Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Where is Doom3guy?

It kinda bothers me that even if Doom3guy is well alive, just a bit dizzy at the end of Doom 3, you get to play as some other guy in the expansion, let's call him Doom-engineer. I didn't like this one too much, he was too eager to take the demon-attracting beacon that was the Artifact into his own possession and use it at will, causing mayhem around. At least he kinda fulfilled his destiny by shoving the Artifact into Betruger's throat and presumably being vaporized shortly after.

But where has the Doom 3 marine been during all this time? I don't think he had to retire, but on the other hand I doubt humanity would believe him after all the information about demonic invasion was contained by UAC (see the frustrating Doom 3 ending / RoE beginning -- no revealing of what caused the "accidents", no belief). Will he make a return in the Doom 3: Phobos campaign? Will he come back in Doom 4? I'd hate to see his character scrapped like that. I hope he'll meet with the classic Doomguy in Doom 4 and probably be forced by evil circumstances to fight him in a deathmatch showdown.

The Doom 3 guy isn't even a character, it's a shell for the player to fit into. See also: Quake guy, Gordon Freeman, Crysis guy (did he have a name?), etc.

chungy said:

Crysis guy (did he have a name?)

Nomad was his callsign, and he did have a voice so I don't know if he qualifies as a total shell character.

If anything, Doom3guy is probably in an infirmary or a padded cell. If Lovecraftian mythos is anything to go by, he must be in a bit of a poor mental state after taking on a hell invasion.

The Doom 3 Guy was busy playing Quake 43 which he found at some kid's garage sale because it reminded him (The kid) of his old poor Uncle who died somewhere...

Xeros612 said:

If anything, Doom3guy is probably in an infirmary or a padded cell. If Lovecraftian mythos is anything to go by, he must be in a bit of a poor mental state after taking on a hell invasion.

What a wimp. Doomguy returned to active duty after saving Phobos, Deimos and Earth from hell invasions AND did it again three times in Final Doom and Doom 64, in which he remained in Hell as an eternal watchman.
Doom3guy strolled through a haunted house and retired shortly after.

He is forever stuck in a timeless loop fighting Doom3 monsters through Mars bases (and whatever custom level you load).

PRIMEVAL said:

He is forever stuck in a timeless loop fighting Doom3 monsters through Mars bases (and whatever custom level you load).

I found this to be particularly amusing because I've sometimes thought about that very thing, like the Doom Guy being cursed to this one specific existence.

The wikipedia article is pretty interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomguy

So, John Kane is who we are wondering about here. I suppose he could have a come-back kinda like Ripley in Aliens. It would be great if the Phobos Campaign started with a UAC Trial where John had to defend all the destruction he caused... A post ROE story for John? They'd have to send him to another planet which seems too far in the future for this universe. I suppose they could have a larger civilian colony elsewhere that is under attack...

John Kane...I like that name...Especially since my name is John and my favorite wrestler of all time is Kane X)

Kane is a name used over and over again for "hardass" type characters. Its far from the first time I have seen it used in a game (or book based on a game in this case).

lupinx-Kassman said:

Kane is a name used over and over again for "hardass" type characters.

Kane wasn't very hardass when that hole got torn open in his chest. He just screamed and died, like the rest of us would've.