Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Fastest way to record start a demo over.

What is the fastest way to start over when you die or a demo otherwise doesn't go your way? Right now I run from a Windows command window and when I need to restart I go F10 - Y - Up - Enter

Is this as fast as I can go or is there an even quicker way?

Yes, in classic ports you have to reload the game.

I think you can configure ZDoom so that it will record only your last attempt.

i use prboom+, record.BAT on my desktop and key_quit on Y.

Belial said:

Batch files and insta-quits.

How do you insta-quit? I find it pretty annoying that you have to confirm your exit with the Y button.

It'd be cool if there was a "restart" option or something, you just press the key and the screen wipes and starts over with a new demo file. And an option for if you die, all you have to do is press spacebar and the screen wipes and a new demo file starts (instead of the deaths being included). Is that possible in prboom-plus?

Just wrote the crappiest C++ program ever

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <sstream>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{
	int i = 0;
	stringstream numtoint;
	string demoname = "C:\\Doom\\glboom-plus.exe -file sunder.wad -warp 01 -skill 4 -record ducker";
	string command = "C:\\Doom\\glboom-plus.exe -file sunder.wad -warp 01 -skill 4 -record ducker";
	string num = "";
	while(true)
	{
		numtoint.str("");
		numtoint << i;
		num = numtoint.str();
		system(demoname.c_str());
		demoname = command + num;
		i++;
	}
	return 0;
}
to save me from two key presses.

In case you're wondering, I'm trying to record a legit playthrough of Sunder MAP01 since I think InsaneGazebo is upset at me over the whole 1hp thing.

eternal slumber said:

It'd be cool if there was a "restart" option or something, you just press the key and the screen wipes and starts over with a new demo file. And an option for if you die, all you have to do is press spacebar and the screen wipes and a new demo file starts (instead of the deaths being included). Is that possible in prboom-plus?

I would love this.

Belial said:

Q in vanilla, double Y (I guess that's the reason for dew's bind) in pr.

this instant exit on pressing Q pissed me off to no end when i was playing vanilla. especially after i started binding weapons to the keys around WASD in other games, i have the rocket launcher or a similar heavy weapon mapped to Q. or if you just touch Q while switching weapons (fist / pistol) with the numbers row. imo not the best design back then.

eternal slumber said:

that would be a neat feature in a future prboom+ release.

it depends on the player, i see. best is to have a customizable option, rather than force using a certain key.

I record and play back demos with PrBoom Plus, and I'm used to launch it through the "Start -> Execute" command in Windows (in my German system it's "Start -> Ausführen"). So I'm used to start each new recording attempt by pressing instantly "F10 - Y - Win - Up - Up - Up - Enter - Enter".

SAV88 said:

So I'm used to start each new recording attempt by pressing instantly
"F10 - Y - Win - Up - Up - Up - Enter - Enter".

"Y - Y - WinR - Enter" is shorter a little

DuckReconMajor said:

Just wrote the crappiest C++ program ever to save me from two key presses.

This doesn't compile, needs #include <cstdlib>