Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lobo

Edge 1.28 update

Edge 1.28 Beta 3 is currently being tested and the public release *should* be out shortly. Here's (some of the) stuff you can look forward to:

+ TIP_GRAPHIC supports scaling via fourth parameter, which is a value like 0.5, 1.0, 2.0.
+ CAST_TITLE command for things.ddf. Refers to an entry in LANGUAGES.DDF, and determines the monster's name in the DOOM II cast parade.
+ the sprite name "NULL" is now hard-coded, and means show nothing.
+ pseudo skyboxes for OpenGL.
+ windows version now detects out-of-date GWA files properly.
+ fixed the FACE() action.
+ fixed for MAXFALL when swimming.
+ fix for too much bobbing.
+ berserk: if already showing fist, don't lower/raise it.
+ fix for loss of precision when scrolling walls/floor.
+ fix for floor textures in GL (wrong scale, no transparency).
+ projectiles causing no damage when coming directly down.
+ PALETTE_REMAP now works in GL mode.
+ shot attacks now honour the RANGE setting in DDF.
+ full Mlook range in GL mode.
+ better sky drawing in GL: no more wobblies, much faster.
+ zooming: always use current weapon's zoom factor if set in DDF.
+ very basic overlay HUD (sorta like Legacy HUD).
+ new RTS ON_CONDITION: WALKING.
+ ON_CONDITION support for amounts with powerups.
+ RESISTANCE_CLASS for DDF.

Note: MP3 support has been completely removed.

Lobo said:

Note: MP3 support has been completely removed.

Ogg Vorbis Forever(tm).

Julian said:

Ogg Vorbis Forever(tm).

Yeah, that's the plan but it won't make it into the next release unfortunately.

Lizardcommando said:

Heh, it's about damn time I hear some news about EDGE. Is there anything else, or is that it?

There is some other stuff but I don't remember offhand. I'm afraid I kinda stuck on the list the stuff that seemed most interesting to me.

I also should mention that it runs (a bit) smoother on my PC (PIII 500 Mhz and ATI rage pro) than previous versions.

What else were you looking for? I believe there may be a couple more things to add to that list when the public release is ready :)

Will the doom 2 cast parade work now as well? it keeps crashing randomly on my wad (which has lots of added monsters), usually on the hellknight

I cannot foresee the future, so I can't tell you that your Doom2 cast parade will work in the next version of Edge if it doesn't work now. :(

Have you tried generating a log file to try and determine where the problem might be?(dodgy DDF, Edge motor etc.) If you can reproduce the crash then you should post a bug over at the Edge site with as much info as you can.

BTW and for the record: I am NOT a member of the Edge team, nor do I represent the opinions of the team. However I have no problem passing on ideas/questions to the Edge guys. I am simply a fan of Edge since the days when it was known as DosDoom and a beta tester for the current version of Edge.

Hm, i would have thought that the cast crashing would have been common knowledge, seeing as most people who create all-new monsters in a wad would want to see them all lined up, but i'll send a report anyway

not speaking of which, i'll go and play map30 in lilwhitemouse's hellspawn wad and check out the monsters in that hehe

Lobo, I got a question. What is this message that appears when it crashes in certain wads, such as Counter DooM and Earthbound DooM:

"P_MobjItemRespawn: No such item type!"

Is it caused by the mod or the source port itself?

Sounds to me like a DDF-related problem, though I'd have to look into it. Maybe some things are flagged as respawnable, but don't have their respawn frames defined?

Lobo said:

Sounds to me like a DDF-related problem, though I'd have to look into it. Maybe some things are flagged as respawnable, but don't have their respawn frames defined?

I have a found a solution to the problem, I think. In Counter DooM, if you turn on item respawn in EDGE, most likely it will crash and display the "P_MobjItemRespawn: No such item type!" message before you go back to the desktop. It's best to turn off item respawn to resolve it. This fix may also work with Earthbound DooM, but I'm not sure that it may resolved the problem.