Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

So, why was it that id changed DOOM 3 for the worst?

AgentSpork said:

For instance, the shotgun looked completely different, and the weapons sounded much more threatening than they did in the final game. They probably softened those up in an attempt to augment the player's sense of hopelessness.

I liked the old shotgun design SO much more than the final. It actually looked like a shotgun instead of...some big, bulky gray thing.

Also, the sound effects were probably altered because Trent Reznor left the project and all of his sound work had to be replaced.

I feel like I'm the only person who thinks the alpha looks much worse than what we ended up getting. Zombies getting back up after they're killed was interesting in Quake, but it just seems annoying for a monster that's so common. Speaking of Quake, I love Trent Reznor's work in that game, but all the sound effects in the Doom 3 alpha are spectacularly bland and generic. On top of that, the muzzle flashes on the weapons leave behind this weird glowing smoke for a second. What's with that?

Was the Doomguy supposed to be partially possessed or something in he original story? When he exits the elevator, he growls and bares his teeth. And then in all the cutscenes he seems to be hobbling with a very strange, inhuman jerkiness.

Out of all the differences between the alpha and the final product, I most wish dissolving corpses hadn't been implemented. Or at least there had been an option to turn it on or off. It would have been nice to still have that original shotgun model and to see Doomguy wearing his helmet, but those are pretty minor complaints.

Ryathaen said:

Out of all the differences between the alpha and the final product, I most wish dissolving corpses hadn't been implemented. Or at least there had been an option to turn it on or off. It would have been nice to still have that original shotgun model and to see Doomguy wearing his helmet...

Yes, I'd like all of these back, thanks.

Ryathaen said:

I feel like I'm the only person who thinks the alpha looks much worse than what we ended up getting. Zombies getting back up after they're killed was interesting in Quake, but it just seems annoying for a monster that's so common. Speaking of Quake, I love Trent Reznor's work in that game, but all the sound effects in the Doom 3 alpha are spectacularly bland and generic. On top of that, the muzzle flashes on the weapons leave behind this weird glowing smoke for a second. What's with that?

Was the Doomguy supposed to be partially possessed or something in he original story? When he exits the elevator, he growls and bares his teeth. And then in all the cutscenes he seems to be hobbling with a very strange, inhuman jerkiness.

Out of all the differences between the alpha and the final product, I most wish dissolving corpses hadn't been implemented. Or at least there had been an option to turn it on or off. It would have been nice to still have that original shotgun model and to see Doomguy wearing his helmet, but those are pretty minor complaints.

I actually have to agree with you on most of those points. But then again, there's a reason why it was called the Doom 3 alpha. :P

Totally not trying to pimp Doom 3: Phobos or anything, but it also has a new shotgun which is (I believe) loosely based on the design of the alpha's shotgun, which you can see here. It's also supposed to have a little bit more range and less spread than the normal Doom 3 shotgun had, which I think is a plus considering you had to wait until the enemy was right in your face before you could do any actual damage with that thing.

Ryathaen said:

I feel like I'm the only person who thinks the alpha looks much worse than what we ended up getting. Zombies getting back up after they're killed was interesting in Quake, but it just seems annoying for a monster that's so common.

I was pissed off that they removed limb decapitation from the zombies. Take apart the old yellow suited zombie and his neck and torso have unique gore skins where the head and torso were cut.

I was also hoping for zombies to pick up any foreign object near them (I read that was an attempt, such as the chainsaw video). And of course, the baron throwing monsters at you.

AgentSpork said:

Totally not trying to pimp Doom 3: Phobos or anything, but it also has a new shotgun which is (I believe) loosely based on the design of the alpha's shotgun, which you can see here. It's also supposed to have a little bit more range and less spread than the normal Doom 3 shotgun had, which I think is a plus considering you had to wait until the enemy was right in your face before you could do any actual damage with that thing.

Go ahead and pimp it. Are there any other DOOM³ mods in development that actually look like they're worth anything? (And I mean mods that actually have something to do with the DOOM universe, not The Dark Mod or Hexen: Edge of Chaos.)

And that's shaping up to be a nice custom shotgun. The DOOM³ shotty could definitely use some more range.

Ryathaen said:

Zombies getting back up after they're killed was interesting in Quake, but it just seems annoying for a monster that's so common.

Mmm.. I thought it was nice feature in that Doom3 alpha I tested. I think they only came back up once, and not always, and less often if they were shot with a bigger gun, or maybe that was just a coincidence.

Then when I played Doom3, I was constantly expecting the zombies to get back up, then was sort of disappointed that they didn't.

Dragonsbrethren said:

You say scary, I say it looks like Doomguy just gave the thing a birthday present. Happiest looking hellspawn I've ever seen.

Sorry for the unnecessary bump, but that's part of why it's so creepy. Let's say you went out for a night of drinking. The next morning, would you be more disturbed if you woke up next to that thing grinning in your face, or a gray wall of meat that doesn't even seem to be self-aware?

Agentspork said:

Picture

Not to divert from the thread, but that picture I'd actually used for my Doom RPG. I forget where I got it. probably google. Ok, back on to your regularly scheduled thread.

However, one thing for the thread, and it's probably a dumb comment: If Doom 3 was supposed to be a remake of Doom 1, why have the game end after the cyberdemon battle, and not have the game take place on Phobos/Deimos Hell?

Technician said:

I was pissed off that they removed limb decapitation from the zombies. Take apart the old yellow suited zombie and his neck and torso have unique gore skins where the head and torso were cut.

I was also hoping for zombies to pick up any foreign object near them (I read that was an attempt, such as the chainsaw video). And of course, the baron throwing monsters at you.

(sorry for necroposting) I'm pretty sure decapitation is supposed to mean cutting someone's head off.

I played the alpha when it was leaked. I remember being more creeped out and scared by it than the final release. I feel like it has to do with the overall presentation. In the final game, you start out with a cinematic introduction, and throughout the game you have NPCs talking to you and giving you directions, those are things that provide a lot of comfort (for me, at least). In the alpha, you're just dropped into some noisy industrial place all by yourself with no real sense of where you are or what you need to be doing, that is highly disconcerting IMO.

Clonehunter said:

I wish they would've kept that one Pinky encounter in as well as the goblin head monster from the early videos. The only thing that could be called "a turn for the worst"

I completely agree with this. The goblin demon was badass and should have made the final game.

Along with this guy: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-3-general/87422-rare-unused-monster-in-doom-3-files/