Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
optimus2861

Linux & PrBoom/Doom Legacy: Sound??

OK, I'm banging my head against the wall here. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Problem: both PrBoom & Doom Legacy won't play sound correctly under my Linux setup (Mandrake 9.2, 2.4.22 kernel). If I just start the executables normally, I get no error messages, but no sound at all. If I start the executables through "artsdsp", I get sound, but it lags badly, about a second behind the action on the screen. Obviously neither way is any fun :(. I've also tried killing arts before starting, but that didn't help either -- still no sound. I don't have any sound problems in any other apps in my distro, so it's not hardware-related.

I've been searching these forums, newsgroups, mailing lists, and nothing seems to point in the direction of a fix that I can find.

Anyone else dealt with this?

Have you tried posting on the legacy forums?

For legacy, which executable are you using?

I am assuming your running x server...

From a quick look I don't see anything in the prboom forums that addresses this problem. But that's probably the best place to ask about and/or report the problem (w.r.t. prboom).

I don't know about prboom, but the linux version of legacy uses timidity - so make sure thats installed.

Thank you both. I will try on those forums and report back what I find. (Though I'm going to be out of town the next few days so it may be a while..)

arts is bad for realtime audio. You will probably have the same problem with most non-KDE games.

Try "killall artsd" immediately before running prboom, or disable it in KControl. (I think, it's called "KDE Soundserver" there.)