Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Clonehunter said:

Oh God that is always a great. I always felt BA when I killed a Pinky with the SSG. Also why I like other 90's era games, always bloody. Powerslave had cool gibs, Hitler's death is always a classic, and don't get me started on the Mancubus. :D

No other weapon really compares. For a series touted on its crazy weapons, little of Duke 3D's stuff has that kind of positive feedback (the squish is close, but not on the same level). SSG/Demon is the audio/visual sweet spot. Killing a horde of Demons with the SSG is zen dooming for me.

Processingcontrol said:

It's actually pretty easy to do that by wall running.

Well that's another thing, I'm not very good at these Doom tricks. ;)

Mithran Denizen said:

Like some others here, the list of praised wads that I haven't yet played is pretty extensive, and it keeps getting longer, as more projects are finished before I play through the earlier stuff. Just off the top of my head, I've never played Serenity, Hell Revealed 2, Action Doom 2, Harmony, Speed of Doom, Alien Vendetta, Crucified Dreams, Memento Mori, Memento Mori 2, Icarus, Scythe, Doom Core, Null Space, Unloved, Kama Sutra, Congestion 1024, Deus Vult, Plutonia 2, or Whispers of Satan.[/list]

What bothers me more is that I've played all of those (and much, much more) aside from Crucified Dreams (because I don't care for online DM in Doom) and Doom Core (because I only started playing yesterday).

I'm also a major league completionist, and will very rarely just give up on a .WAD and not play it ever again. If I'm getting bored or frustrated I'll just save, quit and come back to it some other time.

As for the plasma gun... the sound annoys me, so I'll very rarely use it, and instead just keep buning through the virtually unlimited shells the average mapset supplies me with, or pull out the BFG or RL for crowd control.

I had a simultaneous GTA/Doom obsession for a while, and used to run around small-monster-heavy city maps with the SSG, firing at the exact moment I touched them, pretending I was driving a car.

While playing trough the great-fun-but-under-detailed DSV I used to delight in blinking as I fired the SSG at close range, imagining my own death scenes of the monsters based on the snapshot glimpse I got of the flying blood.

I also had a spate of waiting for monsters to get near "bloody" walls before rocketing them, so I could imagine the blood on the walls was splattered from the monster (this was in the Playstation days).

I liked Neo Doom, despite the fact that it was written off by most people as "yet another shovel wad" and Daniel developed a bizarre hatred of Doomworld because somebody gave one of his wads a negative review (mind you in other wads of his you play as "him", the sprite made from photos of him looking "badass" in white jeans, no shirt with a toy gun, and the sound effects are replaced by him saying "badass" stuff in Spanish, in that sort of "quiet shouting" that children do because he was afraid of people overhearing what he was recording). Wow that was the longest sentence ever, anyway Neo Doom was actually fun and the extra monsters and weapons were pretty coherent and not just all crammed in together.

I can remember Legacy having skyboxes

I was dissapointed when Doom Rampage's hilarious flame against me got deleted from the idgames page of my parody wad.

hex11 said:

Well that's another thing, I'm not very good at these Doom tricks. ;)

Oh there's another one...

I don't know how to wallrun and cannot be bothered to learn (I can SR50 though)

Hellbent said:

What's your idea of a good map?

Unpredictability(!), using textures together that the majority of the community seems to frown upon, beyond bizarre architecture, extreme (no really) atmosphere, using monsters in strange/unique ways.. etc.

I believe if you consider mapping an art... stay away from peer review (except for bugfixes) and make your map the way you want to play it and put it out there as is. I'm not interested in whether Joe thinks this texture looks right with this texture. It looks good to me, and that's enough.

More confessions: I'm fine with linear - I can't stand being lost and wandering around for a silly hidden switch on the other side of a non-linear map! I like arch-viles on the first map of a megawad! I couldn't care less if a texture isn't aligned somewhere if I'm enjoying the map. So many more. I'm not interested in what a lot of people consider guidelines or rules about mapping.

Sinter said:

Unpredictability(!), using textures together that the majority of the community seems to frown upon, beyond bizarre architecture, extreme (no really) atmosphere, using monsters in strange/unique ways.. etc.

I believe if you consider mapping an art... stay away from peer review (except for bugfixes) and make your map the way you want to play it and put it out there as is. I'm not interested in whether Joe thinks this texture looks right with this texture. It looks good to me, and that's enough.

More confessions: I'm fine with linear - I can't stand being lost and wandering around for a silly hidden switch on the other side of a non-linear map! I like arch-viles on the first map of a megawad! I couldn't care less if a texture isn't aligned somewhere if I'm enjoying the map. So many more. I'm not interested in what a lot of people consider guidelines or rules about mapping.

Cool. My other guilty confession is that I actually liked CJWright's maps. They were refreshing. I guess he got banned or got tired of being hated on.

Hellbent said:

I guess he got banned or got tired of being hated on.

Everything that happened to that guy was of his own doing.

deathbringer said:

I also had a spate of waiting for monsters to get near "bloody" walls before rocketing them, so I could imagine the blood on the walls was splattered from the monster (this was in the Playstation days).

I used to do this when I was younger, on Doom95 I'd turn on respawning monsters, and start a map with IDDQD and IDBEHOLDS and berserk punch respawning monsters for hours, also punching them into bloody walls as you described. My favorite level was Industrial Zone for that reason, I'd play that map until you couldn't see the grass anymore, covered in shotguns and bullet clips.

I should also admit that Starcraft was really popular among some friends I had in high school. I couldn't help but rename each monster into starcraft units in Doom as I was playing. Former Humans were Marines, shotgun guys were ghosts, chaingun guys were firebats, demons were zerglings, cacodemons were guardians, I forget how the rest of the tier goes though.

I hate the maps: the factory, the spirit world, the chasm and e3m2
I prefer the controller (ps1, xbox) above the mouse/keyboard.
I save while playing.
I hate the password system on ps1
I never completed the final doom.

I don't enjoy playing vanilla Doom as much as I used to because the maximum mouse sensitivity is too low.

Oh yeah for a while I had a "thing" for Ruba's maps. I thought the bizarreness outweighed the badness. However by the time they reached 11 or so the joke was getting old.

Stygian said:

I don't enjoy playing vanilla Doom as much as I used to because the maximum mouse sensitivity is too low.

You can change mouse_sensitivity in default.cfg. I set mine to 35. You just can't open your options menu anymore.

DuckReconMajor said:
You can change mouse_sensitivity in default.cfg. I set mine to 35. You just can't open your options menu anymore.

Really? I need to try that. Thank you.

Sinter said:

You've inspired me to make a crazy map.

Here are my confessions

I remember testing out Aeons of Death like crazy when it was first released. (Nowadays, I stick with Scoredoom.)

Eternal Doom, The Herian megawads, and the Armadosia one ALL did my head in. (Then again, I REALLY hate switch hunt manias, or levels with nigh-impossible-to-find switches)

As much as I like Alien Vendetta, Map11's the one map I'm not so fond of.

I prefer playing Doom maps on Scoredoom mostly with music from Painkiller.

I haven't played most of the other megawads yet, but I will get around to them. Speaking of which, I'll always try to complete all 32 levels of each megawad, that includes both secret maps.

gun_psycho said:

I REALLY hate switch hunt manias, or levels with nigh-impossible-to-find switches

This.

Reaper978 said:

I've never actually heard of, or played, Doom.

This isn't the call of duty fanboy site.. where the fuck am I?

I was being sarcastic, just in case you didn't get the joke. My jokes are always impossibly dry and sarcastic.

You could always pretend Doom hasn't been releaed yet, and wait until Dec. 10 to download the v0.99 shareware. In the meantime, there's always Wolf3D. :D

DuckReconMajor said:

Indeed, 30 is as high as you can put it without it crashing when going into options.

I haven't played Doom without mouse look or on anything but GZdoom and Skulltag in years.
I also dislike playing anything that is 'WIP' in fear of compulsion to constantly replay it every update.
I play every WAD on UV, no matter how hard I might fail at it.
I sometimes save my game once or more a minute.
I enjoy playing with weapons mods.
I believe the Master Levels are canon in Doom's story.
Instead of trying to beat Final Doom, I usually end up replaying UDoom/Doom 2 for the 5th+ time.

40oz said:

I'd play that map until you couldn't see the grass anymore, covered in shotguns and bullet clips.

You must have had a very powerful PC then (assuming this was before 2000?)

When it comes to Scoredoom, I mostly use the supershotgun because I'm pretty much loaded down with ammo for it in most of my doom 2 megawad runs.

Though the BFG's altfire (the nuclear missile one) does sound gamebreaking, I actually only use it when I REALLY need it.

My first time getting into Doom was via the PSX port.

Reaper978 said:

I was being sarcastic, just in case you didn't get the joke. My jokes are always impossibly dry and sarcastic.

Hehe I was intending to do the same ;)