Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

EGA Doom Version 2.0

Wouldn't both these palettes look a lot less eye-rapey if there was no COLORMAP? (ie. everything was in fullbright)

Jimmy91 said:

Wouldn't both these palettes look a lot less eye-rapey if there was no COLORMAP? (ie. everything was in fullbright)

If there is no color map included in these wads, then it defaults to the IWAD color map, which is not fullbright. The EGA one is full bright, but the Game Boy one has some slight transitions.

Been screwing around and made a 256 color version of this ega palette. It doesn't look nearly as good ingame though...

Sodaholic said:

Been screwing around and made a 256 color version of this ega palette. It doesn't look nearly as good ingame though...

Don't you mean VGA? The EGA palette is strictly 16 colors, and those colors are the same across all implementations.

PC Speaker sounded a lot more obnoxious than I remember. I've instead decided to go for NES style with a mixture of blips and downgraded samples. Whipped up a quick proof of concept you can try:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/495t9j

Terribly unoptimized as you can see from the filesize. Lengths need to be trimmed, converted to mono, incosistent volume levels, etc. I'll worry about that later.

I must admit, those actually look fucking awesome in a very retro way. I'll have to play like this sometime.

Sigvatr said:

Don't you mean VGA? The EGA palette is strictly 16 colors, and those colors are the same across all implementations.

Well, yeah, but I meant I made a full color version imitating the colors in the ega palette.

Sigvatyr, your ideas so funny and interesting, including this :D

My pictures:

1. Doomguy's Pimp Ventures 2 - nothing extra

2. Vanguard - like an NES game

3. UAC Ultra - a bit (?!) dark

4. Katamori 1024

The ancient base looks like a real NES game, e.g. Super Mario Bros 1/2/3 or something Megaman from 1 to 6

Atmosphere Complex is so "shiny" :D

Outside area of Logistic Base Alpha is greeny, but nice greeny :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Interesting. I used to play Doom back in the day with PC speaker since I did not own a soundcard. Home computers were still in their youth and a luxury and a soundcard was even more so not to mention expensive.

CeeJay said:

Interesting. I used to play Doom back in the day with PC speaker since I did not own a soundcard. Home computers were still in their youth and a luxury and a soundcard was even more so not to mention expensive.

This is how nerdy I am: The gift I wanted for my 6th birthday was Sound Blaster. I got it, and also a Gravis gamepad.

Although when I look back on it, my family just got me those presents because they wanted to use them too :|

I don't know many people who's mom played Wolfenstein 3D. We were signed up for Apogee's demo disk thing or something and I used to watch her play, but I was too scared. The first time she ever got to Hans Grosse I ran to my room and hid under the bed.

I remember getting a lot of classic DOS game demos in the mail, include Blake Stone, the original two Duke Nukems, and so forth.

I still have all seven Commander Keen games on floppy disks :|

I would never part with them, but I wonder if they have some sort of collectible value.

Is there any way to play in doubled rendering in gzdoom or zdoom? As in doubled 320x240 instead of 640x480. The 16 color palette would go great with the additional pixelness.

GeckoYamori said:

Is there any way to play in doubled rendering in gzdoom or zdoom? As in doubled 320x240 instead of 640x480. The 16 color palette would go great with the additional pixelness.

It used to be in the display options, but it was removed some time ago, unfortunately.

Sigvatr said:

I don't know many people who's mom played Wolfenstein 3D.

Your mom sounds cool. Is she single?

CeeJay said:

I vaguely remember reading (long ago) about a way to build a parallel port DAC "sound card", which would have been much cheaper than Adlib, SB, etc.

Never had a need for it though, since my machines always had some kind of sound chip, even in the 8-bit days.

Edit: This old EGA demo supports the DAC audio:
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=9240
And I'm guessing some old games do too (don't remember any off-hand). Btw, the Mega-EGA demo is very good, but unfortunately doesn't work 100% in DOSBox (hangs in certain spots, even with -machine ega).

its very hard on my eyes however it is amazing! id like to post some screenshots but I don't know any good image hosting site.

GeckoYamori said:

Sodaholic said:

It used to be in the display options, but it was removed some time ago, unfortunately.

I think it might be under a specific screen aspect ratio. If you are looking through the list of "all" ratios, it might not show up.

Although I don't know about what the ZDoom guys have been up to. They have made some pretty terrible decisions in the past, and if this is true, it would be one of them.

hex11 said:
I vaguely remember reading (long ago) about a way to build a parallel port DAC "sound card", which would have been much cheaper than Adlib, SB, etc.

Wasn't the Disney Sound Source (which I think was one of the output devices supported by Wolf3D) essentially a resistor network-based DAC that hooked up to the 8 data lines on the parallel port?

CODOR said:

Wasn't the Disney Sound Source (which I think was one of the output devices supported by Wolf3D) essentially a resistor network-based DAC that hooked up to the 8 data lines on the parallel port?

Yeah! That's it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covox_Speech_Thing

Looks like it's got some pretty decent software/game support too, including a bunch of Sierra stuff, Duke3D, Wolf3D... (not sure about Doom though). Of course that still leaves you without OPL3 muzak, but it's still a very cheap upgrade from the PC speaker (for someone with basic soldering skills).

I gotta say, playing through low-res UAC Ultra with near pitch black color (yet still very much playable) and no music is certainly one of the more unique Doom experiences I've had. Takes me right back to the days of discovering all sorts of old EGA DOS games.

Oh wasted days........this really took me back. Thanks for making it!

Sigvatr said:

Does anyone think this warrants a submission to idgames/newstuff?

Absolutely. I discovered your work now as I discovered a problem/bug with some similar older projects.

If you also define the green palettes (for radsuit/pickups) yours will be tons better (old cgadoom/egadoom left them undefined, and so looked random each time). If you are going to release it, make it better than what's already out ;-)