Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Looper

Arch-Vile Jump (megawad) demos [-complevel 2]

DSDA page aka avj // avj.wad

Note by Grazza (Demos forum moderator):

This is the thread to post your demos for the megawad Arch-Vile Jump (thread here).

This wad is vanilla-compatible, so it is recommended to record demos in that format, using prboom-plus with -complevel 2, Chocolate-Doom or Doom2.exe itself.

I propose naming demos ajXX-YYY (that is, a map01 demo in 1 minute would be aj01-100.lmp, or map20 Nightmare in fifteen seconds would be aj20n015.lmp, etc.

On with the thread, and Paska's original post:
------------------------------
Arch-Vile Jump (avj.wad)
Map11
UV Speed in 0:10

an11-10.zip

Edited by Maribo

Archvile Jump could do with its own thread I reckon, it seems like a wad made for demo-ing anyway

(Frankly so could NGmvmt1 but it's probably a bit late for that now)

Split off into its own thread, and some welcome text added to the first post. I'd suggest the naming convention ajxx-nnn.lmp, as I don't believe that clashes with anything.

Doom v1.9
Map 01
NM Speed
Time: 0:13

I'm very happy with this run even if it's on NM :)

Btw, why only me recording demos on this cool wad? It's not luck based on those arch-viles imo, especially on nightmare :)

aj01n013.zip

Hi Paska/Looper,

your speedruns are awesome :D, they are really fast, and I didn't even know the map01 wallrun trick you made :)

nice to see you like the maps

I also read your profile, I am happy that my complainings about your ty30 with legacy changed you to vanilla doom

how can someone hate Cacodemons :O?!

>Btw, why only me recording demos on this cool wad? It's not luck based on those arch-viles imo, especially on nightmare :)

if you check this link: http://doomedsda.us/wad1480.html
you can see Red-XIII already made some speedruns, and he promised me he will do more, and also faster ones :)

I also made speedruns, but I don't want to release them, at least now, maybe in some months

Good Luck with your next speedruns :), I can't wait seeing them ;)

edit: and gratulations to your doom2 map17 run, very impressive

cool that you revived it :D, because I would have done it in the next 2 weeks if you havn't done it before me ;)

to the run: it looks like a pacifist run, the 2nd shot doesn't hit (as far as I can see)

another different important thing:

I will release a patch in the next 2 weeks for map32
because there is a problem by playing it with doom2.exe
the behavior is a bit different at a special place, I hope
nobody tried to pass this lvl with doom2.exe and came that far
(the place is very far, est. time to get there: 1,5 hours if you are good)
you can't pass map32 with doom2.exe, the patch will fix it

everything else will be exactly how it is now, I suppose only to
load the patch if you play map32 with doom2.exe

this problem didn't appear in the beta versions... very weird, it took also quite a while to figure out where the problem is

there will be no difference between prboom without the patch and doom2.exe with the patch (for the player)
only some dummysectors will be changed

I am very sorry for that, I hadn't much time, so I couldn't fix it yet

and yeah... after I died the 3rd or 4th time at this place (so after est. 6-8 hours of playing the map) I saw that there is something not working

edit:

Revved said:

I'M DOING IT WRONG

Map 1 UV Max in 1:25

what are you doing wrong?

the maps are also designed for UV max :)

what you are doing wrong (at least I think so) is the name of the demo
it should differ from the UV speed ones
but I also have no idea how to call them

TO ALL: could somebody post how the demos should be called for e.g. UV max, tyson, pacifist..?

termrork: so you actually have found incompatibility between doom2.exe and prboom? What was it and what prboom version did you use?

And about naming: Revved did it correctly. It's a tradition from COMPET-N times:

- for max / speed
t for tyson
p for pacifist
n for nightmare speed
s for nightmare secrets
r for respawn
f for fast

Memfis said:

termrork: so you actually have found incompatibility between doom2.exe and prboom? What was it and what prboom version did you use?

And about naming: Revved did it correctly. It's a tradition from COMPET-N times:

- for max / speed
t for tyson
p for pacifist
n for nightmare speed
s for nightmare secrets
r for respawn
f for fast

ah ok, thank you for posting it :)

the "problem" in map32 is, that it is very big and doom2.exe has A LOT!! different limitations, which are in prboom or each other sourceport I know, much higher

I had to change a lot in map32 to make it run with doom2.exe
e.g.: during the development of map32 I had to delete about 500 sectors... otherwice there would have been a lot of error messages because of limitations, e.g.:

"No more visplanes!" <- I hate this message **

not sure about the version of prboom, one of the newest... but I think the limits won't be lowered only for compatibility (because who wants this?)

edit: at the special part which does not work will not appear an error message, it is a much more weird problem ;)

termrork said:
"No more visplanes!" <- I hate this message **

If the limits bother you, you're better off testing with Doom2 patched with Andrey's Doom2+ patch instead of unmodified vanilla, as it gives the DOS engine much higher limits on most counts.

myk said:

If the limits bother you, you're better off testing with Doom2 patched with Andrey's Doom2+ patch instead of unmodified vanilla, as it gives the DOS engine much higher limits on most counts.

true... but I put so much time in the map to let it run with doom2.exe that I want to fix this :), I also already did

I only test if everything else works correct now, this will take some days :)

here it is...

I have tested it and hope everything will be ok now, I havn't found any problems

avjp01

as said before, the use of this wad is ONLY to play map32 with doom2.exe

there is no difference (for the player) between doom2.exe avj with avjp01 map32 and prboom-plus avj map32 without avjp01

you can download it here:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-3472200/avjp01.zip.html

or here:

http://www.2shared.com/file/aplyFXIx/avjp01.html

hey Paska/Looper,

congrats to your demos they are extremely fast, I also thought that Red-XIII's 13secs in map14 were optimal...

insane, and it looks that you run those demos in a very short time, sometimes they even look like TAS, I am impressed of your skills

Hats off!

termrork said:

hey Paska/Looper,

congrats to your demos they are extremely fast, I also thought that Red-XIII's 13secs in map14 were optimal...

insane, and it looks that you run those demos in a very short time, sometimes they even look like TAS, I am impressed of your skills

Hats off!

Heh, thanks :) It took about 40 minutes.