Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
888mikem888

Doom 3 Vs. Resurrection of Evil

I havn't played RoE but I have seen videos on YouTube and what not. I have however, beaten Doom3. I just wanted to know in your guys' opinion which is better.

RoE is pretty good, and I so far am finding it a little above par when compared to Doom 3. The levels are more diverse, and while there are still some corridor-crawling segments, and a lot of techbase, it still looks veried more than DOom 3 and thus retains interest. There are also in many cases bigger fights and whatnot and the boss battles are interesting to solve (if not a little simple in some cases). THe Hell Heart I am also finding to be a bit more interesting than the Soul Cube.

But true opinions can only be established by you. So go and play it.

Clonehunter said:

But true opinions can only be established by you. So go and play it.

I would if I could find it and afford it. :P

Mithran Denizen said:

If you're not a Steam hater like me, you could always go for it here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9070/

I think the 33% discount is still effective for another day or two, at least, so that's something.

Problem is though, I don't have a credit card, I'm not old enough to get one quite yet. And as far as I know, there does not exsist Steam gift cards, which is real bull-crap.

If you haven't already tried, you might be able to use those prepaid Visa/Mastercard things. I've given a few of them to my ten year old nephew so he could buy games over the internet. They're available in pretty much any Wal-Mart or major grocery store, at least in my area.

From a quick forum search, it looks like they can be used to buy stuff on Steam.

RoE and DOOM 3 really feel much the same.

RoE feels a bit more "open" though, like in the beginning levels. It seems to have more puzzles, especially with the artifact. BUT, its short. DOOM 3 was longer, and I some what like it better.

yellowmadness54 said:

BUT, its short. DOOM 3 was longer

Considering it's an expansion pack, I'd assume it to be shorter than the main game.

Xeros612 said:

Considering it's an expansion pack, I'd assume it to be shorter than the main game.

well yeah, no shit. I was saying that as a downside to it, and that being a reason as to how I like doom3 better.

I think RoE was great. The fights were more intense. I did expect the game continue after the mission in Hell like Doom3 did..

I thought the soul cube was better special weapon than the artifact. At least when playing in nightmare skill. It just didn't feel right that the only way to gain health is from the health stations. So they should have thought of something different for the RoE nightmare.

ROE is great, the thing I like most is the addition of SSG. The new monsters looks cool also, the 3 hell hunters are my favourite monsters in ROE.

But if you ask me, I think ROE and Doom 3 are also great abd fun to play with though it's too dark in certain areas.

I liked Doom 3 better. The artifact in ROE made me feel too powerful too quickly ; or alternatively, the opposition wasn't strong enough. The boss battles felt gimmicky, easy and uninteresting. Beyond that, I don't remember anything about this expansion pack - it didn't leave a strong impression.

I also like Doom 3 better, but I'd recommend RoE as well. Doom 3 felt much more consistent throughout and was much more atmospheric. Even the soul cube has quite a story and is actually a main gameplay feature in the Nightmare difficulty. Meanwhile, RoE introduced too many gimmicky and cheesy features that have nothing to do with the Doom experience, and are really specific to modern games (such as the ability to slow down time and be immortal for awhile. You don't need that!). There are far fewer PDAs and even fewer audio logs.

But all in all, the Doom 3 RoE missions are pretty cool and worth playing, if forgettable, and the final boss is better than the Cyberdemon. I actually wish someone would port him to Doom 2.

Mithran Denizen said:

If you haven't already tried, you might be able to use those prepaid Visa/Mastercard things. I've given a few of them to my ten year old nephew so he could buy games over the internet. They're available in pretty much any Wal-Mart or major grocery store, at least in my area.

From a quick forum search, it looks like they can be used to buy stuff on Steam.

Hm, I'll look into that, thanks!

I always liked RoE better, because it was harder and more action-packed than Doom 3. Also, the final boss in RoE was better. One problem I have about it is that the Artifact is a little overpowered, considering you're very fast, have powered up weapons, and you're invulnerable all at the same time.

I hardly ever used the artifact, mostly just when there was some puzzle or something that required me to use it.

I think every game that has some super powers, I never use them, unless the game forces me to use them with some puzzle, which then makes the super powers and the puzzle feel cliché. And often with that kind of puzzles the puzzle was just to use the super powers. Sure I understand that too complicated puzzles in an action game might be a bit downer.

ROE is much more action-packed than the original Doom 3. You will find yourself in some much bigger fights this time around. The main character looks and acts much more like the original doom guy now. The game has a cooler intro and a cooler ending. The old lost souls, which looked completely retarded, have been redone so that they look like flying skulls again. The game has nice boss fights. And of course they added the double barreled shotgun, which is the icing on the cake.

In the multiplayer department, the official maximum number of players that can be in a game has been increased to 8 and there is a CTF gamemode. Also, I'm not sure if this means anything to you but the game does include 4 new deathmatch levels. One of these is set in the martian ruins and the other three are set in Hell, which adds some diversity to the original selection.

I would recommend you pick it up.

yellowmadness54 said:

well yeah, no shit. I was saying that as a downside to it, and that being a reason as to how I like doom3 better.

It can be beaten in a day, even less. Still it was far better than Doom 3, RoE had much more of what I liked about Doom 3.

888mikem888 said:

I havn't played RoE but I have seen videos on YouTube and what not. I have however, beaten Doom3. I just wanted to know in your guys' opinion which is better.

I'd play them both in chronological order and consider them two chapters of the same story (duh). RoE somewhat dropped the survival horror aspect of D3 in favour of a more action-orientated experience. They're both good, they just have slightly different paces of gameplay. Not unlike the subtle differences between Doom and Doom 2.

I like the Doom3 main game better than RoE, it's more polished, with more love to details and the adventure aspect works better. Also the progression of the scenarios is better, in RoE you start right in the mysterious ancient Martian ruins and then have the tech base levels afterwards, which is anti-climatic.

Also compare Doom 3's hell level with the one in RoE. RoE hell is not much more than a boring cave filled with lava, the hell level in Doom 3 is much more diverse and interesting.

The Vulgars are a bit of a downside. Why I like the new monster, I feel he is far to overused and just a bit too powerful. His appearance comes with less welcome than the continuous Imps in Doom 3 as RoE goes on. Also, your always fighting about four at a time, and they are kinda hard to hit. Thankfully grenades can be used to kill them very quickly. Unluckily, there is a point in the game where you simply can't find any to restock with.

Clonehunter said:

The Vulgars are a bit of a downside. Why I like the new monster, I feel he is far to overused and just a bit too powerful. His appearance comes with less welcome than the continuous Imps in Doom 3 as RoE goes on. Also, your always fighting about four at a time, and they are kinda hard to hit. Thankfully grenades can be used to kill them very quickly. Unluckily, there is a point in the game where you simply can't find any to restock with.

Try the grappler, pretty much renders the vulgars useless.

My favorite part of ROE was when you teleported to Delta labs. Talk about fuckin creepy

Face23785 said:

Try the grappler, pretty much renders the vulgars useless.

My favorite part of ROE was when you teleported to Delta labs. Talk about fuckin creepy

During that mission, it felt like I was high, probably because the computer back then was pretty slow and I was using the artifact all the time, the monsters never stopped spawning...

One of the few things I did not like about RoE was the ancient ruins part. Didn't like the way those levels felt. The tech labs and all were pretty good, and hell was great but **********ly short.

I liked the SSG in it, but the lack of chainsaw disturbed me.

And there was only one pinky, which was my favorite enemy of the games.

Why do so many people hate the ancient ruins type of levels? They're definitely more varied than the techbases, if you will... And they seem open-ended, because they're not as much constrained by realism. Just make sure to seal the caves from the Mars atmosphere, fill them with breathable air, and knock yourself out adding everything you want there: UAC mining shafts, scaffolds, ancient tunnels, symbolic stone doors, ancient artifacts that still work, pits of deathfog, lava, buried castles, puzzles...

yellowmadness54 said:

One of the few things I did not like about RoE was the ancient ruins part. Didn't like the way those levels felt. The tech labs and all were pretty good, and hell was great but **********ly short.

I liked the SSG in it, but the lack of chainsaw disturbed me.

And there was only one pinky, which was my favorite enemy of the games.

Play on veteran, there was more than 1 pinky, although they were still rare. Even imps felt rare for most of the game.

Face23785 said:

Play on veteran, there was more than 1 pinky, although they were still rare. Even imps felt rare for most of the game.

Well, I'll have to fire up my xbox and rebuy the game :/

Or wait until I get a good PC