Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cire

PWADs with rain effects or forests?

Can anyone recommend any PWADs with rain effects or forests?

I want to say some maps in Armadosia have some rain effects IIRC. As outside effects not anything you can walk in though.

I actually wanted to make one, but I have no idea how convincing rain (that you can actually go out in) could be done.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. :) Urban Brawl: Action Doom 2 also have a nice looking forest, although it's an IWAD (although technically a PWAD I think since it has the PWAD tag.) it's absolutly worth mentioning imo.

Equinox has a nice rain effect on map 03, although it's only seen in the very beginning of the stage, outside the windows (where you can't get out to)

The old Ghostbusters Doom had rain on one map too, acheieved with sprites. Of course the limitations of those days meant that the "rain" was only 128-ish units tall and would "turn around" as you moved. Still in some locations, looking in some directions and when standing still it looked very good.

Today ways to go about it might be to have lots of two-sided walk-through textures with "rain" on them that scroll downwards. Though this would break up your outdoor areas into loads of tiny pieces. There's probably also a way to make a generator that randomly and rapidly shoots drops downards with lots of varied offsets. This would have a bit of a performance hit on older machines though.

Finally some ports may possibly have ways to shoot objects out of flats. Not sure about that though.

Here is an example of a sector-based tree. The entire thing is largely dependent on custom textures, as you'll need a a texture on the outer top wall to blend in with a dark/black sky, and some vines hanging in concentric shapes that match the rest of the "leaves". This one uses only about 40 linedefs, so it's entirely possible to make a small forest using sector-based trees like this. Just don't copy and paste the same tree, though. Actually put some effort into the variety to make it more believable.

While I've experimented with all sorts of tree types, I find that the willow-like trees look the best and are the easiest to make. You can also merge them together to make little clusters of trees, which looks even better than ones that stand alone.