Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phobosdeimos1

Easiest way to record Prboom+ demos

The title says it all,

I've tried to look for instructions, but I don't understand any of it, and I still don't understand what people are referring to when they speak of the command line. At first I thought it was the cmd.exe but why would it be?

SINCE dragging and dropping demo files onto Prboom+ works, I'm wondering if there is a similarly easy way to record a demo using Prboom+

If not, please, for once and for all explain how to do it in a way that someone who is used to GUI screens will understand.

Here is how I do it myself.

I create a shortcut for the executable (for me, glboom-plus.exe). I rightclick on it and select Properties. In the Target box, the first box you can type in, I put "[path]" -file [wad] -complevel [number] -skill [number] -warp [number] -record [demoname]

For example, if I want to record an UV (skill 4) demo on a wad named ravioli3 with Doom 2 complevel (2) and start on Map01, I type

"D:\Jeux\Doom\PrBoom+ 2.5.0.6\glboom-plus.exe" -file ravioli3 -complevel 2 -skill 4 -warp 1 -record Ok

in the Target box. It'll save a demo (lmp file) named Ok.

"D:\Jeux\Doom" is where I put my PrBoom+, you might have it in "C:\Program Files" or whatever obviously.

I just set it up like that once and the next time I need to record a demo I usually just have to change the wad name and maybe complevel. Skill is usually 4 and warp usually 1, and I only rename demos afterwards, the ones that I keep.

Fantastic thanks very much for explaining in non-l33t programmer terms, I appreciate it :) look forward to some youtube playthroughs then!

@echo off
set /p params=Enter parameters to prboom-plus: 
prboom-plus %params%
Slap that crap into a .bat file or something. Really just easier to use the command prompt though; the command history can be useful.

phobosdeimos1 said:

I got a new problem, i tried this, it seemed to work but i got a

"G_ReadDemoHeader: Unknown demo format 80."

???

That means you're trying to load a PWAD as a demo. Reread the docs and make sure you're using the right command line parameters.

Edit: btw, Unknown demo format 73 means you're trying to play an IWAD as a demo, in case anyone comes across it.

natt said:

That means you're trying to load a PWAD as a demo. Reread the docs and make sure you're using the right command line parameters.

Edit: btw, Unknown demo format 73 means you're trying to play an IWAD as a demo, in case anyone comes across it.

It's ok, although I never solved THAT problem, I had no problem with zdoom demo recording. As i'm recording these demos for youtube, that's no problem.

Hmm, interesting. Maybe trying to play a PWAD as a demo should search for a DEMO* lump and play the first one found in numeric order? ;)

Or even better, -playdemo <wad> <#> could play DEMO<#> :P