up. All I can say is try it and see what happens.

Archi said:

What about 3d floors, linked portals?

There aren't 3d floors in Eternity, but linked portals do work. However, last time I tried mapping them, they weren't finished: hitscans, sights and other tracers were blocked (whereas objects not), and any object could telefrag any object (including your own plasma on you). I guess the intended use for linked portals is multilayer mapping, where several layers of the map are mounted on each other. However, you can also use linked portals to defy physical reality. For example if by your mapping you'd like to advance forward, but are blocked by another room behind the wall, you can use linked portals to build another room anyway, even if it shares coordinates with the old one.

printz, can you post example? So, may be I can't understand some things, but if I create a linked portal, it is not workable.