Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

Doom95 - no music

I've got Doom95 running under WinXp and the music just doesn't play despite of the sound effects being fully functional. When quitting there seems to be a brief moment of music play, I also found out that an mp3 playing just prior to starting Doom95 seems to activate music as well (though only for a couple of secs). I think it's a memory issue. Can anyone be of help?
ps: The Win95/98-compatibility-shit didn't work.

Doom95 is not fully compatible with winXP. Use a better engine.

ZDoom doesn't support the player voodoo dolls. => not acceptible.
I tried so many ports, none fulfills all the nice features and compatibility Doom95 has. :-(

Deathmatcher said:

ZDoom doesn't support the player voodoo dolls.

Erm, yes it does. You're thinking of Legacy.

Deathmatcher said:

nice features and compatibility Doom95 has. :-(

Which nice features?

Graf Zahl said:

Which nice features?

You know, it can...uh...well it can...and the uh...and also it...oh wait a fucking minute....

Doom95 does have that cool launcher thing. I found one for ZDoom but it won't load my damn custom wads...

Also I miss Doom95's mass monster kill cheat; now that my wad contains new sprites and a deh, ZDoom is my preferred testing engine (for simplicity).

BBG said:

You know, it can...uh...well it can...and the uh...and also it...oh wait a fucking minute....

Are "record Doom2.exe compatible demos in Win XP with sound on and full running speed" the words you were looking for?

I'm not especially recommending Doom95, but it does have at least one merit.

Voodoo dolls: jDoom also seems to have problems if there are a large number of them (and jHeretic has an odd issue with them and chaos devices).

netnomad312 said:

Also I miss Doom95's mass monster kill cheat; now that my wad contains new sprites and a deh, ZDoom is my preferred testing engine (for simplicity).

Boom-engine ports have a mass-kill cheat... I thought most of them do. Only used Boom's myself....
One would expect that PrBoom meets most people's needs.

netnomad312 said:

Also I miss Doom95's mass monster kill cheat;

In Zdoom, just type kill monsters at the console. :-)

Deathmatcher said:

ZDoom doesn't support the player voodoo dolls. => not acceptible.
I tried so many ports, none fulfills all the nice features and compatibility Doom95 has. :-(

hahah, nice features, right, like the savegame overflow or the draw planes overflow, or the buggy sound code, how about the complete lack of dehacked functionality? I could go on.

Igor9 said:

Oh, will you all just use the Eternity engine and shut up!

Oh, I didn't know Eternity had doom(2).exe demo support for recording and playback.

I can play a whole bunch of demos from Compet-N with Eternity using the latest version. The Noskill demo from doom2.net and the original demos in doom.wad, doom2.wad, tnt.wad and plutonia.wad also works fine. Heck the crazy rocket jumping lmps from 01fava.wad works too.

that's good to know. I didn't know that. Can you record demos with Eternity and play them back with Doom2?

From my (so far fairly limited) experience, they have a fair chance of playing back OK with Eternity, but some desync, and I get quite a few crashes, especially with multi-level lmps. When they do play back OK, it is cool to be able to use chasecam and walkcam, especially together with pausing.

I haven't tried recording with Eternity, but I'm not aware of any way to set compatibility levels, so I don't imagine they would be Doom2.exe compatible.