Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KennyJC

Starting a project - question

I've only started speed running since tonight :)

I managed to get 57s on Map01 uvmax after about an hour of trying, and I figured I'd want to do the same with Map02 after I get a good time on Map01 except that I'd want to make them seemless so my best map01 time and best map02 time (and so on..) are on the same lmp with the items and health stats carrying over to the next map.

I saw on prboom-plus that you can press Q to take-over the demo and continue recording, but I'm wondering if you guys could think of a faster way to do it (since I will have lots of failed attempts).

On a side note, I'm wondering why I haven't see such a project done by the community before? It's been done many times with Quake. But with Doom it's either a single run through all maps or starting with the pistol each map.

The reason why you don't get multi-author movie runs for Doom like you do with Quake is that in Doom, the demos need to be recorded one after the other, as the random number carries over from one segment to the next. If it doesn't match, the demo desyncs.

In Quake demos, you can record them in any order, and as long as the stats are OK (e.g. one segment ends with enough health, ammo, etc., for the next segment), you can sew them together.

If you really do want to record segmented demos without using prboom+'s rerecording method, then you could take a look at TASMBF. But unless the demo is very long, then rerecording is easier. Andrey Budko has made available the batch file he used for quickly restarting.

Note also that any demo using rerecording (or any form of segmented recording) will be viewed as a TAS demo. I'd suggest simply recording single-map non-TAS demos until you have more experience, TBH.

For doing the recording in Boom I can't find a way to get the re-recording to work. Pressing "q" to takeover a demo doesn't seem to do anything.

I tried saving the game at the start of map02 which created a stand-alone demo after you start with -recordfrom with the health+ammo carried over from map01 but it turns out you can't merge lmps?
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/7552-lmp-merging-issue

I haven't tried TASMBF yet, I wanted to try out the prboom+ way first. And the reason I don't really wanna do uvmax on single maps is because I wanna learn the playstyle you need when attempting a single segment runthrough of 30uvmax and maybe you have to do them differently if starting with a pistol each map.

About multi-author movies: if they have to be done one after the other, I didn't think that would stop such a project from happening? So maybe you could see who gets the fastest uvmax time on map01 and give 2 weeks or so to see who can get the fastest on map02?

KennyJC said:

About multi-author movies: if they have to be done one after the other, I didn't think that would stop such a project from happening? So maybe you could see who gets the fastest uvmax time on map01 and give 2 weeks or so to see who can get the fastest on map02?

That's how Doom2 Done Quick and Doom Done Quicker were recorded, so it's certainly a feasible project. Nobody's ever tried it for a UV-Max movie though that I know of.

Nobody can tell me the mutlisegment recording method in prboom+? I'm at a loss reading the txt files. It says just to press Q but that does nothing.

What TXT files are you reading? It's "-recordfromto", not "-recordfrom". The latter is a broken legacy of prBoom, never worked. Read usage.txt, ignore the prboom-docs ZIP.

Ahh that works. Got 42 sec uvmax on map01!

Gonna go on to map02 unless some others wanna do a multi-author 30uvmax?