Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64 EX 2.0a (Feedback Build) - Updated 3-12-11

Just thought I'd pop in and do some testing. I tried recreating the bug Akira was talking about, using the latest zip you linked. Both the steps he listed did indeed make the game crash. Here is the end of the console log when recreating using Repro 1:

********* ERROR *********
P_UnArchiveMobjs: Mobj read is inconsistent
file offset: 4232
mobj count: 108
And when using Repro 2:
mobj count: 83
Here is the entire log. I am running this using Windows 7 32-bit.

EDIT:

Just in case you might need them, here are the main components of my PC:

OS - Win7 32-bit
CPU - AMD Phenom II x3 (Unlocked to x4) 2.8GHz
GPU - XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB
RAM - 4GB Corsair XMS2 400MHz

Kaiser said:

Just for the hell of it, anyone running an XP machine try to repro this?

I'm running an XP machine. I have had no trouble with saving or loading at all and am unable to reproduce the crashes.

EDIT: I did however come across the following:
1. Demos are comically out of sync. As in the player just plain goes insane, hopping around and getting shot at. And by demos I mean demo, because it won't cycle past the first one.

2. This: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/steel_ph/stuff/KexCredits.png
I'm pretty sure the credits aren't supposed to have a cyan background like that. :P

footman said:

1. Demos are comically out of sync. As in the player just plain goes insane, hopping around and getting shot at. And by demos I mean demo, because it won't cycle past the first one.

Demos need to be updated. These are from the first 1.4 release build

footman said:

2. This: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/steel_ph/stuff/KexCredits.png
I'm pretty sure the credits aren't supposed to have a cyan background like that. :P

They are cyan. Though it could be an a flaw in the emulators but I checked both emulators and the disassembly which both are indicating to use the cyan (0x00FFFF) color for the cleared background. Can someone verify this on an actual N64?

Kaiser said:

Demos need to be updated. These are from the first 1.4 release build

They are cyan. Though it could be an a flaw in the emulators but I checked both emulators and the disassembly which both are indicating to use the cyan (0x00FFFF) color for the cleared background. Can someone verify this on an actual N64?

I have a copy of the game and an N64 and I've just done so. The background is black on my game.

footman said:

I have a copy of the game and an N64 and I've just done so. The background is black on my game.

Does it do some flashing effect?

I can (re-)confirm the savegame bug with my Windows XP Pro machine (32-bits, Athlon 64 3500+, ATi Radeon X700, 512MB RAM)

The error from MAP01 to Hectic says:

mobj count: 51
The error from Hectic load to MAP01 save says:
mobj count: 92
EDIT #2: I just uploaded the videos, they're half-size (400x300), no sound, using h264 (so, don't believe the AVI extension) and only 10 FPS, but they serve to show the situation: http://ifile.it/b6p83o4. The saves used are here: http://ifile.it/7nh5ier

Heh, seems I'm a tad late to the party.

Using the "A" and "B" saves, I get the same error messages as Whoo. Currently on Windows XP SP3 32-bit.

Kaiser said:

What is up with the file offset always being stuck at 4232?

Hmmmm, what about printing a larger debug output? My experience with Doom source code is small to say the least, so I can't really help you in that battlefront (I'd have to read and read the source).

I'm kind of trying to shoot the air, but could the problem be with something like the mobj list structure not getting updated correctly during load, or something on that part.
Maybe some kind of cleanup before loading could be a part of the fix?

I'm just asking because returning to the Main Menu before loading the other savegame works (I know that returning to Main Menu is like restarting the game, thus, one possible solution (more like a fix) can be found in the Return to Main Menu screen routine).

In example, check this video I just recorded showing how returning to Main Menu doesn't shows any error anymore: http://ifile.it/y0wbrfx

I tested Akira_98's savegame crash too with the latest build; I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. No difference on my end, it crashes in the exact same way.

Mechadon said:

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

I was about to say this looks like a 32-bit issue, but I guess not.

Yet another password issue: Passwords that should give the chainsaw give the plasma gun and 75 cells instead.
The offending password:
B3QV ?G7N W0W1 TJKZ

This is taken from the N64 version and I decided to input it in D64EX. It functions fine in the N64 game.

I went through some of the items listed at the top of the OP to see if they were fixed or not. Here's the ones I checked:

Sound channel overflow
Fixed on my end; tested on MAP32 in the room with the darts where the crash originally occurred for me.
Jittery movement when interpolated stuff is paused
Not fixed. An easy way to test this is to switch to a different weapon. While it's still scrolling on/off the screen, pause the game.
(Map17) Linedefs without masked flag is still rendering masked textures in N64 version but not PC version. Suspect its a bug in N64 version itself and the devs overlooked it.
Fixed!
Intermission screen is displayed as garbage when texture fit is set to 'padding'
I never ran into this bug because I didn't have texture fit set to padded, but I tested it and it looked fine to me. So I guess it's fixed.

I noticed in MAP03 that the Caco's could trip one of the teleporter line actions even though they are supposed to be blocked by a lowered ceiling. I guess it has something to do with the way flying monsters interact with solid objects...but here are some shots: Caco flying into this wall where there's a teleport line, then teleports...and viola!. I'm 95% sure (:P) I had the N64 collision option on at the time. For some reason I seem to recall this happening in the original game...but my memory is waaay too rusty to be reliable.

I knew about the sky getting cut off when you have mouselook enabled. I didn't bother to report it because I figured you knew about it; the original game didn't have mouselook, obviously, so that make sense. It would be pretty cool if that could be addressed at some point. I have a similar issue that I wanted to report: this and this. Again, I'm sure these cases follow under the same deal with the sky textures; they were never meant to be seen in the original game. Just thought I'd bring it to your attention though.

Mechadon said:

I have a similar issue that I wanted to report: this and this. Again, I'm sure these cases follow under the same deal with the sky textures; they were never meant to be seen in the original game. Just thought I'd bring it to your attention though.

Not worth fixing because you weren't meant to look down/up in the n64 original, but basically you would still get the same effect if you WERE able to look in the N64 version. One of the downsides of having the 3D-ish structures.

Kaiser said:

Not worth fixing because you weren't meant to look down/up in the n64 original, but basically you would still get the same effect if you WERE able to look in the N64 version. One of the downsides of having the 3D-ish structures.

Yea, the faux 3D really puts a stranglehold on coop too.

I was about to say this looks like a 32-bit issue, but I guess not.

Actually, if you look back a page, you'd see I actually did a test on Windows 7 64-bit.

That is bizarre. At line 1034 its like it simply stops reading the data from the file and instead returns a bunch of junk to the reader.

That seems to have fixed the problem (though I'll look into it more thoroughly tomorrow). I didn't notice any bugs. As for what I tested:

- Loaded a save from map01 while on map02.
- Loaded a save from map02 while on map01.
- Loaded a save while on the title screen.

Everything seems to work as expected here.

Kaiser said:
Decided to use a different approach in reading the savegame file. It will also verify and check to see if the savegame file is valid in memory.

Oh wow... That's a great fix. Confirmed to work properly in my side also.
By the way, I'm loving the fade-to-black effect after changing map via loading, nice touch!
Also, I can confirm the credits display being fixed from that cyan background.

By the way, can you explain what doomsav7.dsg is used for? Because I ran the engine thru the (badly unsynchronized) demo, and this appeared in stdout:

game saved.
game saved.
game saved.
game saved.
You got the super shotgun!
game saved.
game saved.
game saved.
game saved.
game saved.
game saved.
game saved.
game saved.
game saved.
game saved.
EDIT #1: I think I figured it out by myself. Nevertheless, I would like to get a more official answer.

Demos needs to be updated. Still using the ones from version 1.4.

Sounds like its receiving the input for quicksave hotkeys in the old demo. D64ex will capture all input keys including quicksave and quickload keys when recording demos. Though because the demos are corrupted and old, its spewing out random inputs... including quicksave keys.

Need to confirm that whenever I have the chance to work on it again but either ways I'll have the demos replaced with newer ones.

Also, its suppose to fade out whenever a current game session is done. I just never realized it because it fails to fade out in a N64 emulator. I had to watch some videos on youtube that had gameplay footage on the actual N64 just to see if theres anything that I missed.