Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Icarus rocks. Possibly my all-time favorite mapset.

Beat Perdition's Gate. Like I assumed, it didn't take long. Only Map 27 seemed to pose significant trouble. Map 30 was also very clever.

On the topic of Icarus and Perdition's Gate, does anyone have any recommendations for other space travel-themed MegaWADs? I tend to really enjoy those. I've played Daedalus, too, which was a little weird, but didn't make me as grumpy as other people seemed to get about it.

Now I'm working on doing UV runs of The Master Levels. I knew Black Tower was hard, but it seems even harder than I remember. It also abuses darkness a lot in order to score cheap hits, which sucks. I might have to do some other levels and just come back to that one later.

I remember beating Perdition's Gate with the Scoredoom Add-on pack. Honestly, I had no idea that even non-HR-styled megawads would be significantly harder with the add-on pack monsters. (One particular example, having to deal with the baron-level replacements, including a terminator, in the tight corridors of map18)

Megamur said:

On the topic of Icarus and Perdition's Gate, does anyone have any recommendations for other space travel-themed MegaWADs?

Have you played Epic 2?

Epic 2? I actually remember playing all the way through that megawad myself, though I found the space-themed levels to be quite fun. (I enjoyed the last several maps more, though)

A similar space-themed level that I recall was Map31 in Whispers of Satan. (I beat that entire megawad on No-Infighting and Hardcore mode by the way... and even for a non-slaughter megawad it was tough.)

Megamur said:

Icarus rocks. Possibly my all-time favorite mapset.

On the topic of Icarus and Perdition's Gate, does anyone have any recommendations for other space travel-themed MegaWADs? I tend to really enjoy those. I've played Daedalus, too, which was a little weird, but didn't make me as grumpy as other people seemed to get about it.

Icarus is right up there with the best. Definetely! :)

I'm working on a mapset with a lot of Icarus inspired levels, although you'll have to wait until next year to play it. :/

Edit: Oh wait I forget, there's two mapsets for Ultimate DooM that have a space travel theme. Base Ganymede E1 + E2. Both are pretty good episodes.

BGE1
http://doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15917

BGE2
http://doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16256

Speaking of Icarus, I probably will take on that one next for my scoredoom runs. (I REALLY need a break from all those super-tough megawads anyway.)

Megamur said:

Beat Perdition's Gate. Like I assumed, it didn't take long. Only Map 27 seemed to pose significant trouble. Map 30 was also very clever.

Honestly, looking at my notes I didn't have any problem with MAP27. MAP08 and MAP11 were the kickers for being cramped and crowded/far too open with hitscanners, at least working from PS.

Hell to Pay is a nice followup. I'm finding it's more difficult than Perdition's Gate. Most of the prerendered monsters are ugly as sin but it hardly detracts from the charm. The opening maps have an installation / military base feel, moving to a middle sequence on a space ship with faux decks. There's a cargo level, an engine room level, a crew quarters level, culminating in a showdown with the demonic captain and a mindblowing post-battle experience (at least, for my fragile little mind).

You travel to Io and soldier through some more post-apocalyptic levels before arriving in the final episode, on "Planet Hell." It's very reminiscent of the third episode of Perdition's Gate, and I understand that PG's final third was where the H2P team helped them out. They're a bit longer, but with far more hair-pulling than anything the Mustaines threw at me.

MAP31 and MAP32 aren't hidden in H2P, they just take place between MAP15 and MAP16. MAP31 was a chore, but MAP32 has one of the cooler gimmicks I've seen in my short .WAD experience.

In other words, though it's been kicking my ass, I recommend it, especially if you're looking for space-travel themed megaWADs.

Finished Icarus, now blasting my way through Momento Mori and on Map11 now, so far Map09 is my favorite, IMO it is THE definitive base map of all time, has tough and fast paced gameplay, vicious traps and a very well thought out layout with abstract architecture which is also a must for base maps. :) I actually forgot how awesome these all maps play. Back to playing Momento Mori I guess.

Go map u fuk.

Started on Plutonia Revisited the other day, but its a bit too hectic and brutal for me right now. I`m not in that mood atm. Def gonna play some Icarus again soon!

I'm playing the begining of the end(part 1 and 2)an excellent and hard pwad for ultimate doom, but with few demo activity.
I also play sunder from time to time.

Sunder is the creation of Satan =O too hardcore, it can't be human creation =O

BTW it's not serious =) I like it

didierbertrand said:

I'm playing the begining of the end(part 1 and 2)an excellent and hard pwad for ultimate doom, but with few demo activity.
I also play sunder from time to time.

If you make some demos let me know :)

Finished Hell to Pay. Pretty much everything I said before applies. As a whole, the levels are usually a bit longer than the ones in Perdition's Gate, but there's a string (MAP23-MAP27) of ~30 monster maps. It's okay by me because they play out like a series of short challenges (which, storywise, they are). Honestly it feels just like the third episode of PG, but slightly more difficult. The final level is pretty cool and, like Perditon's Gate, bucks the traditional demon spitter fight, though there's a suitable climax. The biggest problem I had was, once the demon spitter wakes up, it spawns shit where you typically teleport to as a function of the level progression (telefrag), so a little sloppy/frustrating there. Otherwise, some nice challenges. I enjoyed it, for being ever so slightly not Doom.

Now on to Obituary, and blessed Rocket Troopers.

Memfis said:

Have you played Epic 2?

No, I have not, and I'm on the fence about it. I love DOOM with all my heart and soul, but I'm not actually the most proficient player, and the comparisons people draw between Epic 2 and Plutonia and/or Hell Revealed put me off a bit.

DeathevokatioN said:

Icarus is right up there with the best. Definetely! :)

I'm working on a mapset with a lot of Icarus inspired levels, although you'll have to wait until next year to play it. :/

That's excellent! ...About the levels, I mean. Not having to wait. I always wanted to see an Icarus sequel, but actually done in the style of the original. Again, not knocking Daedalus, but while it retained certain elements (exploring a ship, eventually going planetside), it had notably more puzzle emphasis, and just didn't seem to have as much variety in level design. This is probably largely due to having to retain a cohesive flow from area to area, and because there were no simulation levels. A real "Icarus 2" would be very neat.

Edit: Oh wait I forget, there's two mapsets for Ultimate DooM that have a space travel theme. Base Ganymede E1 + E2. Both are pretty good episodes.

Trying out E1 now. I kinda like it. Different than your typical DOOM 1 mapset. The enemy count is more in line with DOOM II, and the health/ammo balance is really good--you're not exactly hurting for supplies all the time, but you're never exactly stocked to the brim either. It's also fun to finally play an E1 set that isn't a bunch of mappers going "lolz lets do knee-deep in teh dead again!" (No offense, guys, but I think DOOM 1 can still be good for things other than remakes.)

It's a bit harder than your usual DOOM 1 set, though. I'm up to E1M5 now, and they're just throwing everything at you. And the whole set has possibly the most annoying Imp snipers I've ever encountered, always seemingly placed just far/high enough away to circumvent DOOM's auto-aim.

Megamur said:

I'm not actually the most proficient player, and the comparisons people draw between Epic 2 and Plutonia and/or Hell Revealed put me off a bit.

Don't let that put you off experiencing and enjoying these three wonderful wads. Use -skill 2! That's what it's there for.

I'd also very much like to see a wad in the style of Icarus. (But don't name it Icarus 2, of course.)

Right now, I decided to call off Icarus and actually try to beat Neodoom (the one megawad with the stupidly-strong vixens) from start to finish in Scoredoom. (For some reason, it's on the leaderboards)

You may call me an utter masochist now.

Grazza said:

(But don't name it Icarus 2, of course.)

Don't worry, with regards to naming wads I also think it's lame and pretentious to try ride off someone elses past successes. Plus, not naming it Icarus 2 will give me more freedom to use my own style and be able to draw inspiration from other 90's wads that I enjoy as well.

Just make FDA uv-fast movie attempt for WADPAK1A. Reached for e1m8 without deaths and then died stupidly in lava hollow. Demo length is almost hour and a half )

Quite good compilation for 94' I should say. At least for E1.

gun_psycho said:

Right now, I decided to call off Icarus and actually try to beat Neodoom (the one megawad with the stupidly-strong vixens) from start to finish in Scoredoom. (For some reason, it's on the leaderboards)

You may call me an utter masochist now.

Didn't they nerf the Vixens in later versions? Regardless which version is recognized by ScoreDoom, I find it appropriate to play the latest official version by the author.

plutonia 2 and right now the plutonia revisited public test.

Some 1994\95 levels, and more Doom 2. I recommend UNDERSEA and SKYCITY, both pretty good.

I'm doing fine without the SSG so far, the shotgun's higher ROF causes flinching more often, so Mancubi and Arachnotrons aren't a problem. It's giving me some Revenant dodging practice too :P

BTW, I just finished Stronghold: On the Edge of Chaos after 1-2 weeks. It was really EPIC and full of excitement.

However, IMO it'S unplayable on normal difficulty level due to the hardness. I finished on the easiest dif.-level