Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Marswar demos [-complevel 2]

DSDA page aka marsw301 // 301

old marswar

old Grazza note:

Spoiler

Note by Grazza (Demos forum moderator): This is the thread to post demos on Marswar - either the original version as used for the Marswar demo-pack, or the new version 3. It is suggested to use version 3 for any new demos, unless there is some specific reason why you want to record on the old version.

These maps are vanilla-compatible, so please record with Doom2.exe, Doom2-plus, Chocolate-Doom or Prboom-plus with -complevel 2. It is recommended to use Prboom-plus with Extended Demo Format enabled, as this will ensure the demo plays back with the correct version of Marswar.

-------------------------------------

Marswar V2.0
MAP23 UV-Max in 0:37

mw230037.zip

Edited by Maribo

vdgg said:

Hi Memphis, you noticed the spectre that survived in your 5:29? Glad you improved it with REAL 100% kills :)

vdgg: No, I didn't notice him. I think it was my first UV-Max demo on the map with arch-vile. I should pay attention to them from now on...

Here is more :)

Marswar V2.0
MAP24 UV-Max in 5:03

mw240503.zip

That's a good question... Maybe I just wanted to show off? Like I was saying to the viewers of 2.0's DSDA page "look, I can beat 2003 demos, I'm so cool!"? I'm so pathetic... I sure will use 3.01 from now on.

Memfis said:

MAP23 UV-Max in 0:33

Nice time! And funny close firing to the bull at the end :)

Maybe I just wanted to show off? Like I was saying to the viewers of 2.0's DSDA page "look, I can beat 2003 demos, I'm so cool!"?

Try to beat Method's m01 max, then.

This tasteful half-forgotten wad is getting a good attention from a promising UV Max speedrunner. And I agree with him that it deserves a separate topic.

Hehe, yeah, Method's demos are all of superb quality. Even if I'll learn SR50, there is still no guarantee that I'll beat his time in the near future.

MARSWAR v3.01
MAP22 UV-Max in 5:02
Now the "conversion" of my 2.0 demos to 3.01 is over. :)

SAV88, thanks! "Tasteful" is the right word. I love how some designs look surreal and half seriously, but in a good way.

mw22-502.zip

MethodMan produces demos of rather different quality. Some are excellent from beginning to end, some others are trivially improvable. His great MAP01 run can be challenging to beat, but I don't think it would be too tough for you to push level 18 below 5 minutes, for instance. Method's 5:06 demo for it contains some missed shots, some delayed and/or inefficient BFG blasts (like the one wasted on 3 imps), and also a number of unnecessary weapon switchings in the first minute, where it's faster and easier to simply use the SSG :-)

Hitherto said:

wasn't that hard. :) in one of my attempts the zombiemen actually infighted and the survivor was waiting along the route. i buried the run in panicked confusion, but relying on such luck and shooting the exit guy through the window... 3 secs to optimum?

mw01-045.zip

Given the renewed interest in Marswar, here's one I did back when we made the demopack that I had never released (as it wasn't "my" map for Max, and I recorded it mainly as preparation for a UV -fast). Obviously it's on Marswar version 2.

Map09 UV Max in 5:58

mw09-558.zip

Just a lousy second exit -fast run on Marswar 3.0 map04 with a safe and slow route. I might try to improve it later, but I'm posting it here anyway.

There should propably be a completely new entry in DSDA for the newer version of the wad as there seem to be slight changes to gameplay in the wad, making the runs between different versions non comparable.

Glboom 2.5.0.8, HUD used.

Oh, and the time is 7:59

EDIT: by the way, can't I bind right mouse button as use key in prboom? I hate using space as use key and it just keeps binding it so that i have to double click the button if I try to set it so in the options.

mf04-759.zip

SAV88 said:

I don't think it would be too tough for you to push level 18 below 5 minutes, for instance. Method's 5:06 demo for it contains some missed shots, some delayed and/or inefficient BFG blasts (like the one wasted on 3 imps), and also a number of unnecessary weapon switchings in the first minute, where it's faster and easier to simply use the SSG :-)

Yeah, that wasn't hard at all and still possible to improve by ~30 seconds.

MARSWAR v3.01
MAP18 UV-Max in 4:00

mw18-400.zip

MARSWAR v3.01
map04 UV-Fast - 4:23

Pretty funny map for fast. Thanks DooMer 4ever 4 motivation.

Grazza, may I ask you for creating a separate thread called something like "New Marswar demos" and spliting into all recent Marswar demos posts, including 2.0 ones?

mw04f423.zip

Hitherto said:

map04 UV-Fast - 4:23

Nice!

I did UV speed on same map, time is 0:49. Under 40 should be possible, but I can't do better now playing with my overheating laptop, with keyboard. And, yay, my first trick discovered in a map for the first time (red key grab)!

Anyone up for nm on this map?

mw04-049.zip

DooMer 4ever said:

Anyone up for nm on this map?

here you go, marswar3.01 map04 nm speed in 0:43.

cool keygrab! i stole your route shamelessly for the nm run, but i have an improvement for uv-speed. i got 45s literally on my first recorded attempt even after botching the grab colossaly and surprisingly it's nearly impossible to die on this route. it could go deep under 40s, but i'll leave that to you. :)

mw04dew.zip

Awesome work with the nm. And, yeah, that new route should definitely be quicker for UV but I'm getting sick of getting that key grap to work fast so I don't think I will improve this demo I recorded before watching yours with the improved route. So, anyone, feel free to do it :)

mw04-040.zip

I thought why not record some more demos on map04 when I had learned the map quite well, which I find the most frustrating part in recording demos. So here's my first ever tyson demo.

I really liked playing this map on tyson by the way. Difficulty was just right for me now.

mw04t926.zip

Tyson+ sounds like Tyson with more possibilities. I think "Strict Tyson" fits better for fist-only demos. And it should allow shooting at GR switches with pistol.