Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kooltore

enable extra stuff in gzdoom

Ok, this probably is a dumb question but anyways. I have the latest gzdoom version, and it says it supports a special translucent effect (correct me if im wrong plz) in strife, but that it needs shader supporting card. I only have an old radeon 9200se in this older computer. I've also heard that there were a special "beta" release of the catalyst drivers for version 6.5, which was the last version to support that card. If i install those beta drivers would i get those features gzdoom claims, or do i need a new card(not likely done, since im not spending on this old computer)?

thanks

...well, this is why i keep coming back to this great doom community. Everybody is more than willing to help each other out and are not so too far high up above the rest of us unskilled in doom's techical guts mortals to give you a hand. (by the way, that was irony).

kooltore, it may be possible that the people who read your message in the twenty-three hours and ten minutes before you posted your second post, simply don't know. Of course, they could all post 'I don't know.', but would that really help you?

Well, I have Strife, I have the latest release of GZDoom, and I have a NVidia Geforce 8600M GS installed, but I don't know whether you'll be able to enjoy the special translucent effect after you install the special beta release of the catalyst drivers for version 6.5 supporting your old radeon 9200se. I hope that information was helpful.

kooltore said:

Ok, this probably is a dumb question but anyways.

Not at all. Just be a bit more patient, and expect the possibility that people just don't know.

hehehehe, neat joke. Yeah, scorpion, i guess i wont enjoy those traslucent effects in strife. BTW, if those effects are native to strife, how did people get to see them back when strife was released, before video cards even existed?

Damn, so i guess i need a new card, bloodshedder.

kooltore, it's usually not a very nice thing to act like a dick to people who post helpful responses.

As for your question, since I'm being nice enough to answer, GZDoom uses an OpenGL renderer. It doesn't matter what was native to Strife's software renderer, because GZDoom doesn't use it. If your video card is too old to support rendering the translucency effects in OpenGL, sorry chief. Go blame it on that Bloodshedder guy, though.

The only cards that didn't support translucency were some very shitty first generation cards like the Matrox Mystique. That was more than 11 years ago. Any Radeon is at least good enough to run GZDoom with most effects. The only things I'm not sure about are shader based effects. The only thing that absolutely requires shaders is brightness maps which are used in Strife to handle the fullbright colors in the palette.

The other shader effects can be emulated in software - that includes warped textures and colormap effects (like Doom's invulnerability colors)