Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Muscle Chris

what's the most basic port..?

..but still a good one?

i haven't done doom for a while so these ports are kinda new to me. i'm thinking about making a map and i wanna use something thats closest to doom but doesnt have a bunch of problems and works in windows. it looks like boom (stupid name) is the one everything is based off right? so a map using that would be the most playable on the most ports.

Muscle Chris said:

LOL what's with all the silly port names?

just what i'm looking for tho, thanks bro

"Muscle Chris" is a sensible name? :-P

Given how old Doom is, it's important to keep a sense of humour or I think I'll go insane.

Most people refer to the original Doom as "Vanilla". Chocolate is a different flavour of ice cream.

Rum and raisin Doom?
Mint choc-chip Doom?
Raspberry ripple Doom?
Pistachio Doom?...

;)

fraggle said:

"Muscle Chris" is a sensible name? :-P

Given how old Doom is, it's important to keep a sense of humour or I think I'll go insane.

LOL yea it's ridiculously blunt but it suits me. i figured ports would name after their features

anyway somebody else told me everybody called standard doom vanilla. i didn't know that, so it makes sense now (thx anyway enjay)

i wasn't making fun, just asking cuz i thought i was missing some inside joke. i also see fish icons all over.. hmmm

Blasphemy! My new fishy is missing from there. :O

Muscle Chris said:

LOL yea it's ridiculously blunt but it suits me. i figured ports would name after their features

So, like Doom Legacy should be named:
3d floorclientserverfragglescriptedboomsupportingopenglmultiplatformsupported etc etc Doom?

exp(x) said:

I wish my fish was in there... :(

Um, if you want a very basic port with no special features, you can always go with Doom95! **

Could that even be considered a port?

Lizardcommando said:

Could that even be considered a port?

It would depend on your definition of the term "port".

The correct use of the term meaning to port existing code from one operating system/environment/programing language to another. So since the original DOOM code was ported to run under Windows by Microsoft then - yes.

However, if you consider the term to mean a non-offical update of the original source code as in "source-port" (as our community has commonly accepted it), then - no.

exp(x) said:

ummm.. yea, those. wtf?

So, like Doom Legacy should be named:
3d floorclientserverfragglescriptedboomsupportingopenglmultiplatformsupported etc etc Doom?

LOL no i didn't mean that c'mon now.

i was looking at the DW ports list and see stuff like Doom3D, DoomGL, DSHexen, IASDoom, NetDoom, Win32Doom, y'know?

and LOL @ crashdoom, i guess i'll skip that one

i don't even need all that

Muscle Chris said:

i don't even need all that

If you like doom mods you will need them. Somebody invariably releases a great mod for a port you don't primarily use, and if you love good mods, then you'll grab it... it being some alternative port, be it zdoom, legacy, eternity or jdoom.

The exceptions being edge, risen3d and vavoom since nobody makes anything for those ports :P

Now now, I've played some nice wads for Vavoom. And The Korax mod is made with Vavoom.

Same goes for EDGE, which may be a port with only one or two "high profile" project (Qdoom, and I guess "A wad I pulled out of my ass" :p)

I don't know about Risen3d though. I heard once that you had to pay to use it? O_o Sounded absurd, and I am sure it was just a joke.

Scuba Steve said:

If you like doom mods you will need them. Somebody invariably releases a great mod for a port you don't primarily use, and if you love good mods, then you'll grab it... it being some alternative port, be it zdoom, legacy, eternity or jdoom.

whoa hold up, sorry bro, i meant for what i want to make. i was asking so i could do a map of my own, that's why i said i was thinking about making a map when i posted. last thing i made was years ago, some 3-sector maze with a few windows to an outdoor area. theres no way i'm gonna try 3d floors and all that new stuff when i'm still getting to basics.

anyway my last stuff was just trying random things, this time i've at least got an idea.

The exceptions being edge, risen3d and vavoom since nobody makes anything for those ports :P [/B]

k

doom

yea, couldn't agree more..

Kristus, besides that I was kidding, I completely forgot about QDoom, which was great. Vavoom, I've never been able to get running and Risen3D has a couple desent levels by sitters. So yeah, there is probably at least one good level for each port.

Muscle Chris said:

anyway somebody else told me everybody called standard doom vanilla. i didn't know that, so it makes sense now (thx anyway enjay)

i wasn't making fun, just asking cuz i thought i was missing some inside joke. i also see fish icons all over.. hmmm

By the way, if you think "Chocolate Doom" is silly, check out the name of my previous port:

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/SMMU

fraggle said:

By the way, if you think "Chocolate Doom" is silly, check out the name of my previous port:

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/SMMU

To continue the theme of silly port names:

There was a port of the original linuxdoom-1.10 sources to RISC OS which I used for a number of years; before linuxdoom's GPL relicensing, it was distributed as a patch which you had to apply and then compile yourself. Hence its name:

Doom It Yourself!