Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

-Someone already said this but if I play a single map wad on map 1 I ALWAYS kill the three soldiers on Map 2
-When I download a megawad, I always warp to random levels and run through them until I die to help me decide whether I want to play them or not
-I am so bored of Doom2's soundtrack that if I see any maps (particularly megawads) that have no new music, I'm unlikely to download them.
-Despite spending a large amount of time reviewing other people's work as a Newstuff reviewer back in 2005, I have never had the balls to release any of my work. And, although many aspects of my mapping have gotten pretty good, I have never figured out how to align teleport textures, so always just use a water texture for teleports.
-And probably the most shameful is that I never used strafe long enough to get used to it so...I don't strafe. Ever.

duncan said:

I am so bored of Doom2's soundtrack that if I see any maps (particularly megawads) that have no new music, I'm unlikely to download them.

I'm bored of it too but that would limit my choice of WADs too much, so instead I have my own music compilation WAD that I use as a fallback.

DuckReconMajor said:

Can you play well at all without strafing? That would be interesting to see.

Well enough, i'm by no means any kind of Doom-God but i can cope well enough in multiplayer games and in UV on single player. I think someone could play well in any method if they practised it long enough and I've been playing for almost 14 years

As far as slaughtermaps go, the only ones I don't like so much are ones where you start out surrounded by opposition right from the start, especially ones like Hell Revealed's Map24 (HR's map26 had a pretty neat "floating in the sky" effect, though.)

Edit: I'd also like to add that I admit that out of the community chest project megawads, I loved #3 the best. (Map31 reminded me the most of Fragport's Map30, as far as the time limit thing is concerned.)

duncan said:

Well enough, i'm by no means any kind of Doom-God but i can cope well enough in multiplayer games and in UV on single player. I think someone could play well in any method if they practised it long enough and I've been playing for almost 14 years

Could you record a demo of you playing a map? I hope I don't come across as calling you some kind of freak, I'm just curious.

• Occasionally my obsessive automap completist side surfaces, and I need to fill the automapping of a level before I give myself permission to exit it. Of course without touching IDDT or by picking up the computer map item.
  • During recent years I've developed a habit out of playing through Doom II MAP01 and MAP02 at least once a week, sometimes as often as once a day. Overall I've probably played them hundreds of times.
  • Nearly every time I play MAP01, I do this:

And enjoy it immensely each time.

Automap completionism hits home to me. Unlike No Pickup Left Behind, however, it's something I still do to this very day, without thinking about it. Didn't catch all the edges of those torch crannies? Gotta go back so the map looks complete.

What editor do you use? Do you know what a grid is and what it's for?

I also slop the three soldiers at the beginning of map02 when finished playing a 1 map .wad, but I use the rocket launcher. BFG is just way too over kill and takes too long to boot up.

duncan said:

-Someone already said this but if I play a single map wad on map 1 I ALWAYS kill the three soldiers on Map 2
-When I download a megawad, I always warp to random levels and run through them until I die to help me decide whether I want to play them or not
-I am so bored of Doom2's soundtrack that if I see any maps (particularly megawads) that have no new music, I'm unlikely to download them.
-Despite spending a large amount of time reviewing other people's work as a Newstuff reviewer back in 2005, I have never had the balls to release any of my work. And, although many aspects of my mapping have gotten pretty good, I have never figured out how to align teleport textures, so always just use a water texture for teleports.
-And probably the most shameful is that I never used strafe long enough to get used to it so...I don't strafe. Ever.

Alphawolf said:

I play E1M1-E1M4 often, each week. E1M1 doesn't get old, its my favourite map on any doom iwad/pwad

When I was thirteen, and had only the shareware version, I used to keep a save slot for E1M4 because I loved that level so much. Episode one is still the best.

I feel guilty if I cheat, so I very rarely do it, unless I want to idclip and explore a level. So if I download a custom map and can't get through it, I simply don't finish it, or frustrate the hell out of myself trying to do it without cheating.

GoatLord said:

I feel guilty if I cheat, so I very rarely do it, unless I want to idclip and explore a level. So if I download a custom map and can't get through it, I simply don't finish it, or frustrate the hell out of myself trying to do it without cheating.

Yeah i'm the same way. I won't cheat and if I can't finish a level without cheating I simply don't finish it. But that doesn't really feel like a confession. I've been assuming everyone played that way.

NiuHaka said:

Yeah i'm the same way. I won't cheat and if I can't finish a level without cheating I simply don't finish it. But that doesn't really feel like a confession. I've been assuming everyone played that way.

ha ha ha...

...only a few true doomers play with integrity...

Alphawolf said:

I play E1M1-E1M4 often, each week. E1M1 doesn't get old, its my favourite map on any doom iwad/pwad

Janizdreg said:

During recent years I've developed a habit out of playing through Doom II MAP01 and MAP02 at least once a week, sometimes as often as once a day. Overall I've probably played them hundreds of times.

Redeemer812 said:

I've probably played MAP01 thirty thousand times. Every single time I make sure to get all 100% kills and secrets before I hit the exit switch, at which point I finally turn off the game. Sometimes I do this multiple times a day.

Mithran Denizen said:

Barring heinous disruption to my free time, I run through the shareware episode at least once per month, and I'm still not sick of it. When my other commitments aren't in the way, I'll tend to run through it once per day.

Sometimes I do this kind of stuff (though not quite as often) and I always feel bad because "there's so many wads I could be playing". I don't feel so bad anymore.

OK here's a big one:
I read the manual before I first played the game.

GoatLord said:

I godmoded CIF3 the first time I played through it. I've since discovered that it's possible to beat it without cheating at all, it just takes a bit of patience.

darkreaver said:

I never play Doom in single-player without cheating (exept for testing my own/friends maps). I find it...boring :0

Me too, though not because of it being boring, but as both a force of habit from having to play Doom in secrecy and not having time to actually beat levels (Mom would not approve of the blood/gore/satanic themes/etc.) and because maps I love "playing" are ridiculously massive maps like Sunder and Vela Pax, which both don't work on my computer at a speed high enough to play later on and I usually play just to see the architecture.

The only pwads I've ever completed without a single cheat are Equinox, Nuts 2, the Chex Quests... I... think that's it outside some random maps I've downloaded.

Also, prefer Ultimate Doom waaaay more than Doom 2, though Doom 2 has more fun PWAD's most the time.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also usually don't cheat when testing my maps or anyone elses.

When I first played Doom when I was 10 years old I was terrified playing it. The harrowing howl of some demons in the soundtrack just made me worse :p

And I'll admit some wads today still make me jump. Plus I can't play Doom3 without being on edge pretty much most of the time ahaha

- I check Team TNT's Website regularily
- I hate Doombuilder2 and I am waiting for an Yadex update for Ubuntu

Back when I was very little I used to play through Final Doom (mostly Plutonia) with the Simpsons Doom mod, except it was split into 2 different WAD files and I didn't know how to run them both at once, so I only had the sounds, but never the graphics. I also used to use full cheats for it (I'd play through Go 2 It with Simpsons sounds with IDDQD many times). The odd part is, I was allowed to play Doom, but wasn't allowed to watch the Simpsons back then.

That's probably my most embarrassing Doom-related factoid.

PSX Final Doom has a map called "Wormhole," which has a very easy, quick exit near the beginning, although there's a whole 2/3 of level that can be explored. Within it is a place where you transport to a hallway with a few skinny pillars you can walk through. The whole area makes a constant "chink" sound, like that of a lift stopping. My friend Robert, who I had converted into a Doomer, would claim that some crazy machine resembling a gigantic saw blade was actually heading toward you, which accounted for the sound. I remember being afraid of that area, and wondering how the Doom engine would even allow for such a thing.

Hellbent said:

ha ha ha...

...only a few true doomers play with integrity...

I'm like that, too. I just feel too guilty to cheat, which means that some mods get wasted because I can't figure out the first map, so I don't bother with it.

I usually won't play "really hard" maps/wads because they're usually boring and very tedious and I know I can beat them if I had the time.

That's not always true though.

I played nearly all of the 2000 or so wads in that "Master Levels For Doom 2" CD. Considering that all but a couple dozen of the wads were home-brewed monstrosities from 1994-95, you can imagine the amount of time I wasted. It had the original Simpsons mod, though!

cbronson said:

- I have only played multiplayer Doom on a LAN, around '98 or '99. I have never downloaded a multiplayer PWAD. As a matter of fact, I don't even read the /newstuff reviews of multiplayer maps;

Same here. And even though they're from the same people, I have a "fuck quake/hexen/heretic/etc" mentality. I just play Doom

I don't know what the fuck Rule 34 is, or 63, etc. I'm kinda curious, but I imagine noone will tell me because it makes them feel too cool to be in on the secret, which is very lame of you. <------reverse psychology, sort of

I was playing Resurrection of Evil the other night and when you teleport to Delta Labs, that section of the game scares the pants, underwear, and foreskin off'a me

Face23785 said:

I don't know what the fuck Rule 34 is, or 63, etc. I'm kinda curious, but I imagine noone will tell me because it makes them feel too cool to be in on the secret, which is very lame of you. <------reverse psychology, sort of

Google's not too cool to tell you. And Google is a pretty cool guy.