Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

DVII Second Edition underway. It's time!

We'd probably be testing out the gameplay right now if your bitch ass would stop playing so much Star Crack II.

Good lord, what is the thing/linedef/sidedef/sector count for the first image?

People have been asking about DVII's progress in another thread, might as well keep these for the record.

E1M1 remade in my style.

Looks sweet. I had been wondering what the long empty halls with repeating arrows in them were in the editor shot you posted. :P

I have a suggestion DM, perhaps you could put some cliffs on the horizon to block the sky? I assume that the player is not allowed to go into that outside area, but if you put some cliffs in, it would make sense to allow the player to roam that area and make the map feel more open and less restricted.

While putting cliffs around the horizon would somewhat allow the player to freely roam the background area, it comes with a few trade-offs:

1. When the player finally encounters the horizon cliff walls, the level will feel like it's walled off.

2. Blocking the sky has a net negative effect on the vista as a whole, and isn't as aesthetically pleasing as having the edge of the map meet the sky in the manner which my screenshot is showing.

Even if the player got to roam the background area, they will eventually hit a physical restriction, and will feel like it's walled off anyway. Ever seen that movie, "The Truman Show"?

In the current build, the closest to the crater plains the player is allowed to go, is on the runway. This is currently the optimal compromise between gazing at the vista versus the Doom Engine's limitation.

Still, are you sure about limiting play area to just the runway? I would think that having an invisible barrier suddenly blocking the player would really break the map, unless you plan on installing a fence or something.

I wanted the vista without obstruction, having fences would also diminish this effect. With the aesthetic direction I'm taking, invisible barriers in reasonable places is the design choice I chose.

Invisible barriers are not that bad in my eyes, as long as they're placed tastefully in areas that doesn't affect combat movement too much.

Yo.

Just wanted to mention that there is a bug (feature?) in that japan map - you can sr50 out of the jingjang battle before you get closed in.

Structurally it looks interesting from what I can make out, but the palette makes it look like total barf. You really should let someone fix your palette; it's pretty easy to improve the reds without sacrificing anything.

It's a problem I've always been aware of, and I've attempted to fix the palette before, and I've never been completely satisfied with the results.

If someone wants to come forward and improve DVII's palette, please contact me.

I think that's the very first Hell map I've ever seen where the level geometry looks so close to blending into the landscape in the skybox. It really looks like you're 'in' the mountain range from the E3 sky you've got going on there. Or at least in the foothills.

Major kudos.

I went through this thread, seen some awesome screenshots and read up on the incredibly ambitious plans of turning DVII into a full Megawad. To say it sounds promising is an understatement!

Looking at the dates though, it seems there hasn't been any updates for almost a year now. How is this project going and what's the current progress on it?

Doom Marine, I heard a lot about DV, tried the first one, and wow, the levels were amazing, even though they're one megamap altogether. Gameplay was pretty tough, moreso than Plutonia and HR, which I noticed you took a lot of inspiration from, but you have a sense of aesthetics that meets the standards of AV, though I experienced serious lagging in most of the maps. Nevertheless, DV is awesome, with its eye-catching architecture and strategic, yet sometimes overwhelming, monster placement.

There's one thing I'd wish you could do with the second edition of DVII, tone done the zipfile size, as I noticed was one of the drawbacks people mentioned of the first edition of DVII. Other than that, I saw playthroughs of the DVII maps and you never ceased to wow me with such top-notch quality level design coupled with the addictiveness I'm sensing in watching those playthroughs.

All the best luck with your second edition of DVII. I'm sure that a full 32-level megawad with maps of this calibre will result in a super-hyper-ultra-mega-giga-epic-legendary megawad which will, as once mentioned in the 2008 Cacowards for the first edition, deserve a golden Cyberdemon signed by John Romero and blessed by the Pope. You truly are up there with Erik Alm and Anders Johnsen as one of the best mappers in Doom history.

Cheers.

T-Rex

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention. If you want original music for the megawad, do consider Pcorf's proposal, as I heard a lot of music, and they sound pretty good, and recruit Jimmy91 and Stewboy for good measure. They're by far the best Doom musicians.