Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TendaMonsta

Stupid Feature Requests or just Ideas

I recently just got Eternity again and I used it and I really liked it. I also thought of some stupid feature requests/Ideas I'd like to share with the community or anyone who reads this thread.

Feature Request:

Demo Recording Option - Some type of complevel thing (I know -vanilla exists) similar to Prboom-plus's. This would seem convenient for someone who would like to either record for vanilla wads, boom wads, or Eternity wads.

Multiplayer - This would actually be interesting. Eternity plus multiplayer equals classic newish fun. Some type of 4 player setup that would be similar to the way chocolate-setup.exe does multiplayer.

ACS scripting (Or some type of advanced scripting) - Although this port has a lot of stuff already that others doesn't, it would just be interesting to see a "vanilla-like" port being able to dish out a few ACS scripts or some type of scripting for Eternity mappers.

This is stupid I know, but can't I dream?

Eternity has had advanced scripting systems before, and another one is on the way, but everything is kind of in a state of flux right now so we'll have to be patient.

That was the nice way of putting it, by the way. The cynical way is as follows:

Eternity's developers seemingly have a fetish for announcing the inclusion of interesting new features and then leaving them forever half-implemented, presumably to torture the lingering few who still have hope for this port.

Next, we have a rebuttal of the above by a slightly peeved apologist:

Quasar and SoM are coding in their leisure hours on a project that's available for free, and they don't owe you anything. In fact, you should be grateful that they're developing Eternity at all, in amidst all of the other things they're working on, many of which also have real value to this community. Yet, here you are, accusing them of deliberate ill will. Where do you get off?

Now, a rambling, wounded statement from a mapping noob with a sense of entitlement:

yeah but... i've been waiting for stuff like portals and scripting and heretic support to be finished for sooooo long because i've got the coolest idea for a mod ever! i dont wanna give anything away but it'll have a gigantic castle built with like thirty layers of portals all on top of each other and the final battle is going to have like 50 maulotaurs but it's okay because one of the 20 new weaposn is going to be a SUPER BFG! :DD qausar needs to finish eternity SOON because I wanna start making this soon and if he doesn't finish it nobody's ever gonna get to play my mod >:((

Finally, a monkey:

EEE! EEE!

I feel your pain, I really do :P I want to spend more time developing EE and I wish I could quit being such a lazy sod :P

As for the original post:

• Demo Recording Option - Some type of complevel thing (I know -vanilla exists) similar to Prboom-plus's. This would seem convenient for someone who would like to either record for vanilla wads, boom wads, or Eternity wads.
  • Multiplayer - This would actually be interesting. Eternity plus multiplayer equals classic newish fun. Some type of 4 player setup that would be similar to the way chocolate-setup.exe does multiplayer.
  • ACS scripting (Or some type of advanced scripting) - Although this port has a lot of stuff already that others doesn't, it would just be interesting to see a "vanilla-like" port being able to dish out a few ACS scripts or some type of scripting for Eternity mappers.
The first is quite doable and in fact you're not the first to suggest it. At the least, a "-boom" option to match vanilla, for recording 202 demos that would play back in PrBoom-Plus as well, is on my mind. Supporting a general complevel setting is a lot more complicated - I can't see that happening too soon but I won't rule it out entirely.

The second, EE has multiplayer but it's not that great. Probably only reliably playable over a LAN, and you need to avoid running a few console commands that don't sync up properly. The problem with this is that I know tragically very little about networking. It's the area of computer science that I am least experienced with.

ACS is partway implemented in EE - it will necessarily have to be finished as part of the upcoming thrust to implement UDMF and finish Heretic and Hexen support. I know I've been promising that shit forever but we really are closer to it right now than ever. I just gotta get off my ass (AND clear my calendar of a few other things in the way right now).