Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

By the way, I recomend Risen3D instead of jDoom. It's a Boom based version of jDoom (not created by Doomsday) and it supports Boom special effects and handles openGL a lot better. The only thing is it takes an ass long time to start up.

Oh No Its Kyle said:

By the way, I recomend Risen3D instead of jDoom. It's a Boom based version of jDoom (not created by Doomsday) and it supports Boom special effects and handles openGL a lot better. The only thing is it takes an ass long time to start up.

That's because it's based on a really old version of JDoom. In the older versions of JDoom, it would take 30 seconds to a minute to load models. Now it takes, what, 5 seconds max? It'd be nice to see SkyJake implement boom into JDoom itself, though. Well, at least it's getting the Hexen map format I think.

I prefer sprites over models myself, though. Just something about models in Doom is wierd, but it's nice to see people trying to make models that are accurate to the original sprites (DaniJ for example)

Agent: What are you talking about? Risen3D takes five minutes to start up and then less than a minute to load each level AND it runs faster AND looks better than jDoom. jDoom takes about four minutes to start up, two to five minutes per level depending on your difficulty level, and then slow as shit if there are a lot of things to render and it gets worse if you run hires textures. (I haven't run Risen with the hires textures but I assume since everything else in Risen has kicked ass so far the hires textures in it won't cause massive slow down on my computer either.)

Oh No Its Kyle said: jDoom takes about four minutes to start up, two to five minutes per level depending on your difficulty level, and then slow as shit if there are a lot of things to render and it gets worse if you run hires textures.[/B]

You should not be torturing your computer with jDoom.

Somebody hell this.

This thread shouldn't of even been thought up of.

Reichsadler said:

Hi folks!

Do you know the website of doomsdayhq.com ?

There you can download a special DooM modification which allows you to play DooM 1,2 Final Doom, Ultimate Doom,... in modern 3D graphics!

Have a look at these pictures:

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/screenshots/jdoom/demons.jpg
http://www.doomsdayhq.com/screenshots/jdoom/decor1.jpg

edit: I've posted this thread in the wrong forum. Sorry :( Please transfer it into WADs and mods

No! I didn't! I'm retarded like this: freewebs.com/bashe/duyh!.jpg

Oh No Its Kyle said:

Agent: What are you talking about? Risen3D takes five minutes to start up and then less than a minute to load each level AND it runs faster AND looks better than jDoom. jDoom takes about four minutes to start up, two to five minutes per level depending on your difficulty level, and then slow as shit if there are a lot of things to render and it gets worse if you run hires textures. (I haven't run Risen with the hires textures but I assume since everything else in Risen has kicked ass so far the hires textures in it won't cause massive slow down on my computer either.)

I was talking about how long it takes to load models.

Of course, I have yet to say what JDoom does to my computer when I have everything on full blast (Models, Hi-resolution textures/flats, etc.). It'll start out just fine, and run good for about 4 to 5 levels. After a certain amount of time playing, I'll start noticing some textures starting to garble up and look like black walls with garbled text on them. Soon the same thing happens for the models, and everything else, until the whole thing goes into meltdown. Of course, this never happened when I had an nVidia card. Hmm.

insertwackynamehere said:

A mod would mean they changed sprites or levels in WAD file, and a source port actually changes the executable. But yeah, it is cool

heh

i like zdoom better, it stays closer to the original.
and those models look like like crap,only those high-res textures looks cool.

Metal_Sonic said:

i would like to see you do better

That doesn't change their actual quality.

Why is shit always excused with 'you can't do better so don't complain?'

No offenece, but I have never been a fan of the models. The Baron and Cacodemon look extremly goofy and are more cartoon like than the sprites are. The Pistol and fist are jokes. The shotgun's reloading animation lakcs the charm the sprtie version does. The BFG looks like a longer version of the sprite. The Cyb dies worse than the sprite one does. The SMMs death isn't nearly as cool as the sprite one is. The way the models walk looks bizzare. And the damage that the monsters get as you hurt them more looks out of place and undoomish. Plus the models can create a ton of slowdown if your computer isn't the greatest thing out there.

The only models I'm impressed with are the zombie trooper, plasma gun and the shotgun guy. They actually look like there was a ton of effort put into them. However, I must admit the preview for the newest jDoom model pack looks extremly good. (especially the Plasma Gun <3)

Why is shit always excused with 'you can't do better so don't complain?'

It's because some people are greatful for the time/effort the authors put into them regardless of there quality.

A lot of people are still using the old jDoom modelpack anyway, that is based on models created by Team SOG more than 5 years ago. And yes those models are shit by todays standards.

AgentSpork said:

I was talking about how long it takes to load models.

Of course, I have yet to say what JDoom does to my computer when I have everything on full blast (Models, Hi-resolution textures/flats, etc.). It'll start out just fine, and run good for about 4 to 5 levels. After a certain amount of time playing, I'll start noticing some textures starting to garble up and look like black walls with garbled text on them. Soon the same thing happens for the models, and everything else, until the whole thing goes into meltdown. Of course, this never happened when I had an nVidia card. Hmm.

Disable mipmapping in the graphics option of opengl via the kicker program.