Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pirx

Port compatible with both BOOM and ZDOOM

as i'm tired with testing various ports, is there a port compatible with both BOOM and ZDOOM?

i'm just trying to find a port which lets one play wads made for these 2.

zdoom. gzdoom. mostly Skulltag, missing some Hexen and maybe Strife stuff. and kinda Zdaemon, based on an ancient version of ZDoom.

Torr Samaho said:

as i'm tired with testing various ports, is there a port compatible with both BOOM and ZDOOM?

i'm just trying to find a port which lets one play wads made for these 2.

Doesn't exist.

ZDoom can do everything Boom can do but not the other way around. If you make your level work with Boom it will work with ZDoom.

If you make your level work with Doom/Doom2.exe or even Chocolate Doom it will work with every port in existance.

stphrz said:

If you make your level work with Boom it will work with ZDoom. ... If you make your level work with Doom/Doom2.exe or even Chocolate Doom it will work with every port in existance.

Unless of course, your map makes use of a quirk that a particular port's author has decided is a bug and has therefore fixed. Or that has been accidentally removed in the course of implementing something else.

But yes, generally speaking Zdoom supports Boom's features. It doesn't attempt to *emulate* Boom though.

EE will eventually support a VERY small subset of Hexen-format zdoom maps, as I'm trying my hardest to be compatible with zdoom's line specs and script functions. Right now they wouldn't be playable to any extent. You could load them, but pretty much nothing would work.

thanks for your help guys. i get to play doom very rarely nowadays, as you might guess by the frequency of my posts here...

i use mostly gzdoom now as it combines overall compatibility with good graphics, while jdoom / risen3d don't support zdoom maps which are the common choice of the mappers.