Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guiddqd

Plutonia 2 Demos [-complevel 4]

Quaatar and Nevan.

I wanna thank you guys for replacing my old demo of MAP12. It wasn't such a good record and it is quite an irritating map to endure. I haven't gotten around to watching Quaatar's demo, but I think it'll be really good.

Also VDGG thank you too for doing a MAX of MAP18. Your demo gave me ideas on how to get the time even lower and the demo isn't bad. I've noticed that you say your demos are ugly in your text file and I want you to know that I think they're nice.

Glad you're back!
As for p2181146, I think one should use all the rockets in a map with limited rocket ammo, and I just *skipped* FOUR BOXES OF ROCKETS. But p2181103 is not ugly IMO (well, maybe that revenant in a pool of blood was a moment when I lost concetration). I hope you watched it, too, didn't you?

TendaMonsta said:

Quaatar and Nevan.

I wanna thank you guys for replacing my old demo of MAP12. It wasn't such a good record and it is quite an irritating map to endure. I haven't gotten around to watching Quaatar's demo, but I think it'll be really good.

Also VDGG thank you too for doing a MAX of MAP18. Your demo gave me ideas on how to get the time even lower and the demo isn't bad. I've noticed that you say your demos are ugly in your text file and I want you to know that I think they're nice.

Thanks for the compliments, but my demo is garbage, so don't bother. Most of my shit is sloppy but relatively efficient, and honestly, I'd rather watch a clean and smooth demo that's slower than a sloppy but faster demo. I think you can definitely improve upon the time though, if you make a few route changes. :)

Vdgg is one of the best keyboarders around, and I think if he just incorporates the 180 degree turn more (like gggmork), he'll get even better. :)

episode 1 speedrun in 8:44

red's ep runs inspired me to record something as well. damn, this was hard.
please skip map09. :(

0844p2e1.zip

Whoa, this was damn fast! I missed completely Red XIII's runs, so it's the first non-TAS movie I watch. Frankly, i didn't watch MAP07 UV Speeds either (or maybe I just forgot their content), because I was going to ask you what the hell happens on MAP07? At about 4:42 of the run... it looked like an out-of-sync for me first, then I read your txt, so I cancel my question :)

vdgg said:

because I was going to ask you what the hell happens on MAP07?

i asked this question myself when red came with a speedrun time nearly equaling the one from my tas movie. :) it's just auto-aiming up, letting some pellets miss the spider and hit the secret button instead. the trick might not be as 'shocking' as the recent void runs or the map30 tyson, but the out of the box thinking behind it fascinates me far more.

dew said:

episode 1 speedrun in 8:44

red's ep runs inspired me to record something as well. damn, this was hard.
please skip map09. :(

Sick

Oha, very nice stuff! Holy sh*t, that's kind of a comeback, dew :)

In your episode demo one can see so wonderfully how hard the momentum capture of speedrunning really is. Especially the inaccuracies make it all better and much more interesting, because they are so typically human. So I advise all specatators NOT to follow dew's own commendation in bypassing map09 but rather watch, enjoy and cry mercy with him and his challenge there (like I did with pleasure)!

Whoever criticize this should do it better first. It's just great, dew .. go on with this.

Dum dum dum...back with another sloppy optimization effort, so nothing special here. Took a break from my seemingly futile efforts on CC MAP29, and recorded this for a change of pace...first exit in under 20 minutes, after about two weeks of sporadic attempts. This is for you, Tenda. :) Back to increasing my threshold of pain on CC...

Hud used, but without the monster counter this time. :)

MAP12 UV-MAX in 3:51

p212-351.zip

Qaatar said:
MAP12 UV-MAX in 3:51

Congratulations on such a record! You got much stronger after downloading the mouse acceleration fix, and keep progressing. Your demos get more and more masterful/optimized.

I think that with your current skills you could push the Vrack2 time below 19 minutes at least (with enough motivation, planning and practice, of course).

hello and welcome. great demos!
one tip: try to follow a naming convention, your files should be labeled p230s110 and p232-116. it's not obligatory, but it's a standard. also you accidentally added a shortcut file instead of a textfile for the map32 uv-speed, please reupload. :)

crud. sorry dew, here is a better file!

don't know how to name them like that myself so which is why i simply name them accordingly. though it is a standard, it would help greatly if i knew how to give correct names as such.

pretty shaken up already posting from a few...mishaps with other posts. had some helled ALREADY from starting new threads. that sure raised my confidence haha >_<

p232-uvnm.zip

SonidoSpeed said:

it would help greatly if i knew how to give correct names as such

It's simple enough. All standard demo-names have eight characters. For Plutonia 2:

The first two characters are p2. This indicates that the demo is for Plutonia 2.

The second two characters are the map number.

The next four characters are available for the time, in minutes and seconds. If the demo is less than ten minutes long (as yours are), then that requires just three characters. This leaves the fifth character available to give some indication about the category.
- = Max or Speed
n = Nightmare
p = Pacifist
s = Nightmare with 100% Secrets
r = Respawn
f = Fast
t = Tyson
o = Nomonsters

That explains the names dew supplied for your demos.
p230s110 = p2 + 30 + s + 110 = Plutonia 2, Map 30, Nightmare with 100% Secrets in 1 minute and 10 seconds
p232-116 = p2 + 32 + "-" + 116 = Plutonia 2, Map 32, UV Speed or Max in 1 minute and 16 seconds

Note that anyone familiar with the naming convention would be able to tell from the file name at least roughly what the demo is, and any demo loading tools should also recognize which wads need to be loaded.

For other Doom2 wads, there is a different two-letter code for the wad (e.g. ic = icarus, h2 = Hell Revealed 2), and for some of the Compet-n wads, there is a special two-letter code for particular categories on the wad (e.g. hn = Hell Revealed Nightmare; ns = Doom2 Nightmare with 100% Secrets).

For single-level wads, it is normal just to use the first four letters of the wad name, as there is no need to indicate the level number.

For Ultimate Doom and Ultimate Doom pwads, the first four letters are used a little differently, with the 2nd and 4th digits used for the episode and map number, and the 1st and 3rd used to indicate the wad (and category in some cases).

You don't need to know all the ins-and-outs, but hopefully that explains the main ideas.

Also, MAP29 is still undone in the UV Max category, right?

I'm thinking of trying it since even though I have only barely looked at it, I love its design. For the record, MAP29 was one of my favorite maps in the original Plutonia.

Breaking Red's stranglehold for this map. :)

PRCP's release today reminded me of this map for some reason, so here's a max from me. First exit, and route credit to Red. Too lazy (el oh el) to try for under 9 minutes, so this'll have to do for now.

p211-902.zip

AconyX1 said:

Plutonia2 MAP33 "Chocolate" - UV-Max 11:25

Nice, solid max run. But I think you can do it faster and easier (maybe even in under 10 minutes) if you save shells for the cyberdemon by distributing these last rockets on other enemies before and after him (such as hellknights and cacos). Do you want to try it?

SAV88 said:

Nice, solid max run. But I think you can do it faster and easier (maybe even in under 10 minutes) if you save shells for the cyberdemon by distributing these last rockets on other enemies before and after him (such as hellknights and cacos). Do you want to try it?

Mmh.. I guess I would try it. :)

Edit: So far I've gotten 10:30, but I'm aiming for under 10 minutes, it will be hard, though.