Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Any decent ZDoom frontends around?

HobbsTiger1 said:

You realize that A) PKZip doesn't require switches plural to unpack files, at least not versions I used,

You're right, it isn't required, But he insisted on using them anyway :)

and B) That using the command line can sometimes yield better compression than the paltry amount of options the dialogue box offers.

Actually in this guys case I never saw him specify -ex nor -en nor any of the others ;) but that's beside the point because now we're back on to trying to convince people why they shouldn't use a GUI.

Joe said:
I'd use the command line in windows but the shell sucks the big one.

Both MSYS and Cygwin come with bash (not to mention native Win32 ports of rxvt, if that interests you)...

CODOR said:

Both MSYS and Cygwin come with bash (not to mention native Win32 ports of rxvt, if that interests you)...

Cygwin can launch an executable outside of Cygwin?

Lobo said:
If he wants a GUI launcher then there's no need to harp on at him about why he shouldn't use one.

Certainly, though this started because the frontend was not satisfactory. Explaining alternatives (the command line, drag-dropping, the console, and other launchers) can't be bad in that case, unless someone decides to spurt out an enhanced ZDL build. And in the command line's case you can't say how useful it can be if you don't illustrate how.

ducon said:
Cygwin can launch an executable outside of Cygwin?

It seems to work with most Win32 apps, just remember that the current directory isn't in the PATH, so you have to specify it (i.e. ./prboom). Cygwin "mounts" your Windows drives as /cygdrive/c for drive C:, and so on.

Vanilla doom2.exe even runs under the console-style app, but doesn't under rxvt -- it freezes when it comes time to switch video modes. Presumably other DOS-based ports would act the same. Win32-based ones of course work fine.

Lobo said:

Just get over it: all the original poster wanted is a possible alternative to ZDoom Launcher, not a rant on the (supposed) benefits of the commandline.

How true, how true :-)

Ironically, back in the DOS days I just used the commandline, despite there being some pretty cool and complete frontends around, or at most a .bat file for starting up complex TCs and the such.

I started this post just because ZDoom Launcher sucked ass, and somehow it managed to NEUTER ZDoom's own settings (especially sound setting) to 0 volume etc. completely ignoring the .cfg and regardless of what you specified :-)

As of now I'm using ZDL (hasn't got the serious configuration problems of ZDoom Launcher, respects .cfg settings).

OK, maybe it's not the fanciest or better frontend made for Doom source ports, but it works better then ZDoom Launcher.

However, it still seems strange how there are, in practice, only those 2 frontends around.

Either they are soooooo good that everybody uses them and has noooooo complaints at all :rolleyes: or everyone is a command line guru (in 2006?)

As I said, I rest my case -_-;